PMS cravings

Options
I've been doing the calorie count for 5 weeks now. I've only been excercising seriously two weeks. I've lost 4 lbs. Not much but I'm going by the slow-and-steady-wins-the-race philosophy. My goal is to lose 40 lbs however long that takes.

This is the first week since I've started that I've had to deal with PMS. The sugar and carb cravings are driving me crazy. I've been doing really great. I actually have to be sure I eat enough calories a day. I sometimes miss it. I plan for nights out and make sure I have plenty of veggies around. Drink my water. But I don't know how to deal with this. Just will power? This is the worst time of the month to have will power.

Tina

Replies

• kbella1218
    kbella1218 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OMG this is just been my last week. Except I caved. I am back on the wagon today, had a kale shake for breakfast, lean cuisine for lunch and special K bar for snack. Cooking a healthy dinner. Best of luck to you, those cravings are so tough! :bigsmile:
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    For me personally I felt it was better to indulge a little, accept the calories/sugar/fat that I ate, enjoy it, and move on when I felt better. That didn't mean totally hogging down on whatever I wanted for days on end. It meant a planned meal and/or dessert for a day or two and then suck it up and get back on track. I knew that it would affect the scale for a couple of days but that I didn't truly gain weight. It's important to keep that in mind because if you're already feeling emotional you could lose your mind if you see the scale go up two lbs not realizing that it's just water weight. So, overall, it was worth it to me to indulge and deal with those consequences rather than fight the cravings for days. It became rather anticlimactic when I stopped fighting it.

I use the past tense because I had a hysterectomy in November and I don't have cravings anymore. *****iness, yes. Cravings, no.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some of it is just will power and accepting that you're going to have those cravings for a few days. For me, I try to plan some extra sugars and carbs into my day to help alleviate the cravings. I find it's better to go heavy on the carbs for a few days than to deal with the extra calories that are going to happen if I try to restrict. Play around and find what works for you.

/says the girl who had an entire box of Girl Scout cookies last night as part of my PMS coping...
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I just find lower calorie ways to indulge my cravings...examples: chocolate graham cracker with 1 Tbsp peanut butter, 1 Tbsp dark chocolate chips, baked potato chips, veggie burgers.

There are ways to indulge without going over.
  • loseweightIhope
    Options
    Have you tried Ezekiel bread? It is my saving grace cutting out breads. It is gluten free flour less bread it is so yummy toasted. Or I used it to make a pizza with one slice of bread a little sauce, and lots of veggies and a pinch of cheese.