Falling Under 1200 Calories

allykat8
allykat8 Posts: 237
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Lately I have been struggling to eat my minimum of 1200 calories. Seems the more I work out and hydrate, the less hungry I am. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you force yourself to get to 1200 or just fall below?

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    I have this problem when i'm over training, I ease up on my workouts and the appetite comes back, instead of forcing food down I take in high calorie foods instead, nuts, whole grain cereals, rice....that kinda stuff, you gotta feed your body if you want it to work for you.
  • JenSuazo
    JenSuazo Posts: 10
    I have the same problem quite often...I try to force myself to eat the 1200 calories but most days I just fall behind the required amount.
  • I have the same problem, I'm only eating 900 calories a day, but I switched to healthier foods. I'm not starving myself by any means, but I eat a salad a day at lunch and I'm full almost all day, but the vegetables in it are so low in calories I'm not reaching 1200 cals.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Me too.
    Today I ate so many small healthy things that I am just FULL, it is past my bedtime and I am a little under 1200 still, but I don't sweat it, a couple of days here and there won't hurt you long term.
    Most days if I am under I will eat something with nuts, peanut butter, etc because they have lots of "good calories"

and sometimes I will use those days to have something special that I usually don't allow myself, like a little piece of cake or a couple of cookies, just enough to hit 1200...
    :wink:
  • nikicoleman
    nikicoleman Posts: 55 Member
    I find that to be true and I'm not by any means a thin person yet- but I am full and just seem to get below 1200. I read all the articles about eating back all my exercise calories, but I can't even get to 1200 half of the time. I'm losing and I'm content and I'm not starving by any means. I'm just picking foods that are better for me in calories and health-wise! :)

I think each of us is different - so that 1200 probably doesn't 'magically' work for everyone.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    I find that to be true and I'm not by any means a thin person yet- but I am full and just seem to get below 1200. I read all the articles about eating back all my exercise calories, but I can't even get to 1200 half of the time. I'm losing and I'm content and I'm not starving by any means. I'm just picking foods that are better for me in calories and health-wise! :)

I think each of us is different - so that 1200 probably doesn't 'magically' work for everyone.

just about no one should eat under 1200 calories, im guessing you're getting next to no protein inyour diet to be able to stay under that magical 1200 number..not a good idea if you also workout, wether good calories bad calories..whatever...you can eat very healthy and even infrequently and easily attain 1200 calories, you are doing your body no favours by keeping the engine running on empty.
  • rhonajs
    rhonajs Posts: 7
    Is it possible if you consistantly eat under 1200 calories and burn more ie: in my job I can burn 900 calories a day, and add my workouts another 225 or so...so then I have to eat to get that back so sometimes I end up with only eating 500-600 calories,,,can your body hold onto this and make you gain...I had kept off 60 pounds for almost 3 years and 10 crept back on....I have added more protein like nuts, I bring lunch like salad or tuna, 3 servings of fruit a day, a greek yogurt and throw in a protein bar now.
    Any advice...I do not feel as good as I did in my body. :sad:
  • I normally eat around 900-1000 calories a day. By doing this I have lost 5 pounds this week. But its not bad if you dont hit 1200 as long as you have enough energy and arent tired.
    925206.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    On those days I only eat fish, nonfat greek yogurt and green veggies I will fall below 1200. I make sure I include walnuts, peanut butter and flax on those days to give my body nutrients and energy it needs.

While one or two days won't break you, it is easy to fall into a pattern of under-eating and before you know it you're doing it on a regular basis.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    A piece of peanut butter toast and a glass of milk will fix that problem. If i'm not getting enough calories on the foods I eat, I eat a little higher protein/higher calorie foods. I don't think it's a big deal to go under every now and then, but if you consistently go under it's not a good thing.
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    I'm under sometimes but my fat and protein is always over. Any ideas on how to adjust my meals to stay within my goals?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I'm under sometimes but my fat and protein is always over. Any ideas on how to adjust my meals to stay within my goals?

I go over on my protein and under on my carbs quite often and still lose. I'd watch the fat though.
  • rhonajs
    rhonajs Posts: 7
    Actually I eat alot of protein and fruit...I just burn so much at work its hard to eat it all back.
This discussion has been closed.