I've hit my plateau

Options
So after losing 120+ lbs over a 2 year period I've hit my plateau with only 20 lbs to go. But I am not so sure it's just my body that has become accustomed to the food and exercise, I think a lot of it is me. Because now I allow myself to treats and I skipped a day here and there of working out, but it's not just that. Almost everyday at least 1 person tells me "You are getting too skinny", "Why are you still losing weight you look great" and so on... At 173 lbs my goal is 150 and I REALLY want to hit that, but I think everyone else is getting me down, sometimes their comment come off that I wont be able to achieve my goal. so I am just at this stand still, I had all of these plans to lose most of my last 20 lbs by April 14 when I go on my first real vacation ever, I just started trying to lower my carb and sugar intake and I 've been looking into an elliptical for my home and was even going to sign up for Zumba, but now I'm, just like what's that point.

Has anyone come to this point in their "Journey", or any advise that will just help me to keep pushing forward???

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,213 Member
    Options
    You have done exceptionally well and the last 20 pounds are the hardest! As you identified, sometimes it's just us. When you you've been losing weight for sometime, it's understandable that you can get tired of the routine...the tracking, the logging, turning down invitations to go out because you know it won't fit into your food log etc. That's all completely normal and to be expected.

If 150 is a good goal weight for you based on your height/weight, I'm sure there's no reason you can't reach it. Clearly, you've mastered the keys to successful weight loss. I might suggest 2 different approaches from here.

1. Hunker down for the last 20. Make sure you are weighing and measuring your food intake as well as your exercise cals and that your caloric deficit isn't too large. It probably will take awhile to lose the last 20, but that's OK. A smaller caloric deficit preserves lean body mass.

2. Put the last 20 pounds on hold for awhile and make the transition to maintenance. Honestly, your maintenance strategy needs as much thought and planning as your weight loss strategy, yet few people do that. As you know, most people regain the weight that they've lost, for a variety of factors. You don't have to fall into that category. Planning and refining your maintenance strategy is key. I've been at maintenance for 7 months now and there's NO WAY the 45 pounds I've lost will be coming back! Transitioning to maintenance allows you a mental and physical break (or sorts) from calorie restriction and that can be rejuvenating. Please consider joining the National Weight Control Registry (http://www.nwcr.ws/) that databases successful "losers" (those who have lost 30 pounds or more and kept it off for at least a year) to understand the keys to maintaining weight loss. For myself, it provides additional incentive to stay on course. If I'm in the database as a success story, how on Earth can I let myself regain the weight? :smile:

Best of luck! You can do this! You are already an outstanding success story!
  • witchiipooh
    witchiipooh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I have thought about just holding off for a little while, but I am just so scared of gaining weight back, I used to be just under 300 lbs and I never EVER want my weight to get like that again. I guess I am just not confident in myself that I can have the self control to maintain weight, even if I do get to the 150 mark....
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck as well for the past 2+ months but I've added weights to my exercise and haven't done my cardio so it was expected. Once the weather warms up and I can get out for my walks again I know the weight will start to move again. Its harder to lose the closer you get to your goal weight. I have less than 20 to go or so as well. I'm not going to quit thats for sure. Just came to the realization that its going to be slower now that's all. Hang in there. Things will move again.
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    All I can add to what has been said is my Congratulations!!! (Sometimes the skinny comments are made by overweight people that are jealous-you decide what you want to look like.)