I learnt the hard way: SAVE YOURSELF!!

Options
13»

Replies

• GeekTink
    GeekTink Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump! This is amazing advice!
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great post! It took me a long time to clue in as well. The scale reflects weight which includes everything - water, fat, muscle, when all we really want to lose is fat. I'm looking forward to taking my measurements in a few months time. Thank you again for the reminder!
  • NHoughton13
    Options
    I needed this today also. I know I'm feeling better, but always let the scale dictate my mood for the day. I have to focus on being proud of myself for doing some type of exercise everyday (walk, 30DS) after years of being a couch potato.

Thanks for the post, it got me out of my "poor me" funk today :happy:
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great post! Since I started my new journey back in November I made a promise to myself not to look at the scale regularly because in the past it was my biggest negative regarding motivation and decided that I would only get on the scale once a month for the first three months. I stuck to that promise to myself and I have lost just over 33 lbs since the end of October 2012.

I also noticed a lot of other things. I was sleeping better, I was finding a lot easier to do things that used to leave me short of breath three months earlier. When I had to put another notch in a few of my belts I also realized that it wasn't just the scale that mattered. I saw pictures of myself a few days before I started my journey and then on New Years. I couldn't believe how much my face and neck had changed - it was if I had found a fountain of youth and took off about 5-7 years off my looks without a problem.

Remember, our bodies are big chemical plants, each of which is very different some needing a slightly different chemical fuel source than another.

Stay positive, and turn to others who better understand you then at times those who you are in touch with regularly, including family members who can often be toxic - particularly those who have never really had weight issues.
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post...having trouble staying motivated so this was good for me to read! Best Wishes!
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Needed this after a bad date with my scale this morning. Thanks for your wisdom.
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great post! Since I started my new journey back in November I made a promise to myself not to look at the scale regularly because in the past it was my biggest negative regarding motivation and decided that I would only get on the scale once a month for the first three months. I stuck to that promise to myself and I have lost just over 33 lbs since the end of October 2012.

I also noticed a lot of other things. I was sleeping better, I was finding a lot easier to do things that used to leave me short of breath three months earlier. When I had to put another notch in a few of my belts I also realized that it wasn't just the scale that mattered. I saw pictures of myself a few days before I started my journey and then on New Years. I couldn't believe how much my face and neck had changed - it was if I had found a fountain of youth and took off about 5-7 years off my looks without a problem.

Remember, our bodies are big chemical plants, each of which is very different some needing a slightly different chemical fuel source than another.

Stay positive, and turn to others who better understand you then at times those who you are in touch with regularly, including family members who can often be toxic - particularly those who have never really had weight issues.

This is such a great story! Seriously inspirational! Well done, you're doing incredible!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Nice to hear someone get that out there. This is the reason I don't weigh myself except for every couple weeks. It's not worth the anxiety. I feel healthy, my clothes fit, and I FEEL GREAT. That is good enough for me.

^^^ This!! Only I weigh myself every couple of months, if I happen to be near a scale at the doctor's office or gym. I spent many years obsessing over the numbers on the scale. Not worth it! Go by how you feel!! Thanks, OP, for starting this conversation. Happy for you that you've discovered the secret to long term success. Best of luck achieving your goals, whatever they may be!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I definitely needed this post this morning. It was exactly what I was looking for!
    I also lost weight pretty quickly the first month, which definitely felt awesome. But I gradually added in exercise because I wanted to do it the right way, and now that I'm exercising just about every day, the scale has been hovering around the same number for the past couple of weeks. It can be very discouraging to hop on the scale and see that, after so much hard work, the number hasn't changed. But I'm so much stronger than I was when I first started, my pants are having trouble staying up, and the measuring tape tells me that I'm still heading in the right direction despite what the scale has to say.
    After all the reading I've done on the forums, and after weighing myself every day, I know that weight loss isn't linear. Of course I want fast results, but I also want my goal weight body to be a healthy body. So I'm just gonna keep on truckin', and the scale has to catch up eventually!
    Thank you for this post!
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You definitely read my mind! I too was down this morning about the scale not moving. Partly though because of my food choices despite being within my calorie goal and working out intensely. But this is just what I needed. I will definitely weigh myself less and measure and take pics more. Hopefully I'll be able to kick the weigh in habit all together!
  • anna32aries
    anna32aries Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Scale hasn't moved for 2 weeks so today I whipped out the measuring tape and did a mid month check in (usually just measure 1/month) and to my delight saw the drop in inches. I like to track my weight fluctuations on the scale but as I get closer to goal the measuring tape is my best friend!
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Scale hasn't moved for 2 weeks so today I whipped out the measuring tape and did a mid month check in (usually just measure 1/month) and to my delight saw the drop in inches. I like to track my weight fluctuations on the scale but as I get closer to goal the measuring tape is my best friend!

That's awesome!

I can't wait until I can measure in a few weeks time!
  • Kirijyma
    Options
    Excellent post, I am having to remind myself constantly of this!
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I really needed to see this today -- I have a LOT of weight to lose -- so seeing the numbers on the scale decline is highly motivating. And they declined rapidly the first couple weeks -- then I started exercising -- swimming mostly, then added a daily walk. And the scale has positively stalled! And I am feeling so frustrated -- almost to the point of chucking it! Very happy to see this post this morning. If I know I am making the right food choices and doing exercise -- I just need to keep on, keeping on -- and not be such a slave to that scale. I know I am doing my body a lot of good in other respects.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself several times a week. I don't always like the results, but I do like seeing what my weight is doing so I can make adjustments. People are different.
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one! Isn't it funny how we get so involved with our own progress we forget everyone is the same!

I dropped 11lbs in a month which is brilliant considering I only had 22lbs to lose. Now I have stalled with no loss for 2 weeks but I feel better and my hips and waist went down by 1cm in that time. Not much but every little helps :)

I have been in a crappy mood all day wondering what I'm doing wrong but you've made me remember I'm not doing anything 'wrong' apart from being impatient and not looking at the bigger picture.

Thank you for cheering me up. :flowerforyou: