Dad on a mission to drop 122!

Options
I remember back in 2003, I was living in Palm Beach Gardens, FL and the scale read 239. I swore I would nit see 240..... Now.... well now I would very much like to see 240 and even lower. I'll admit I got lazy over the years. And have recently discovered I may have an eating disorder. For some reason I stay up late every night, I'm talking about 11PM - 2AM. I'm either watching TV or surfing the net for.... anything really, usually motorcycle stuff. I've learned that from 7PM til I go to bed I am grazing in the kitchen all night. I have started to make a real effort to avoid that area of that house at all costs after dinner (6PM).

I've signed up with a personal trainer and go twice a week. I've never liked the Gym scene, but I have to say I'm really liking the support I get from a PT, not to mention she knows about my late night kitchen rendezvous so she's made my appointments for 7:30PM. Which is also helping tremendously. She recommended myfitnesspal after I had already put it on my phone and signed up for an account. I'm the type of person that needs to see results right away or I lose motivation.

So far it's been 10 days and my real downfall during them has been the weekends. Because of that this program thinks I've only lost 1lb. It's clear to me that I need outside help to stay motivated, and adopting a dog to force myself for daily walks is not the answer! I'm going to the personal trainer tonight and I am actually excited to go! I have a long her goal and a short term goal.

Short term, in 5 weeks we are going on our annual trip to Disney and I promised my little girl Daddy would lose 20 lbs before we go.

Long term, I need to drop 122lbs.

Replies

• looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    welcome to mfp, and good luck, this site will help you loose the weight, lots of us with a fair amount of weight to loose on here, feel free to add me if you need new friends
  • pamelalk
    pamelalk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    good for you, keep it up....you can do it. i know what you mean about the late nite eating, i get off work around midnite and instead of coming home and going to sleep, i hit the kitchen, its soooo hard to stay out of there, trying my best lately and stuffing the fridge with salads and fruits and fudgicles, tricking my self into brushing my teeth as soon as i walk in, thinking that i can't eat if i already brushed lol add me if you like
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard ..... you are more than welcome to add me ....... WE CAN DO THIS .... wishing you much success in your healthy lifestyle :bigsmile:
  • teamdj1
    teamdj1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. This a great place to be for guidance and information. There are some great people on here. We are all here for the same reasons. So you don't get that o i don't belong here feeling.

It does help to see what you are eating and what your intake is like. I have been here 4 weeks and i enjoy it. I am still learning everyday. What i like about it is if you need to be on a low salt, carb, sugar etc diet then there are groups or forums for that. If you are looking for something to cook or whats a good site to go to then there is a forums for that. You should be able to find what you are looking for here. You are more than welcome to add me. Again welcome.. Hope to see your around and i don't mean in the shape. :laugh:
  • hgg24
    hgg24 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a Disney trip coming up, too! I'm worried about keeping up with the 4 year old when he runs to get in lines, etc. I'm also worried about what to eat! Those damn mickey ear ice cream cones are so good! We can do it!
  • sbatch43
    sbatch43 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Note to self, quickest way to get discouraged is to weigh yourself more than once a day!
    I have that withings scale and this morning it says I am down 4 more lbs, well tonight before I leave for the personal trainer I check again, after being good all day with food and exercise, and I've regained those 4 lbs!?!?!?! Hopefully its just water weight from those 8 full glasses I had all day. (I've never peed so much in one day in my life!)
  • lself0924
    lself0924 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Most definitely water friend, you would have to eat an extra 14, 000 calories to gain four pounds and that wouldn't show up on the scales the same day!
  • lessofkimberly
    lessofkimberly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I think it is great that you have identified that you have a problem at night. That is part of the battle. MFP has been a great support system for me. Welcome
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm a new daddy (that's my baby girl in my profile picture) -- I do have a stepson who I love dearly but it's different when you're around for these formative years -- and I can empathize with the desire to make sure that you are there and healthy for your kids. Feel free to add me, I try to be as supportive as I can :)
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, add me if you like
  • Dandelionesss
    Dandelionesss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am just getting back to MFP tonight and have been looking for some friends to add. I have about 50 lbs to lose, which is less than half of what you are going to accomplish, but I'd love to be in this together. Add me if you'd like. :)
  • Lynner77
    Lynner77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am on the same mission feel free to add me if you like.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

Long term, I need to drop 122lbs.

I have lost 123 in a little over a year; it is entirely possible. The fact that you are looking forward to going to the gym is a great thing. That is a self motivator. My other suggestion is ... change your sleeping habit. WHY are you staying up so late? You may be better served by simply going to bed earlier. I like staying up later myself. Studies show thought that he who gets adequate rest tends to maintain a better weight than those who do not. Best wishes on your journey.
  • mikeyd1219
    Options
    Good luck man. I am also a dad with a similar goal and I'm almost half way there in 9 months. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • sbatch43
    sbatch43 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In response to kdeaux1959 re sleeping, I have a violent insomnia cycle. It lasts for about 3-4 months, I've had numerous sleep studies over the years and they can't seem to nail it down. But yes, the going to bed early and the non-eating at night go hand in hand for me. I am happy to say that I have been tired and going to bed around 9pm for almost 2 weeks. On the nights I am up, I just need to find a way to stay out of the kitchen.