Trader Joe's?

Options
One opened up 15 minutes from my house. My sister and I went last Friday and bought a few things and I loved everything I bought and tried.

Eggplant Hummus - Freakin' YUM!
Regular Hummus - Very good
Cranberry Oatmeal coffee dunkers - I'm obsessed. I don't know if I can really buy these again because they are all I want to eat. So good.

I still have the chicken fried rice, frozen grilled eggplant and zucchini, and a few other things to try.

What do YOU recommend from Trader Joe's that I must try?!

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I would suggest saving the money and going somewhere else. Just my opinion.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Their $3 wine is pretty good!:wink:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I would suggest saving the money and going somewhere else. Just my opinion.
    I agree I think Fresh & Easy is a much better store but similar to trader, although quite a few of them will be closing soon :grumble:
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I live at Trader Joes. I'm not sure why some people have the opinion that it's "expensive" because it isn't. They cut out the middle man on a lot of products and repackage them so they are cheaper. I save money shopping there.

Things I love:

Roasted Vegetable Pizza (dairy free)
    Thai Vegetable Pot Stickers
    Masala Simmer Sauce
    Tofu Edamame Nuggets
    Quina duo with Vegetable Malange
    Spicy Lentil Wrap
    Baked Tofu - Savory
    Minestone Soup
    Black Bean Soup
    Paneer Tikka Masala
    Wasabi Seaweed Snacks

I could go on forever.
  • eas1950
    Options
    I too love the trader joe's! They have some tasty reduced guilt frozen meals. Their multigrain pullman bread is one of my favorites.Love their low sodium tomato soup. I have to drive an hr. and a half to Nashville to stock up. So worth it!
  • deb2799
    Options
    See I really like Trader Joes and think Fresh N Easy is not so great ...

I like the

less guilt Mac N Cheese
    breaded chicken tenderloins
    100 cal cookie packs
    pita chips
    frozen veggies
    Fig Bars
    for a treat, cookie butter
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I think Trader Joe's is terrific! I like the frozen organic brown rice (great to accompany something from the crock pot when you don't get home until late), their grated parmesan/asiago/romano blend, turkey meatballs, Half-Baked ciabattini rolls, simmer sauces, olive oil, cheap wine and beer. Their cheeses are often half the price of the identical cheese at Whole Foods. Also check their vitamin and supplements aisle for some great deals.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joes... Fresh and Easy not so much.

The appealing thing with Trader Joes is all of their own products are nonGMO which I really like. Add to the fact they pay their employees a decent wage and they win. Plus everyone I go I find something new and delicious to fall in love with.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DO NOT try the Carrot Cake Inside Out Cookies.

DO NOT buy extra boxes to put in the freezer, just so you have some on hand.

DO NOT eat them frozen

Seriously, just do not look at them. I am pretty sure the calories will just jump on you for looking at them.

THEY ARE SO GOOOD!

When I go to Trader Joe's I always hit the wine sampling. A lot of decent wines at low cost, and with the sampling you can make sure that you like them first.

The have a wonder selection of cheese at very reasonable prices.

They also have a delicious tomato based seafood soup (the name begins with a C and I think is Italian) in the freezer section that we love.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    We don't have Fresh and Easy. We have Whole Foods and Whole Foods is really expensive. I found the prices at Trader Joe's to be better.

I can't wait to go back and see what else I can try from there.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people seem to think its expensive. It's actually very cheap compared to whole foods, etc.

I will say this...I won't buy their meat anymore. It's gone bad wayyyy before the expiration date everytime. The produce is good. I love a lot of the things in the frozen section. Their hummus is fantastic. I love buying the frozen bags of edamame. Great prices on cheese. Their "vintage" beer is realllllllyyyy good.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    their chicken apple chardonnay sausage is delicious. 2 links, with a pepper, onion, zucchini blend with a little olice oil and light soy sauce= delicious!
  • paleo_caveman
    Options
    frozen roasted bell peppers
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    I wish there were Trader Joe's down here....
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    96% lean ground hamburger
    whole wheat bread
    whole wheat english muffins
    low sodium chicken stock
    pizza dough
    chicken and cilantro mini wontons (frozen)
    garlic hummus
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Try their "Reduced Guilt Mac & Cheese". I like to mix a can of tuna and some bacon bits into it. It's good by itself too.
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    The frozen steel cut oats are great!! You get 2 servings in a box for $1.60. I like the fruit leathers too. Kind of like a fruit roll-up but its all natural. The red pepper hummus is awesome. And I like thier egg white salad! The container is 2 servings and its very low calorie.

There is one not too far from me and I tend to go once a month just for the oatmeal :)
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Lots of stuff, but I make a special trip across town for the Bay Blend coffee.
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Trader Joe's yet, mainly because I only recently heard of it. That was AFTER I spent money at Whole Foods....SO wishing I had known about it before hand. Thanks for all the favs listed here, I'm definitely going to check them out!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Their chicken-tikaa masala is to die for. Mango Sortbet. They have mushroom turnovers, mushroom and goat cheese in so many products.... I am an addict.

DO NOT TRY the lemon bars or the chocolate covered pretzel deliciousness. It took me months to get over!! haha.