calculation of calorie

Options
Can anyone please comment on the following goal whether it looks correct? Thanks a lot.

current wt 139.5
Goal wt 115 lb
Ht 5'2"

BMR 1358
TDEE 1860
Daily calorie : 1200 cal to loose wt, then plan to continue about 1500/d (20% of TDEE=372, deducted from 1860),

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    No, you should eat the 1500 to lose weight.

Every few pounds, you should do the math again. When you are happy with your weight, you will eat your newly calculated TDEE
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Does not look right. You don't have enough fat to support that big of a deficit- 1500 to lose weight is more reasonable and then you slowly, SLOWLY, transition back to probably around 1800 to maintain, as your TDEE will be a little lower when you're done.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Suggest not to drop under 1358 calories on days you don't eat as much.

BMR: "Amount of energy expended daily by humans and other animals at rest."

Also: "The release, and using, of energy in this state is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, the heart, lungs, nervous system, kidneys, liver, intestine, sex organs, muscles, and skin."

Source: Wikipedia

So, you're going to get unhealthy after X amount of time trying to lose weight at @1200/day when your organs say MOAR FOOD
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Can anyone please comment on the following goal whether it looks correct? Thanks a lot.

current wt 139.5
    Goal wt 115 lb
    Ht 5'2"

BMR 1358
    TDEE 1860
    Daily calorie : 1200 cal to loose wt, then plan to continue about 1500/d (20% of TDEE=372, deducted from 1860),

Barely Lightly active activity level. You only doing max 3 hrs a week of exercise, and 40 hrs on your rear at desk job?

Or this is non-exercise level, and you plan on eating back exercise calories when you really get a workout in?

Just remember to remove 20% from those calories too.
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks,
    when i have calculated TDEE and BMR I picked light activity level, I am running 3 hour/week+ on my feet 7 h/day at work.
    Why MFP suggested 1200 cal then?. I do eat back my exercise cal the day I do it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks folks,
    when i have calculated TDEE and BMR I picked light activity level, I am running 3 hour/week+ on my feet 7 h/day at work.
    Why MFP suggested 1200 cal then?. I do eat back my exercise cal the day I do it.

MFP suggest calories based on your inputs. If you requested 2 lb per week, 1200 calories would probably be the min. MFP doesn't realize that a person with 15 lbs to lose can't lose 2 lb per week. Ideally, they should aim for 1/2 lb per week.
  • muktyfitness
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion,
    i am just confused with the MFP suggested 1200/d+ eat back exercise calories.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks,

All MFP does is subtract 500 calories per 1lb/wk desired weight loss from your TDEE. So if you chose 2lbs/wk (which is WAY too high at your weight) then it will take your TDEE 1860-1000=860, but it will never give you less than 1200 so it defaults to 1200. It isn't giving you *ideal* settings, just the mathematical result of the calculation based on the inputs you selected.

(If you chose 1.5, then it would still be 1200- 1860-750=1110, defaults to 1200)
  • muktyfitness
    Options
    I see.
    thanks a lot. I aimed for 1 lb/week.
    I have lost 2 lb/week so far. But I feel like I am not eating too little and no energy to exercise, I dont want to do anything unhealthy and most importantly want to sustain the loss.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion,
    i am just confused with the MFP suggested 1200/d+ eat back exercise calories.

For many of us, the math works out pretty much the same. I can eat 1200 + 400 or I can eat 1700. That margin of error is less than the databases, so I use MFP as designed.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks,

So your 7 hr / day at work on your feet put you into Lightly Active all by itself.
    Running adds a tad more.

So indeed, if using MFP method, select Lightly Active, 1 lb goal loss weekly, and log and eat back all exercise calories.

And if you run at the pace indicated in the MFP database, level, that is accurate, better than HRM actually.
    If you are between pace's, but one you are likely to keep, then create your own exercise with that pace.
    Calories burned would be here.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

And in fact there, select Net, not Gross.

So eat them all back. Mainly after the workout so you get the full benefit of the exercise improving your body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I see.
    thanks a lot. I aimed for 1 lb/week.
    I have lost 2 lb/week so far. But I feel like I am not eating too little and no energy to exercise, I dont want to do anything unhealthy and most importantly want to sustain the loss.

When you first start, it's very common to lose water weight as you start making better decisions. Restricting some carbs alone will help minimize water weight. Same with reducing sodium. But if you feel you will fail at 1200 calories, eat more. Most women I know eat around 1700-2100 calories to lose.
  • muktyfitness
    Options
    Thanks folks,

All MFP does is subtract 500 calories per 1lb/wk desired weight loss from your TDEE. So if you chose 2lbs/wk (which is WAY too high at your weight) then it will take your TDEE 1860-1000=860, but it will never give you less than 1200 so it defaults to 1200. It isn't giving you *ideal* settings, just the mathematical result of the calculation based on the inputs you selected.

(If you chose 1.5, then it would still be 1200- 1860-750=1110, defaults to 1200)

Thanks a lot, I am slowly starting to understand the process. happy that I don't have to starve :-) I have been doing 1200 cal pretty religiously, but hungry often.