Potassium Supplements?

2»

Replies

• I drink two 16.9oz Vitacoco Coconut Water with Pineapple and two bananas. That gets me pretty close in potassium. The four servers of coconut water is 240 calories. Each banana is about 100 calories. That's what I found to work for me.
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Excess potassium can be dangerous, do not supplement. There are a number of prescription medications that cause the body to retain potassium and require blood tests to check for potassium. I took a medication for acne for a while and I had to have my potassium levels checked when I went for refills and had to avoid high potassium foods, specifically those salt substitutes, there was even a warning sticker on my medication. I believe there are some birth controls that also cause high potassium with serious side effects when not monitored.

High potassium can seriously interfere with your heart that's not something you want to screw around with without proper medical supervision.

If you just want to avoid muscle cramps from strenuous activities find an electrolyte drink that you can tolerate. I love Nuun, if I keep that in my bottles while hiking, cycling, bootcamp-ing I have a significantly faster recovery than if I drink just plain water. Totally anecdotal. There's a lot of different mixes out there find one that works for you or talk to a medical doctor.