Care to Share Meat-less Recipes?

Options
cngarland
cngarland Posts: 6 Member
I'm a semi picky eater. I'm trying to broaden my diet as I tend to stick to the same things. I eat meat, just looking for some recipes without it! My problem is, I don't know what to eat. I'm also trying to eat more fresh/homemade foods but will still eat some things out of cans. What's your favorite low calorie meal?

Replies

• messy_Missy16
    messy_Missy16 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you want to broaden your diet look up Trinidad cuisines/recipes on google, a lot of new different tasty thing you could try
  • charbar217
    Options
    I love meat too but luckily I like veggies too... any way this one is pretty hardy ...
    tNot sure if you will like this -- but healthy and filling: There are lots of recipes out there that are variations on this one
    2 Portabella Mushrooms - scoop out the innards - toss. Save the Stem and chop.
    I use on box of frozen spinach - thawed and sauteed in a table spoon of OO and minced garlic and chopped stem and a tablespoon of parmesean. You can mix in some cottage cheese or ricotta into the spinach if you like...
    scoop the spinach mix into the portabella caps and top with mozarella cheese and a sprinkle of parm ( can you tell I like cheese :) ) -- I then sometimes drizzle some balsamic vinegar on it....
    Put in broiler/toaster oven until cheese is toasty.

from start to table maybe takes 30 mins....
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness that's tricky. There are so many good options and it all depends on what you like to eat! I love to do a veggie curry. You can toss in whatever veg you like (I usually do sweet potato, zucchini, cauliflower, etc.) and use your fav curry paste and light coconut milk to make the sauce. You can eat the veggies just like that, or if you need some more bang for your buck, serve on brown rice or quinoa. You could always do a whole grain pasta dish with sauteed baby vegetables. And if you like beans and legumes, the options are even better because you can throw a can of no-salt-added chickpeas into your curries or pasta for extra protein, etc. If you're thinking about adding in more meat-less meals, you may want to invest in a good vegetarian/vegan cookbook. One of my favs is "Everyday Happy Herbivore" by Lindsay Nixon. 30 minute vegan meals with easy to find ingredients. Done :)
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My OH makes this all the time - veggie, cheap and super low cal for such a filling meal (he replaces the tbsp olive oil with a few sprays of one-cal spray oil)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9795/mushroom-and-rice-onepot

We sometimes substitute the mushrooms for cooked chicken breast too

Rosey x
  • kgeldreich
    Options
    A big delicious bowl of this:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/kathys-slow-cooker-hot-and-sour-soup.html

Or bake trays in the oven of kale, mushrooms, and butternut squash. Just wash and stick in the oven until they are browned and delicious. Then you can throw it on top of quinoa or whatever.