Any other science minded people out there?

Options
Bit of a clash with fitness, but just wondering if there were. Could always use a bit more of that in my life. :)

Replies

• norghost
    Options
    Not sure if it's what you meant, but I'm definitely interested in the science behind nutrition and fitness. I'm very much a rookie, though. I just started two weeks ago and suddenly got very excited about learning what exactly is happening in my body in regards to metabolism, digestion and exercise. Partly because I want to know how I work and partly because there is so much nonsense/broscience and so many myths floating around, I want to be able to confidently debunk them and help others reach their goals. I feel like I kinda have to lead by example on that.

I've been reading a lot of Lyle McDonald's stuff ('The Ketogenic Diet' and his website www.bodyrecomposition.com) and Martin Berkhan (www.leangains.com).
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love reading about the science of nutrition and fitness. It is so very complicated, and there is so much pseudo science out there!

I like Lyle McDonald's stuff as well. He lays out solid advice, IMO, and backs it up with good arguments and citing research papers.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Why does this clash with fitness? I'm about a year away from a PhD in chemistry. I don't think it has anything to do with fitness, other than making time for both!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Why does this clash with fitness? I'm about a year away from a PhD in chemistry. I don't think it has anything to do with fitness, other than making time for both!

I think OP is probably referring to 'bro-science' vs. real science.

OP, I'm definitely in the science minded camp. I'm not averse to taking advice from people who have more experience than me, but it's always nice to see some real science backing it up.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I will have my MD in a few months and I appreciate the 'real science' I have learned in med school as well as the bro-science I have learned through my weightloss/muscle gain journey

I really do believe there is a place for both - and you really need a little of each
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have a BSc in Engineering and sometimes it is easy to get a bit to technical with the nutrition and exercise stuff. That said, it is helpful in deciphering some of the things you read online and at various sites. Alan Aragon, Jim Stopanni (sp prob) and Layne Norton are all PHd bodybuilders and share a wealth of useful information. Lyle MacDonald is mentioned on a lot of sites too. Some of the sellouts are hard to listen too, but I can't totally blame them since most of society wants a magic pill instead of making sacrifices.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Yes and I'm working on a Physics PhD right now and making time for both. I was just wondering if there were more scientific minded people on here to have discussions about nutrition, fitness, etc with.
  • MMMMMMMary
    Options
    definitely. the only thing I'm NOT interested in is the science of exercise and fitness, which is probably why I ended up wit 43 pounds to lose :)
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    ScIeNce!!!!:glasses:
  • scottdeeby
    Options
    does anybody else consider their life-long fitness/eating routine as a big science experiment?
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know I'm one big science experiment. I think it was called the corn syrup experiment.

I'm a Registered Nurse, an Atheist, and a Science enthusiast myself. We're around.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think there are quite a lot of science people on here. I am one, and occasionally I will go and crusade on the boards to try to provide some solid science in response to a lot of misinformation (with mixed success). I have a PhD in behaviour and evolution, undergrad in marine bio and post-doc training in neuroscience. I'm always happy to connect to more science-y people, feel free to add me if you like.

Good luck with your PhD! What area of physics are you working on?
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    does anybody else consider their life-long fitness/eating routine as a big science experiment?

Me!! I manage a university research lab. I am keeping all my measurements and exercise data in an excel file.
  • annepage
    Options

Yes. Especially the fitness learning curve .
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand*

We are around. I'm a big science buff and like to see actual fitness and health science. The amount of pseudo science that gets posted around here is aggravating.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My favourite science is palaeoanthropology, but I like all kinds of other science, especially human sciences, and have been known to occasionally dabble in astrophysics even (descriptive only, I don't have the maths to study it properly, but if I ever get enough time I might get my husband to teach me it)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    no.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    AvrAmCrCEAEdMGD.jpg:large
  • annepage
    Options
    *Raises hand*

We are around. I'm a big science buff and like to see actual fitness and health science. The amount of pseudo science that gets posted around here is aggravating.

My goal is to be able to eventually determine what is pseudo in terms of nutrition and fitness and what isn't.
  • scottdeeby
    Options
    *Raises hand*

My goal is to be able to eventually determine what is pseudo in terms of nutrition and fitness and what isn't.

If anybody figures out how much protein you really actually need, please, let me know!