What do you think about this recovery drink?

It's a gnc blend.

1 scoop of cookies and cream gnc total lean shake.
2 scoop of gnc vanilla maximum nutrition dietary suppliment
1 scoop of whey protein
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
A few dashes of cinnamon

Weighing this vs shakeology

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    IIFYM
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    I don't know the nutrients information of these all, but I'd say you should compare the nutrients information by making a 'meal' on MFP, and choose the one which matches the best post-workout intake.

That's my two cents!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Skip it and drink chocolate milk. Less effort and less money!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    if you like the taste of it is all that matters.

shakeology is WAY overpriced.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    sounds fine
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    if you like the taste of it is all that matters.

shakeology is WAY overpriced.

...lolpoors. (I agree, just razzing my friend).
  • $140 a month is a bit pricy though going to smoothie king is way more...

Thanks, the shake is okay... The multivitamin is awful alone.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member

yes, it does not have to be complicated and expensive to work good.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member

^ This. Lyle McDonald did a quick analysis of milk that you can find on his website. Drink the chocolate milk or a decent protein shake and move on. The rest is marketing B.S.
  • Skip it and drink chocolate milk. Less effort and less money!

^ This. Lyle McDonald did a quick analysis of milk that you can find on his website. Drink the chocolate milk or a decent protein shake and move on. The rest is marketing B.S.

Thanks for the link. I might do that... Though there are reasons I shouldn't...
  • That is a lot of sweet-sounding stuff :O
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Excerpt copied from:Exercise Physiology FOR HEALTH, FITNESS, AND PERFORMANCE, Third Edition, Plowman & Smith

Got Milk? Protein Ingestion Enhances Protein Synthesis Following Resistance Exercise
    Elliot, T. A., M. G. Cree, A. P. Sanford, R. R. Wolfe, & K. D. Tipton: Milk ingestion stimulates muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise38(4):667–674 (2005).

A primary goal of many resistance training programs is to build muscle mass. As discussed in this chapter, manipulating program variables, particularly the load and volume, is an important factor infl uencing the extent of muscle hypertrophy. However, nutrients are also essential for the building of muscle mass, which is composed primarily of protein. For this reason, the scientific community and practitioners have long been interested in the role of various nutrients in increasing muscle mass. Much attention has recently focused on determining the ideal mix of nutrients to stimulate protein synthesis during recovery from resistance training.

In this study, the authors sought to determine the effect of drinking milk on net protein synthesis after a resistance exercise. Furthermore, the researchers investigated different types and quantities of milk (fat free versus whole milk) to determine if these factors affected protein synthesis. Participants were young, healthy men and women who were not resistance trained in the past 5 years. Participants were placed into one of three groups: a group that ingested 237 g (8 oz) of fat-free milk (FFM), a group that ingested 237 g of whole milk (WM), and a group that ingested 393 g (13 oz) of FFM with the same number of kcals as the whole milk (ISO-FFM). The two quantities of FFM allowed investigators to compare FFM and WM when the total calories consumed were the same (since 237 g of WM and 393 g of FFM provide the same number of kcals). Participants completed 10 sets of 8repetitions of leg extensions at 80%of 1-RM. Each set was completed in approximately 30 seconds, with a 2-minute rest period between sets. Blood samples and blood fl ow were measured for 5 hours after exercise (muscle biopsies were also obtained but are not discussed here).

The study revealed that the up take of the amino acids threonine and phenylalanine was significantly greater than 0 following the ingestion of WM and ISO-FFM. Furthermore, threonine uptake was significantly greater (2.8 fold higher) following WM ingestion versus FFM.

The primary finding of the study was that milk ingestion stimulated net uptake of the amino acids threonine and phenylalanine. Since threonine and phenylalanine are not oxidized in muscle, the uptake of these amino acids represented net protein synthesis following resistance exercise. This clearly suggests that milk is an appropriate recovery drink to stimulate protein synthesis following resistance training.