Help-my workout clothes are putrid!

Options
So this would be an embarassing problem if not for the fact that the horrible smell coming from my workout clothes is evidence that I'm working my a** off, right? I think that I might be time to just throw some of them away, especially my shirts. However, I wanted to get your advice first. I use Tide Sport, the new laundry pellets, and fabric softener sheets. This seems to get most of the stinch out, but there's still some odor left. I heard that adding baking soda and vinegar helps. What's your opinion? What has worked best for you? How long do you keep your workout clothes, before you accept defeat and throw in the sweaty towel?

Replies

• dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If any piece of clothing smells after you wash it I would throw it out. Nothing should smell after you wash it.

Are you taking supplements? If so, some of the additives might be coming out through your sweat causing the odor.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    How old are these clothes we're talking about here?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I do add soda crystals to my laundry but this is mainly to prevent limescale build up. It may help with odours too though.

If damp clothes are left in a bag or something for a while they will start to smell more. Be sure to put gym clothes in the wash as soon as possible after wearing.

Other than that I think it may be time to throw them away and start again.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Do not throw the clothes away.

Add a cup of white vinegar to the wash. The new tech clothes hold odors and vinegar will do the trick. I use vinegar on my boat, the head (marine heads are a whole other challenge), the bilge, the galley, and it does better than any household cleaners on the market.

Also so do not put the tech clothes in the dryer. Hang them up; they dry very quickly.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Are they dri-fit aka wicking sweat workout clothes? If so fabric softener will worsen the smell. It coats the fabric fibers sealing in the stink.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Tide, Borax, vinegar and let them soak for a bit before the wash cycle. If that doesn't help it's time to toss.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you read the label, you would see that you are NOT supposed to fabric softener with moisture wicking clothes.

I'd say throw them out and by new, since you ruined these ones most likely.
  • Amberamazes
    Amberamazes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hear vinegar works for smells.
  • lemgang
    Options
    Tide & Borax in warm water wash works for our clothes.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sorry I hit send too soon! I used to cloth diaper so I consider myself pretty darn good at stink removal! I do a pre rinse with just cold water, wash as normal- no fabric softener- and dry as usual. A vinegar rinse will help a lot! Also, letting the clothes dry outside in warmer weather helps- the sun is a natural bleach. Once a tech shirt is around a year old though, in most cases it's best to throw away and get a new shirt! My husband works out on average 9x a week so his clothes get stinkier quicker than mine at 4x/ week.
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. Some of my shirts are a couple of years old, so they might have to go.But most of my clothes are about a year old. I forgot to mention that I live in Texas and often jog outside, which means profuse sweating!
  • phdiva12
    Options
    If you read the label, you would see that you are NOT supposed to fabric softener with moisture wicking clothes.

I'd say throw them out and by new, since you ruined these ones most likely.

I don't have moisture wicking clothes.
  • phdiva12
    Options
    If any piece of clothing smells after you wash it I would throw it out. Nothing should smell after you wash it.

Are you taking supplements? If so, some of the additives might be coming out through your sweat causing the odor.

Not taking any supplements-it's just really hot in Texas and I sweat a lot!
  • phdiva12
    Options
    Tide, Borax, vinegar and let them soak for a bit before the wash cycle. If that doesn't help it's time to toss.

Thank you- will try!
  • phdiva12
    Options
    Sorry I hit send too soon! I used to cloth diaper so I consider myself pretty darn good at stink removal! I do a pre rinse with just cold water, wash as normal- no fabric softener- and dry as usual. A vinegar rinse will help a lot! Also, letting the clothes dry outside in warmer weather helps- the sun is a natural bleach. Once a tech shirt is around a year old though, in most cases it's best to throw away and get a new shirt! My husband works out on average 9x a week so his clothes get stinkier quicker than mine at 4x/ week.

Thank you for the advice- I think I will try to get some tech and moisture-wicking clothes!
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Vinegar does help. I think leave the fabric softener out as it causes a residue on any type of clothing and will only make clothes you sweat in even worse. Also perhaps try Nelli's laundry soda. We live overseas and I was noticing my clothes smelling sometimes for no reason (the whole load, I attribute it to the water here) I switched to this laundry detergent and haven't gone back in a year it's great! It's all natural, leaves no odors, cleans great, and isn't perfumed. Saved my sanity also in the potty training phase with my now 3 year old child. http://www.amazon.com/Nellies-NLS-100T-Natural-Laundry-soda/dp/B001GODIEE/ref=pd_sim_hg_2
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So this would be an embarassing problem if not for the fact that the horrible smell coming from my workout clothes is evidence that I'm working my a** off, right? I think that I might be time to just throw some of them away, especially my shirts. However, I wanted to get your advice first. I use Tide Sport, the new laundry pellets, and fabric softener sheets. This seems to get most of the stinch out, but there's still some odor left. I heard that adding baking soda and vinegar helps. What's your opinion? What has worked best for you? How long do you keep your workout clothes, before you accept defeat and throw in the sweaty towel?

Add a tbsp of Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) to your wash cycle and then add vinegar to your rinse. I would ditch the softener as it may coat your clothes in stuff that will prevent water from passing through. I bought a couple of shirts from brooks that have soemthing in them to prevent stink and it actually works.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    My husband had this problem a lot before we got a Samsung SilverCare washer. It pushes silver particles (highly antibacterial) through the wash cycle. Makes all the difference, and he rarely has to soak anything now. Obviously getting a new washer isn't always possible. The white vinegar sounds like a very good tactic.

Anytime we need to soak something for odor (even cat pee), I use Simple Green concentrate. Since it's a degreaser it might also help remove some of the residue from fabric softeners from the tech fibers.

I hate liquid fabric softener, can't get my husband to part with it though. Nevertheless, the SilverCare seems to prevent the odor trapping issue from happening.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot but my clothes that are several years old are just fine. I suggest you air them out before they go into the hamper and have enough so you can rotate them.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Vinegar (apple cider vinegar specifically) is good at removing musty smells. Baking soda and vinegar is good at making volcanos, and cleaning toilets (with said volcano action). I don't know about a volcano in my washing machine.