Do you find it as ridiculous as I .....?

Options
Do you find it as ridiculous as I that the ads at the top of my home page are for restaurants??? I guess the revenue is more important than the purpose!

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Have you been searching for restaurants? Mine are usually trying to sell me a treadmill or meal replacement drinks.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    mine are for either makeup or weight loss tips. Depends on the cookies in your computer! (google what that is if needed)
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Right now mine is trying to sell me maxwell house coffee.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    Yes, I had an add for an Arby's Red Robin, and Chik-Fil-A coupon. I mean really?? The worst part is there is an Arby's in the building I work in. Took everything in me not to rush down there for lunch.
  • KatieLou1022
    KatieLou1022 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Have you been searching for restaurants? Mine are usually trying to sell me a treadmill or meal replacement drinks.

Only to find the nutritional counts ... and definitely not from any of those three places!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Only to find the nutritional counts ... and definitely not from any of those three places!

The ads are different depending on the person and their internet searches. It used "key words" from things you are looking at to figure out what might be appealing to you. It isn't MFP, it is a complex advertising matrix.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    lol...mine is for a mattress...come to think of it, a new one would be fantastic!! :laugh:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The ads are different depending on the person and their internet searches. It used "key words" from things you are looking at to figure out what might be appealing to you. It isn't MFP, it is a complex advertising matrix.

^^This. MFP doesn't control what's advertised. It just sells the space to an ad company.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I always get a kick out of "targeted" advertising. Between using MFP, searching for calorie counts, workout info, etc, and changing my FB status to "single," most of my facebook ads are for dating services for men looking for BBW. Thanks, facebook. :grumble:
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    Ads like these are based on your search history / patterns. As the previous poster stated, the cookies on your computer play a huge roll in what ads you will see.
  • KatieLou1022
    KatieLou1022 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Now it has switch to Loreal hair products ... haven't searched on that either. I guess they haven't narrowed their demographic very well!
  • plumbobet
    Options
    Mine was for furniture till I clicked reply now its coupons for red robin and arbys at the top and dole spring mix on the side
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Mine are for banking and another one for diapers lol...
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Do you find it as ridiculous as I that the ads at the top of my home page are for restaurants??? I guess the revenue is more important than the purpose!

the ads are user specific. Mine have been for hotels in areas I'm traveling to, garmins and beachbody. Maybe you should stop searching restaurants ;-)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Ha! Mine is trying to sell me raspberry ketones!
  • Pablito66
    Pablito66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't have any ads! Damn! I need to get a life!
  • deb2799
    Options
    Mine is for Plastic Surgery LOL But, to be fair I have been researching breast reductions.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We all need to eat, and sometimes we end up eating out. You can't avoid it.

And yeah your ads are based on what you search for. My ads are for Zappos and Bark Box
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The ads keep this place free.

You're not going to be able to eliminate advertising from your life.

And if a banner ad for Pizza Hut is all it takes for you to completely ruin things for a person they aren't going to make it anyway.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've been planning a trip to Cancun, so my ads are about air fare, also weight loss products and/or supplements.