Reason's Why you Might not be Losing

Options
Here's a few reasons why you may not be losing. I put the link at the end of this so if you are interested you can read the rest

Exercising on an Empty Stomach:
If you regularly exercise without eating first, you should reconsider: when you work out on an empty stomach, research shows that the calories burned come from muscle, not fat. Since muscle burns more calories than fat, the more muscle mass you have, the better it is for weight loss. Not only will fueling your body help you avoid losing muscle, but also, you'll have more energy to push yourself through your workout.

You Only Do Cardio
If you live on the treadmill but never lift a pound, then you're missing out on one of the most important pieces of the fitness puzzle. Not only does weight training prevent injury by strengthening the joints, but it also builds muscle mass and increases metabolic rate. Bonus: thanks to a revved-up metabolism, you'll keep burning calories long after you've slipped off your sneakers.

You Don't Eat Enough
Don't starve yourself to save calories for later. It'll not only mess up your metabolism, and by dinnertime, that famished feeling will likely cause you to eat more than you would if you weren't starving. Not only is starving yourself not sustainable for continued weight loss, but also, limiting yourself to too-small portions can lead to excess snacking between mealtimes.

You Wear Clothes That Are Too Big
Loose clothes are comfy, but they cover up the body and allow you to forget what you look like, which can work against your fitness motivation. Instead, opt for clothes that have a more fitted silhouette to help give you a sense of your body image. Or, better yet, start the day in your gym outfit to inspire you to do something active.

You Never Indulge
In an otherwise healthy diet, eating a few french fries or a piece of chocolate cake isn't going to ruin your weight-loss goals. A study found that it isn't necessary to up workout intensity the day after a piece of cake and that a daily variance of as much as 600 calories won't reflect on your waistline, as long as you maintain a healthy diet in the long run.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Reasons-You-Losing-Weight-24882317

Replies

• MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This just adds to the reasons why I love you so much :smooched:
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of arguments to support exercising first thing in the morning fasted to burn more fat, so I'm not entirely sure that number one is strictly correct.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! I tell these things to friends regularly when they start to get discouraged!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    As per this website, 99% of the 'I'm not losing weight' posts fall in to a few categories:
    1) Undereating
    2) Not logging properly- eyeballing portions, not logging a tasting bite here and there, not logging condiments, eating out frequently and trusting that what you're eating is what their website reports the calories to be, overestimating exercise calories
    3) Not giving anything enough time to work- "wahh wahh it's been 6 days!"
    4) Blowing your weekly deficit by binging and pretending it didn't happen
    5) Water weight is masking your weight loss
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    As per this website, 99% of the 'I'm not losing weight' posts fall in to a few categories:
    1) Undereating
    2) Not logging properly- eyeballing portions, not logging a tasting bite here and there, not logging condiments, eating out frequently and trusting that what you're eating is what their website reports the calories to be, overestimating exercise calories

Yup.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    1) Undereating

Great factual post!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    1) Undereating
    This whole thing
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I disagree with a couple of those.

Some people can ONLY work out on an empty stomach, otherwise they feel ill. In that case, I think you have to go with what feels best, and what works.

Also the one that implies that skipping meals is a problem. I don't agree with skipping meals and not eating enough, but I personally frequently have only coffee and a protein shake for breakfast, and nothing else until we're able to eat at work (which is sometimes quite late in the day). I find that it allows me to have bigger meals later in the day, which makes me feel satisfied. When I eat more earlier, I feel hungrier during the day, and have fewer calories for my evening meal, which is when I enjoy eating the most.

Otherwise, I agree! :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Girl... I work out fasted every single morning. I've got to disagree with this one!
  • pattieann51
    pattieann51 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and cannot get my breakfast in like I do on weekends. This is an issue but I'm trying to be more organized. Third day on plan, first day doing it at work! I also don't eat until much later in the day which sometimes is a problem.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    Girl... I work out fasted every single morning. I've got to disagree with this one!

same here!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bomp
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    1) Undereating

<3s for Bean
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    1) Undereating

Just elaborating that this answer is so full of win!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1) Undereating
    This whole thing

Yep
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    1) Undereating
    ^better then actual post
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    1) Undereating
    This whole thing

QFT
  • Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the water weight item now. So frustrating. ><