anyone have a good option for soy sauce?

Options
I am doing the low-sodium but really want to explore the other options. I am getting too much sodium in the rest of my diet, even spinach. But I know I want some salt, that's ok, just wondering if I could find something I would enjoy on my rice.

Any suggestions appreciated, Denise

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I switched to Mortons Lite salt to reduce the sodium and boost the potassium. Also, there are low sodium soy sauces. Are you tracking your sodium when you log? I like hot wing sauce on a lot of things.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    If you're looking for a substitute for soy sauce (and not salt in general), try Coconut Aminos. about 1/3rd of the sodium, but full of flavor.

Also, I've used lemon in the past in recipes that needed salt and was quite satisfied with the results.
  • lbk318
    lbk318 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    If you're looking for a substitute for soy sauce (and not salt in general), try Coconut Aminos. about 1/3rd of the sodium, but full of flavor.

Also, I've used lemon in the past in recipes that needed salt and was quite satisfied with the results.

Funny you mentioned this. A friend of mine of Facebook just posted info about Coconut Aminos. I would agree with this ^^^
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Bragg's Liquid Aminos??
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Tamari is good, but still a lot of sodium. Have you tried mrs dash? That is always good. Or some lemon juice? I love lemon juice on just about anything!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos

I was thinking the same but if your concern is the sodium content, I would try flavoring up your food with herbs and spices instead.

Also, depending on the dish, try adding different ingredients to change up the flavor. If you're having rice, add some beans; if you're steaming vegetables, add some garlic.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I know some vegetarians swear by Bragg's liquid aminos - it tastes just like soy sauce, but it does have a very salty taste.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know some vegetarians swear by Bragg's liquid aminos - it tastes just like soy sauce, but it does have a very salty taste.

I personally love Bragg's Liquid Aminos but if the OP wants to reduce intake of sodium, she's not going to find it with this product unfortunately.

Regular soy sauce has about 864mg of sodium per tablespoon. Bragg's has about 960mg per tablespoon.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos

yep
  • WiseBey
    WiseBey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like Bragg's Liquid Amino's
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I personally love Bragg's Liquid Aminos but if the OP wants to reduce intake of sodium, she's not going to find it with this product unfortunately.

Regular soy sauce has about 864mg of sodium per tablespoon. Bragg's has about 960mg per tablespoon.

Interesting good job looking that up. Doesnt look like it would be a good option if you want low sodium.

I wonder if it would be possible to make your own or make a mock soy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Found this.

It uses beef bullion bet you get get a low sodium or salt free bullion

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/soy-sauce-substitute/
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If you are making this at home try substituting low sodium or no sodium broth for the water to boost the flavor. I do not know if you are using white rice or brown rice but brown rice has more flavor to it (as well as nutritional value) than white rice. Also, I assume you are not just eating rice, but you are having other things with it. Let those other ingredients provide the flavor and just don't use soy sauce.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos

This!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Try to layer the salt in your meals when you're cooking. Instead of just salting to taste at the end, season things as you add them to the pan. Your meals will be more evenly seasoned, and you won't need to add as much soy or otherwise at the end.

Same with Asian cooking. Don't rely on soy as your only source of seasoning.

Other salty (to various degrees) asian condiments:

fish sauce
    Sriracha
    gojuchang (red pepper paste)
    Sesame oil
    rice wine vinegar
  • Queen2day
    Queen2day Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I am cooking my stir fry recipes, I substitute teriyaki sauce for soy sauce as it provides similar flavors, but less sodium.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My old sushi trick was to use half soy sauce, half Japanese beer. I suppose the real trick is not drinking the rest of the can....but I found I liked the sushi better that way.