Curious about your Sodium intake

Options
Ever since my dad was put on a low-sodium diet, I've been vigilant about the high-sodium content of many foods. And now that I've been eating healthier, I am even more aware of the amount of sodium that I consume. So I was curious about everyone's daily sodium intake. I try to keep mine around 1500mgs. You?

Replies

• rosemariet1956
    Options
    I have been keeping tabs on my food intake since the new year and what i found is that it is more difficult to control the sodium intake than calorie intake. I am also trying to keep it at 1,500 mg per day but since almost everything has sodium iy is the most challenging thiing to try and modify. If anyone has secrets to share I"m all hear .
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I try and keep mine to under 1800 but isn't always easy. I read labels and watch what I choose to eat.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I switched from 2500 to 1600 and am now off my HBP meds with healthy blood pressure readings. It is amazing how hard it is to stay under 1600--it NEVER happens if I eat dinner out.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine under 2500,
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed my settings form the default of 2,500, but I rarely consume more than 1,800.

My Mom never cooked with salt, so I never developed a taste for it--and fortunately for me, my husband is similarly averse.

Although it lurks in lots of foods, I'm fairly sensitive to it, so I've checked sodium levels on labels and asked restaurants to PLEASE not add any salt to my food for years.

Now pepper. . . .. THERE's another story. . . .
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I thought I was being a bit overly cautious, but I see we are all within a similar range.
  • Lostone31
    Options
    Try increasing your potassium intake to help.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09355.html

There are a lot of links out there about sodium vs potassium.
  • GwenBurnell
    Options
    My father has the same problem and I taught him to look for low sodium or zero sodium foods. The main items to avoid are salad dressing, lunch meats, canned soups and of course pickles. Making your own are the easiest ways to avoid them. Since we need sodium I don't worry about my numbers when it is coming from fresh foods.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm typically between 4500 - 5000 mg daily. My resting heart rate is 58 & BP around 105/65.
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1500 mg or less.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Several thousand.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never tracked a single gram and still don't.......
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I <3 salt.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I look to keep it under 2300, and no more than 1000 in a given meal.

As another posted said, this is generally impossible if eating out.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist wants me to stay around 1400 mg's a day. I don't always hit that or stay under it but I certainly try. A lot of foods have salt in them naturally while others have it pumped in. I was surprised to find out that my favorite chicken breasts are injected with a solution that contains salt so I've switched to free range organic chicken breast. I water down my salad dressing to help cut the salt as well. They usually taste too strong to me anyway. Cheese also has a lot of salt so thats another area I need to work on. Love my cheese. But other than that I never cook with salt. Never add it to my food and don't eat out much.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I aim for no more than 1500 mg/day but usually hover in the 1500 to 2000 mg range. Though some people do not seem adversely affected by sodium, it's worth noting that the American Heart Association modified its recommendations last fall and now recommends that EVERYONE limit their daily sodium intake to 1500 mg/day (not just high risk groups). See: http://newsroom.heart.org/news/new-studies-reinforce-american-240224
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I was put on BP medicine in November so I have drastically cut back. I'm now taking in between 1000-1500 mg a day. I've learned to cook with herbs and spices. I don't buy any processed foods anymore....not even salad dressing. My co-worker told me how to make a really good dressing that I absolutely love now! All it is, lemon or lime juice, a little EVOO, about a teaspoon of honey and whatever spices or herbs you want in it. I like to use Italian spices in mine. Also, it's really easy to make food that is very low sodium and adding flavor with herbs and spices and maybe a dash of Cayenne pepper.
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    I almost have hbp simply because of salt. My intake is disgusting. I try to keep it as lot as possible but most of the time its hard to stay around my goal of 1600. There is salt in EVERYTHING. Even the stuff that doesn't need it. I swear salt has salt to top it off.
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I usually try to keep an eye on it & stay on target but just had a really off day of over 4000! The scale will probably show it in water retention if I decide to step on the scale in the morning. :/
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    At least 2500mg. Resting heart rate is low 60's, bp is 105/65. If I don't keep my sodium up, I get dizzy and light headed.