Good level of moderation for sweets/chocolate and fruit?

Options
Hello guys, everyone always says sweets and chocolate are fine in moderation, but I suppose I'm not sure what moderation would be in regards to unhealthy/junk foods.
About how many cookies is acceptable? One? Two?
How about pizza? Or chocolate bars? - Half a bar? Eat the entire thing?

Also, is dried fruit a good alternative for sweets or is the sugar content in dried fruit that it might as well just be a luxury sweet?

I had one last question, is it possible to be eating too much fruit? There are so many stories to this and I'm really very unsure if one can eat too many fruits a day. What is your take on this?

Replies

• iJayne
    iJayne Posts: 4
    Options
    Skip the dry fruit and go for fresh..If you need to ask how much is too much ( cookies ,pizza, chocolate)..you shouldn't be eating it. You can work it into your diet . You'll have to make allowances. You control what you eat.:smile:
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Read the portion size on the package and go from there. Like if a kit kat is 250 cals for the whole bar, maybe have 1/2 of it for 125, that's reasonable for a sweet treat.

Dried fruit is generally higher in calories than the real thing, I prefer fresh fruit as it usually has a better fiber content as well. I don't pay attention to sugars.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well, about the dried fruit, I meant a good alternative to candy/chocolate. Not to fresh fruit because that's a very refreshing healthy treat, but sometimes, when you feel the urge for something super sweet (say, like a cupcake), is it better to go for the dried fruit or just take the god dang muffin?
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calorie allowance and you are getting the proper nutrition, I think anything is fair game.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I was having this kind of stuff everyday and then I realised it was costing me calories that could be spent on good filling food instead. I have slowly over time got to a point where I have it if I feel like it or if I out and it is part of the meal. I do not miss it - this is my moderation - have it occasionally if you need it.

If you feel you are entitled to it everyday you are just wasting your calories. I would rather have a another spoonful of mashed potato or pasta.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    IIFYM....

I try to keep my diet about 80-90% nutritionally dense whole foods, but I allow 10-20% of my calories to come from "junk" calories and I make them fit my macros as well as calorie goals.
  • chelery04
    chelery04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Depends on how bad you want it I would think. Sometimes I can just have a bite and give away the rest, sometimes I eat only a serving based on the package. For me, a lot of it is being able to say no. As far as the dried fruit, check the package and look at the numbers, sometimes that will make the decision for you. Although, the healthier you eat the less you will crave the "junk" over time. :) good luck!!!!!!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have both fresh and dried fruits, as well as nuts and the occasional cookie PROVIDED I have the calories available. I look at portion size and calories to decide what to have. If the calories aren't there in my targets, the chances are that I would not eat it. What I won't do is have dried fruit for breakfast, fruit cake for lunch, 6 pints of beer for dinner:drinker: ........!! :wink:

A little of what you like is fine as long as you can fit it in your calorie allowance!