nutritional yeast

Options
2»

Replies

• amyanne75
    amyanne75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical about nutritional yeast at first, but it is really good if you aren't eating anything that remotely tastes like cheese. It's not going to taste exactly like cheese, but it is a great substitute and I think waaaayyyy better than the soy cheeses that are out there. I used it to make a vegan lasagna and it was really good! It does make good kale chips too.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It tastes awesome but it makes your pee super yellow due to the large amounts of B12.
    Try not to eat more that two tablespoons a day.

The whole foods bulk nutritional yeast isn't fortified with B12 (I think most others are).
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    let me clarify, consuming yeast will cause candida to form in the blood, candida feeds on sugar which can give you low energy levels. The waste product of candida is acicid which cause your body to use calcium from bones and magnesium from the muscles to buffer the acid to bring it back in to the range of 7.35-7.45 hydrogen concentration aka pH. If these systems get exhausted, then it will store the acid in tissue, which is very bad.

links? Honestly, I'd like to read them. I often consume Saccharomyces cerevisiae via beer, and wonder if the fermented version of it also makes yeast grow in my bloodstream.
  • toadkingdom
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is a really great vegan source of <strike>B-12</strike> B vitamins in general + B-12 too if it's fortified. I think calling it cheesy is a stretch, but it's mos def salty & a little bit creamy. I don't cook with it. Sprinkle it on cooked veggies, pasta, eggs, whatever you want. Treat it like a salt substitute... or if you must parmesan.

I know I should just ignore the comment, I'm sure the poster is well intentioned, but if you have a fungus growing in your blood stream you got real problems... like you might wanna be checked for zombie-ism because fungus-infused blood just doesn't happen to people living on this side of the soil.
  • WBB55
    Options
    A Google search has resulted in the cases of candidemia being nosocomial diagnosed in immunosupressed patients receiving nutrition via a catheter.

In English: AIDS patients, people undergoing chemotherapy, etc. can catch this from insufficiently sterilized feeding tubes. I didn't find any mention of it in healthy individuals.

Edit to say: thanks for the link
  • 05xb
    05xb Posts: 3
    Options
    I use it as the final topping on my vegan pizza, adds a cheese like flavor also great for adding extra protein and B vitamins to my diet.
    75qij.jpg
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    let me clarify, consuming yeast will cause candida to form in the blood, candida feeds on sugar which can give you low energy levels. The waste product of candida is acicid which cause your body to use calcium from bones and magnesium from the muscles to buffer the acid to bring it back in to the range of 7.35-7.45 hydrogen concentration aka pH. If these systems get exhausted, then it will store the acid in tissue, which is very bad.

So no one should ever eat bread again? Pizza? Bagels? Etc. All have yeast in them.

The article you posted explains how many people are hospitalized for candida .... not what causes it.

With the amount of bread consumption in the world we should all be dead by now or in the hospital due to candida.

For the OP, I love it on popcorn.. sprinkled on a salad... pasta.. etc
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ok, sorry. The first thing I thought of the Woody Allen quote from Annie Hall. "I’ll have the alfalfa sprouts and a plate of mashed yeast."
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    A Google search has resulted in the cases of candidemia being nosocomial diagnosed in immunosupressed patients receiving nutrition via a catheter.

In English: AIDS patients, people undergoing chemotherapy, etc. can catch this from insufficiently sterilized feeding tubes. I didn't find any mention of it in healthy individuals.

Edit to say: thanks for the link

Oh quit talking sense no point in wasting precious energy to educate when it is going to be thrown out and agrued some strange "fact." I applaud the attempt though I saw the original reply almost commented but decided it wasnt worth my time.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Oh quit talking sense no point in wasting precious energy to educate when it is going to be thrown out and agrued some strange "fact." I applaud the attempt though I saw the original reply almost commented but decided it wasnt worth my time.

Here's a great song about the biology/effects of my favorite way to consume S. cerevisiae. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to check my blood for a yeast overgrowth.
    http://bmcdb.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/a-biologists-st-patricks-day-song/
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

You can't educate a biochemist(someone who studies the body in depth) if you don't study it as well. If you had a more open mind you might learn something that can enhance the quality of your life.

I have yet to find any real research that shows consuming yeast is what causes what you are talking about. Sure, if you consume it in super high quantities but there are many other reasons that the issue you mentioned can be caused by.... I have yet to find a study (peer reviewed) that shows consuming yeast will cause a blood infection.

Not everyone will have the same reaction to what they consume.

We consume yeast everyday... and have for a very long time.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Yet people are sicker than ever before. You think we just eat it and it comes out the other end and none of it gets absorbed?

I know we're off topic, sort of, here. However, I don't want the OP to be scared away from eating yeast based on your comments.

I have to let you know that I still can't find any studies that show people caught this form of blood infection from EATING yeast. Everyone in the studies I saw contracted it thru catheters. I hope you can understand my confusion with your conclusion that EATING it causes blood infections. Nosocomial infections are b@stards, I agree. If you are passionate about lowering hospital-caught infections, I urge you to donate money to fund research in this field and to make sure neither you nor your loved ones take unnecessary antibiotics. And when you need antibiotics, to follow the directions exactly as instructed.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It is a different strain of yeast than brewers yeast or bread yeast. It's grown on molasses. Brewers yeast and bread yeast are terribly bitter where nutritional yeast is nutty and buttery.. don't get them confused! :noway:

Sprinkled into olive oil and stirred with a fork it's a great dip for artichokes. You can sprinkle on other veggies along with some Italian spices and sea salt and then drizzle with olive oil.

Like a lot of people I also like it on popcorn with other spices added.

You can thicken soups with it, it tastes like you've added extra butter and sweet cream to the soup. Just don't boil it hard or it'll get bitter.

Again, Nutritional yeast tastes a lot like butter, so anything buttery it makes taste even more buttery.

It's oddly good sprinkled on buttered toast.. which is something I've done for years with it long before I knew that eating it on toast this way is not that different than Vegemite or Marmite which Aussies and Brits eat on toast. Marmite and especially Vegemite are made from similar yeast processed into a spread.

I have a cookbook (The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook) that has a recipe how to combine nutritional yeast with flour and butter in a saucepan to make a stretchy fake cheese that is actually quite tasty.

It really is nutritional too, here's a breakdown: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1323565/2

I avoid most "yeasted" stuff for candida reasons but I've always heard nutritional yeast is different from the candida strain. I still limit my portions of it, it's fairly high in carbs but it packs B vitamins better than a B complex supplement so I enjoy it in moderation.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    No, consuming nutritional yeast does not lead to a candida overgrowth. You might as well say that eating mushrooms causes jock itch. Both are fungus, after all... Systemic candida overgrowth is very rare in any case, and most common in individuals that are immune suppressed, on antibiotics, that kind of thing.

Anyway, OP, nutritional yeast is delicious, in my opinion, and good on just about anything that you'd put salt on. Yum!!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I am in the minority here. I tried it cuz I can't have cheese. It seemed like an awesome idea...then, it went in the trash - nauseating. It smelled like stinky feet and tasted like *kitten*. :sick:

Ironically 80% of cheese smells like stinky feet.