Lighten Up a Recipe

Options
PennStateChick
PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
So I found this recipe and would really like to try it. As is, it looks like it makes 4 servings, with each serving containing 586 calories. Honestly, it's better than I thought it would be! However, I'm looking for suggestions for replacements on the heavy cream specifically. I'm not trying to make this dish 0 calories or anything, I'm just looking for some suggestions!

For the sausage, I plan to use Jennie-O Lean Hot Italian Turkey Sausage. I'm also going to use the Reduced Fat Cheese.

Spicy Sausage Pasta

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked sausage
1.5 cups diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, Mild
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions

1. Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.

3. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly.

Makes 4 servings.

Read more at http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/spicy-sausage-pasta.html#ixzz2LHCCjcKo

Replies

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You could use fat free half-and-half (Land of Lakes)
  • socalsweetheart87
    socalsweetheart87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can try Pam cooking spray instead of the oil and if you use Barilla plus pasta it adds protein and fiber.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    If I were making this, I'd cut the cheese in half, use fat free sour cream (instead of heavy cream), and cut the scallions completely. I also usually use water instead of oil for sauteing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mon 02/18/13 12:28 PMSo I found this recipe and would really like to try it. As is, it looks like it makes 4 servings, with each serving containing 586 calories. Honestly, it's better than I thought it would be! However, I'm looking for suggestions for replacements on the heavy cream specifically. I'm not trying to make this dish 0 calories or anything, I'm just looking for some suggestions!

For the sausage, I plan to use Jennie-O Lean Hot Italian Turkey Sausage. I'm also going to use the Reduced Fat Cheese.

Spicy Sausage Pasta

1 tbsp olive oil ... leave alone (healthy fat)
    1 lb smoked sausage ... look for turkey sausage
    1/2 cup heavy cream - 2% milk .... yes it will change the texture a bit ... not a major ingredient .. I'm sure it's ok
    8 oz penne pasta .... look for whole wheat (fiber)
    1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded .... again 2%.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You could use fat free half-and-half (Land of Lakes)

This is a definite, and you probably really don't need that much oil. I would try it a teaspoon at a time. I'm guessing it is just to cook the meat and onions in so you could use pam instead.

I don't like or eat turkey sausage so I would cut the sausage in smaller pieces and use half of what the recipe calls for.

I would cut the cheese back to the 2% milk cheese and possibly not use as much.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've substituted fat-free unsweetened coffee mate for cream and it has been okay. Another suggestion would be to make a rou with skim milk (heat a tsp of olive oil in a pan, add a tsp of flour. Cook a minute or two and then add 1/2 cup of skim milk and cook over low heat another minute or two until it starts to thicken.). The rou be a fraction of the fat and calories and will give you a similar texture to heavy cream, but it *will* add carbs.

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds yummy!
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree about using pan spray instead of oil. Also, I wouldn't use canned Ro-tel tomatoes, but instead I would use fresh tomatoes and jalapenos. I'd also use reduced fat cheese, cutting the portion in half.

Instead of the heavy cream, I would use fat free cream cheese. Sounds like you have in mind how to cut the meat calories down! Sounds delicious!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The only substitutes I can think of are lower fat substitutes that will reduce overall calories while mimicking the texture of fat.

Instead of heavy cream, you could try light alfredo sauce from the jar, reduced / light whipping cream, fat free whipping cream, or a little flour / corn starch, even fat free cream cheese to thicken up the sauce without a lot of calories.

Also consider leaving out the olive oil. It's a healthy fat but adds 140 calories / tablespoon.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I make something similar to this quite often...

leave the olive oil, healthy fat
    No Yolks egg noodles or Catelli Smart pasta
    2% or fat free sour cream or plain greek yogurt in place of heavy cream
    fresh tomato, quickly grilled with the turkey sausage
    jarred jalapenos
    2% cheese sharp blend
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I second using fat free greek yogurt instead of heavy cream..stir it in at the very end.

jarred jalapenos
    2% cheese sharp blend
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I second using fat free greek yogurt instead of heavy cream..stir it in at the very end.

jarred jalapenos
    2% cheese sharp blend

Sharp cheddar! ..... why didn't I think of that? More flavor ... you could use less.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt in place of heavy cream
    Turkey sausage in place of the sausage, or pour over chicken breasts which will also take the place of the pasta

Leave in the olive oil. Really?? Replace olive oil with Pam?? Pam is not an ingredient. It's pan lube.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I hope that I don't get flamed for this - but, I wouldn't make any other adjustments to this other than what you're planning to do w/ the turkey sausage & lite cheese. This looks really yummy, but I have a feeling that the recipe will suffer if you alter it too much... and for what, the 50-60 calories/servings that you'll save?

I'd enjoy your delicious meal, then walk an extra 10 minutes, to make-up for the extra calories.