Want to start jogging.... no idea where to start!

Options
I really wanna start running well jogging to start with!
Am i right in thinking its a good all rounder exercise!

any tips on how to get started?? i have some trainers -

i think with me its a confidence thing not to worry about ppl looking at me and thinking omg she cant do that! and just doing it! (and obviously the worry of being attacked sorry to put such a negative on it!!)

Thanks guys xxx

Replies

• scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First thing is to make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. Find a place that will take the time to fit you. Then just start running. If you are brand new you will want to alternate between walking and a jog. Aim for walking for say 5 minutes and then run for a minute. Do that for 30 minutes. Over time you build up the time that you are running over walking.

Remember to stretch before and after your run, if you are not sure what to do for that look online there are lots of examples. Take it slow at first, don't worry what other people think and have fun.
  • rluedtke
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k http://www.c25k.com/

If you have a running room or any specialty running store near you, they also have beginners programs.
  • kkmonroe79
    kkmonroe79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the c25k program right now. Google it and see what you think. So far it's working out well for me, and I have never EVER been a runner. I'm starting week 3 today. :)
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Step one - move the right foot forward.
    Step two - move the left foot forward.
    Step three - repeat

In other words, it's easy - don't get intimidated. Just start running!
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Step three - repeat

Thanks lol!!
    I downloaded the couch to 5k! May have to just do it!

Does Running help with all over body? x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree with the c25k suggestions. It's a good program.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Look up couch to 5k. That will hook you up with a good way to get going.

On the safety front (I'm a little paranoid about that myself), if it's something you really will worry about (to the point of not being able to run), don't run at night, don't run in secluded areas, try to stick to open/visible/populated places. Of course more people can see you there (which is the point), but you'll honestly learn to not give one iota of an eff what they think (really).
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi, don't know where u are but I'm from England & have just come home from week 4 of my 'jogging Club ' - Run England set up 8 week courses for complete beginners to get u started & 'teach' u how to jog - the idea is to be able to compete in a 5k at the end (if u want!!) - its brilliant & after that they also run 8 week intermittent course to follow on if u wish ....... So after all that!!!! Maybe there is something in your area that's the same & it's a way of staying safe too

Wish I'd known about this years ago !!!!

Good luck :bigsmile:
  • lauraellie10
    Options
    Look up couch to 5k. That will hook you up with a good way to get going.

On the safety front (I'm a little paranoid about that myself), if it's something you really will worry about (to the point of not being able to run), don't run at night, don't run in secluded areas, try to stick to open/visible/populated places. Of course more people can see you there (which is the point), but you'll honestly learn to not give one iota of an eff what they think (really).

Thankyou
    and well done on ur weight loss amazing!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I generally start at the front door, then run a circuit and end at the same place.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'll echo all the c25k advice, it's a great program.

Back in September I could barely run for the bus without thinking I would have a heart attack. I started walking daily in October, then started the c25k program in December. I now run 5k, three times a week. I sweating and panting at the end of it, but I can do it. If I can manage it, anyone can.
  • lauraellie10
    Options
    Hi, don't know where u are but I'm from England & have just come home from week 4 of my 'jogging Club ' - Run England set up 8 week courses for complete beginners to get u started & 'teach' u how to jog - the idea is to be able to compete in a 5k at the end (if u want!!) - its brilliant & after that they also run 8 week intermittent course to follow on if u wish ....... So after all that!!!! Maybe there is something in your area that's the same & it's a way of staying safe too

Wish I'd known about this years ago !!!!

Good luck :bigsmile:

That sounds good
    there is a guy i know who does a running club and accepts complete beginners but i think im just to shy to go along! As i know ppl who go who r amazing xx
  • lauraellie10
    Options
    I generally start at the front door, then run a circuit and end at the same place.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'll echo all the c25k advice, it's a great program.

Back in September I could barely run for the bus without thinking I would have a heart attack. I started walking daily in October, then started the c25k program in December. I now run 5k, three times a week. I sweating and panting at the end of it, but I can do it. If I can manage it, anyone can.

HAHA
    thats amazing progress..... im like that i get all red and sweaty and struggle to breathe so it seems lol
    ive downloaded to the program so fingers cross now its lighter when i get home from work i can give it a go! xx
  • Ashiepie4
    Options
    I have also started doing the couch to 5k plan. It's a really great plan for anyone hoping to get back in to shape/running. It'll help you build up your stamina. I'm doing a 5k in March and this plan is the only one that I have found to not be overbearing - with only 3 days a week.

Good luck!!

Stay positive. Stay motivated.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    i just started running.. never ever was a runner..but got some running shoes and now I walk and jog..I noticed in the 3 days that i can longer than my 1st day.. play some good music..that will help too.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Thanks lol!!
    I downloaded the couch to 5k! May have to just do it!

C25k is great. And running helps you lose weight, but isn't a full body workout.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    New balance has a program called good form running, that plus good shoes, a gym boss timer, and c25k will get you moving
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    I'll agree with everyone the C25K program is great for beginners. I was NOT at all a runner prior to completing the program. I now run 30 minutes 3x a week. I would also encourage you to get fitted for proper running shoes. I was experiencing some pain in my hip and feet and found out it was due to my "running" shoes. I have since been fitted properly and have not had any pain since purchasing my new running shoes. Best of luck to you!!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for years so I can't tell you how to start but some of my other MFP friends are newbies to running and some are doing c25k but I have one friend who just downloaded the "Zombies, RUN!" app over the weekend. It has a program for newbies as well as seasoned runners.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Step three - repeat

I actually had that xmas show song "you put one foot in front of the other...."

Seriously. Just start. It's THAT simple. I do intervals to start and build from there. I haven't ran for a while (tsk tsk) and today I just got right back on. Alternating run/walk. Eventually doing more run/jog than walk. C25K is good too if you really want structure. But I just go by what's challenging. I run enough it's work but not so much I get frustrated and want to quit.

For shoes, after I knew I liked jogging, I went to a store that did gait analysis. They gave me different shoes to try and I ran them in the store on their treadmill. I love them!!

You will be amazed at how easy it gets quickly.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

What do you mean "all over body"?

Running will help set up a calories deficit so you can lose weight. It is also good for your heart and lungs. Plus, it gets you out, and clears your head. I love a nice run! But it isn't going to strengthen your biceps.

If you want a true "all over body" workout, you'll probably want to be lifting weights.