here we go :)

Options
Hi, I'm Kristi. I have heard a lot of good things about MyFitnessPal to help track calories and keep people accountable. That's why I am starting to use it. :)

My weakness is salty, crunchy foods. I love to snack, so I am trying to find smarter choices when I have those cravings.

I love fruit and veggies, so I don't have any problem there. However, portion control is also a big weakness. I love food! I need to learn to eat smaller portions more often vs. larger ones three times a day. I just recently changed jobs, so working in food every couple of hours will not be as big of an issue as it was in my previous job where I was always in meetings and hardly sitting still.

Sitting still brings up my next goal: walking at least three times a week. I could lose myself in one of my favorite TV shows while walking on the treadmill, so why don't I do that? I'm still trying to find that answer. :)

Well, that's it about me and why I am here. I am open to any and all suggestions about how you have been or want to be successful. Thanks!

Replies

• sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My trouble is portion control but with mfp you can have a big portion as long as you log it. weigh everything and be honest with your logging. i thought it would be hard but as long as i stay in my calorie number its ok.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    Portion control was hard for me too, but I've just been brutally honest with my logging (even with my condiments) and don't be afraid to measure (we counted out our fries yesterday haha). You'll see results as long as you keep honest.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    yummy...salty crunchy foods! Me too! The only solution I have found for myself is just to not keep them in the house. I am the first to admit I have no control over them. I keep some of those 100 calorie packs of crackers or cookies in the house now and I am able to just open one. I cant keep boxes of stuff though...I will just keep going back to it. Logging things eally helps you to stay focused and accountable to yourself with what you are doing. Yesterday I was out running around and not really paying too much attention to what I was eating, then I got home and did some work and never sat down to log it all. I am pretty sure I ended up over my limits yesterday. Started again this morning logging right away. It makes me more focused on what I am doing!

I measure most things still. I find that your "eyeball portions" tend to grow after awhile if you dont keep measuring. A good digital kitchen scale is your friend! MFP is a great tool and you get out of it what you put into it! Best of luck :happy:
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I think portion control is probably a very common problem with those of us using MFP. It seriously does help to weigh/measure everything before you eat it and log it in. The sticker shock of seeing exactly how many calories you were planning on putting into your body can help put a damper on difficulties with portion control. Just remember, if it gets away from you every now and then (like when I eat an entire box of cheez-its), don't let it derail you. Log it in and keep going. Don't let one bad day convince you that it can't be done.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Controlling your portions will get easier as you lose weight because your stomache will shrink therefor you will get full quicker.
    Now to do this i would suggest cardio with a heart rate monitor. Cardio will not only help you torch the calories, it will decrease your appetite but increase your water intake.
    when i first started on this site i couldn't even do 3 minutes on the eliptical, but i slowly worked my way up until i was at 60 mins which = 600 calories most of the time for me.
    start off slow, and work your way up. the pounds will melt away! good luck!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Can you make a rule for yourself that you can't watch your favorite TV shows (or any TV, maybe) unless you're on the treadmill or have already done 30 or 60 minutes of activity?
  • jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use to get up in the morning and sit and watch the news before I would get ready for work. I now watch the news at the gym. I have very few days that I'm not at the gym before work now.