Experienced runners- shoe question?

Options
I have worn the same "model" shoe since I started running 3 years ago. They just recently changed up the whole style so now I am on the search for a new brand/type of running shoe.

I bought a pair of Asics that online said was similar to the one's I have been wearing but I have done two run's in them (one 4 mile and one 6 mile) and my legs are sore after. Do you think this is just a break in thing and I will adjust or should I try another shoe?

Replies

• kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going to your favorite running specialty store and find out what they recommend as a replacement for your shoe. Sounds like your new shoes are substantially different than your old model shoe. I HATE when they change up shoe models like that....it's hardly ever 'new and improved'.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going to your favorite running specialty store and find out what they recommend as a replacement for your shoe. Sounds like your new shoes are substantially different than your old model shoe. I HATE when they change up shoe models like that....it's hardly ever 'new and improved'.

Agree, I have been wearing my previous shoes for 3 years out of the box with never an issue. The new one's they made are lighter (which is a plus) but completely different
  • debvgl
    debvgl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I loved my Asics Gel Nimbus 12 running shoes, but it was past time to replace them. The newer ones do not feel the same, so I tried other styles without success. Finally, I went to Lady Footlocker last week, and the salesperson recommended Nike Zoom Vomero +7. They do not feel as springy as my Asics and my feet do not feel like they are enveloped in clouds, but they do have great cushioning, and I ran without knee pain today. So, I agree with kdkyzer. You should go to a specialty store and try the recommendations.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    IMHO muscle soreness is not an indicator of a problem. You may be running slightly differently, and it may be unrelated. In either case it will go away with a few runs.

Any joint discomfort that you didn't have with your old shoes is an indicator of problems.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just changed shoes. It took a few good runs in them to break them in. They are fine now.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You should never have to "break in" your running shoes. If you do then there's something wrong with them.

I'd take the shoes that you have been wearing previously to a running store -- NOT a sporting goods store but a RUNNING store like Fleetfeet or something similar -- show them the shoes you have, explain the issue with the newer model and ask them if they can get you something similar in a different brand.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I would go to a running shoe store. The one I go to specializes in running and walking shoes only. They don't have other sports gear. They now have a file on me but my original fitting they had me run on a treadmill and took video plus they had me run across their floor. Their people are experts on fitting running and walking shoes and the salesman actually pulled out 2 shoes which both were great. They will allow you to go outside and run with them too if you want. You have 30 days no questions returns even when you have been running outside with them for that 30 days. I paid $120 for my shoes which was about average. They give you $25 off for every $200 or 250 or something that you spend. Since the store is about 30 miles away I looked up my shoes online but they cost the same or more than the store charges so I will be going back up there to get my next pair which I'm due for except I'm broke for another month.