Healthy Brownies???

My co-worker and I have a serious 3 o'clock brownie/chocolate habit. Any suggestions on healthy (ish) or low cal brownies to help curb the cravings?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    That's just it...you have a habit. Many people on MFP, myself included, have broken the afternoon sugar habit. My downfall were the mini candy bars that are in dishes all over my office. I felt much better once I got out of my afternoon sugar dependency mode. It took about a week to stop craving the afternoon sugar but was so worth it.

Face it: a truly healthy brownie will taste like crap. Brownies by nature are butter, sugar, flour and chocolate. There is nothing healthy about them and there shouldn't be. They are a treat and should be treated as such. Try weening yourself by going for fruit instead to satisfy the sweet tooth. If you feel you must absolutely eat a brownie, then work it into your calories.
  • There's a recipe on AllRecipes.com for Black Bean Brownies. They are gluten free, using black beans instead of flour. They're delicious.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    That's just it...you have a habit. Many people on MFP, myself included, have broken the afternoon sugar habit. My downfall were the mini candy bars that are in dishes all over my office. I felt much better once I got out of my afternoon sugar dependency mode. It took about a week to stop craving the afternoon sugar but was so worth it.

Face it: a truly healthy brownie will taste like crap. Brownies by nature are butter, sugar, flour and chocolate. There is nothing healthy about them and there shouldn't be. They are a treat and should be treated as such. Try weening yourself by going for fruit instead to satisfy the sweet tooth. If you feel you must absolutely eat a brownie, then work it into your calories.

You didn't have to be rude. She asked for recipe, not a lecture. I have had the black bean brownies, they're not the same as a brownie, but they are good.
  • I really like the "No Pudge" Brownies. They aren't exactly what I would call "healthy" but they're way better than the traditional super fudgey brownies
  • I really like the "No Pudge" Brownies. They aren't exactly what I would call "healthy" but they're way better than the traditional super fudgey brownies

Better meaning healthier. Not actually tasting better... lets get real. Few things in this world taste better than a real brownie.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member

You didn't have to be rude. She asked for recipe, not a lecture. I have had the black bean brownies, they're not the same as a brownie, but they are good.

How was she rude? I thought that was pretty good advice.

I'm sure those bean squares are tasty, but a brownie they are not.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I've been meaning to try these:

1 box of LOW FAT brownie mix (regular rated lower)
    15 oz. pumpkin

Mix can of pumpkin in with the mix and mix well. No need to add any other ingredients.
    Bake according to directions on box. Makes 13 x 9 pan (about 16 servings)

OR

1 box of brownie mix
    3/4 cup vanilla yogurt

Mix yogurt with the mix and mix well. No need to add any other ingredients.
    Bake according to directions on box. Makes 13 x 9 pan (about 16 servings)
  • I agree....there's no need to "scold" someone for wanting and needing an afternoon snack to get you through to dinnertime so you're not starving. And bravo to you for trying to find healthy alternatives!! I have a friend who brought in a batch of brownies to one of our social gatherings. They were moist, chocolatey and absolutely delicious. After we had all enjoyed them and raved about how awesome they were, she confessed they were the black bean brownies. We applauded her sneakiness because we probably wouldn't have tried them if we knew about the beans. I would also highly recommend a Weight Watchers dessert. Around 150 calories, very rich and satisfying and portion controlled!
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    I've always really liked these:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=86274

Devin Alexander Double Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 egg whites
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
    Butter-flavored cooking spray

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch non-stick cake pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and sugar until they are well combined.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain. Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top. Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay).

Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies. Makes 12 (1 brownie) servings.

Nutritional Information:
    Per brownie: 88 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, <1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 133 mg sodium.

Devin Says:
    The addition of the espresso powder makes these brownies richer and more chocolaty tasting without adding calories. Just be sure you buy instant espresso powder.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Wow, I thought I was being helpful, not rude LOL. Man, people are sensitive!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member

Actually, Steph, they really are. You can't taste the black beans and the brownies are moist and delicious. I don't even like regular brownies anymore b/c the oiliness of them grosses me out.

Box of brownie mix + 1 can pureed black beans (make sure they're plain! do not drain)

OR

Fiber one 90 cal brownies are good too
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Wow, I thought I was being helpful, not rude LOL. Man, people are sensitive!

You were but sometimes that lil treat each day is just what some people need to stay on track....Black bean brownies could be as low as 120cals per square (depending on mix and how many you cut obviously)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member

Actually, Steph, they really are. You can't taste the black beans and the brownies are moist and delicious. I don't even like regular brownies anymore b/c the oiliness of them grosses me out.

Box of brownie mix + 1 can pureed black beans (make sure they're plain! do not drain)

OR

Fiber one 90 cal brownies are good too

I wasn't being sarcastic, they probably really are good. I just didn't think that poster was being rude.

But meh, brownies are only okay. I'd rather have a butter tart.
  • That's just it...you have a habit. Many people on MFP, myself included, have broken the afternoon sugar habit. My downfall were the mini candy bars that are in dishes all over my office. I felt much better once I got out of my afternoon sugar dependency mode. It took about a week to stop craving the afternoon sugar but was so worth it.

I think she was being honest. There wasn't anything rude about what she said.

I mean, she COULD have said, "Awwww....poor baby. This is why you're fat."

But she didn't. ;-)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member

I have to agree, the advice was not rude, but lets not turn this discussion into an argument as to what was rude. The point is that for lasting weight loss, we have to adopt a lifestyle change. In my opinion, replacing an acknowledged poor choice with an acknowledged good choice is good advice, and an excellent way of taking control of sugar cravings. If you like other things that are equally healthy, then great! Treat the original brownie as a treat and manage the calorific value accordingly, otherwise you are only cheating yourself.
  • That's just it...you have a habit. Many people on MFP, myself included, have broken the afternoon sugar habit. My downfall were the mini candy bars that are in dishes all over my office. I felt much better once I got out of my afternoon sugar dependency mode. It took about a week to stop craving the afternoon sugar but was so worth it.

I think she was being honest. There wasn't anything rude about what she said.

I mean, she COULD have said, "Awwww....poor baby. This is why you're fat."

But she didn't. ;-)

The problem is that you make it sound as if she has a problem that needs to be fixed. When all she asked for were some healthy alternatives to help with her afternoon snack.
  • PaulaCatherine
    PaulaCatherine Posts: 3 Member
    It's OK, I didn't take it as being rude! I prob DO need to break the afternoon sweets habit! Good to know the cravings won't last forever! :)
  • I have been meaning to try these....skinny peanut butter swirl brownies from Sally's Baking Addiction.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/06/10/skinny-peanut-butter-swirl-brownies/

A note from Sally: In addition to the low fat greek yogurt, I used fiber-rich, whole grain oats instead of white flour – whole grain carbs are a perfect way to start your day and/or fuel a workout! The recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of oats which are ground up into a flour. A brownie’s fudginess directly relates to the amount of flour in the recipe. And with only 1/2 cup of ground up oats in the entire recipe, you can imagine the density and fudginess of these babies!

My recipe has white sugar, but you could easily use Splenda No Calorie Sweetener Granulated instead. I needed a touch of sugar in these to fuel my run, but I am positive they would taste equally as delicious AND would have have a much lower calorie count if you used Splenda!

And to put these brownies completely over the top, I threw in a THICK peanut butter swirl because I firmly believe that there is nothing better in this world than chocolate and peanut butter. Peanut butter is full of healthy fats and protein… perfect for shiny hair, glowing skin, and keeps your muscles workin’!

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Jif Creamy)
    6 oz. low fat vanilla greek yogurt (could use fat free)
    1/4 cup skim milk (or almond milk)
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup sugar (or Splenda)
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 8×8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Place all of the ingredients except for the peanut butter into a blender or food processor. (Yes, a blender!) For easier blending, place the liquid ingredients into the blender first. Blend until mix is smooth and oats are ground up. You will have to stop the blender and scrape down the sides a few times.

Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Batter will be thin. Microwave peanut butter for about 30 seconds. Drop melted peanut butter by spoonfuls onto the batter, swirling gently with a knife to create a marbled effect. (Try not to overmix!)

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Brownies will be extra fudgy, so be sure to wait until COMPLETELY cooled – I stuck mine in the refrigerator for 2 hours, which allowed them to be cut very easily.

Cut into 12 squares and enjoy!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    I really like the "No Pudge" Brownies. They aren't exactly what I would call "healthy" but they're way better than the traditional super fudgey brownies

Better meaning healthier. Not actually tasting better... lets get real. Few things in this world taste better than a real brownie.

I second this- all of this. I like the No Pudge brownies. It's not better than a real brownie, but its a better option when it comes to calories.