Don't shoot looking for a bad for you recipe for lemon bars

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
I don't want a "refurbished" recipe for lemon bars, nothing "lower cal or fat" i'm looking for the one that uses a lemon pie filling and some kinda crust on the bottom. My grandmother use to make them albeit with a homemade lemon filling, but i've had it with a pie filling and tasted just as good. I want to make these for my kids and grandma when she's visiting next weekend, since she's suffering from dementia, she lives in a home and all her cookbooks have been thrown, i'm assumig, she's got no idea where they are. If anyone can help me out i'd appreciate it, I tried a recipe today from allrecipe.com, but it sucked, wasn't even close, filling was runny and just wasn't what I wanted!

Replies

• youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Ingredients
    For the Crust:

Vegetable oil, for greasing
    1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, diced
    2 cups of all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, plus more for garnish
    1/4 teaspoon salt

For the Filling:

4 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
    1 teaspoon greated lemon zest
    1 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 8 lemons)

Directions
    Make the crust: Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch pan with vegetable oil and line with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides; grease the foil with oil. Pulse the butter, flour, both sugars and the salt in a food processor until the dough comes together, about 1 minute. Press evenly into the bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of the prepared pan, making sure there are no cracks. Bake until the crust is golden, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the filling: Whisk the whole eggs and yolks, sugar and flour in a bowl until smooth. Whisk in the lemon zest and juice. Remove the crust from the oven and reduce the temperature to 300 degrees F. Pour the filling over the warm crust and return to the oven. Bake until the filling is just set, 30 to 35 minutes.

Let the bars cool in the pan on a rack, then refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours. Lift out of the pan using the foil and slice. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Very Yummy...hope this helps ya!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Ingredients
    For the Crust:

Vegetable oil, for greasing
    1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, diced
    2 cups of all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, plus more for garnish
    1/4 teaspoon salt

For the Filling:

4 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
    1 teaspoon greated lemon zest
    1 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 8 lemons)

Directions
    Make the crust: Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch pan with vegetable oil and line with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides; grease the foil with oil. Pulse the butter, flour, both sugars and the salt in a food processor until the dough comes together, about 1 minute. Press evenly into the bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of the prepared pan, making sure there are no cracks. Bake until the crust is golden, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the filling: Whisk the whole eggs and yolks, sugar and flour in a bowl until smooth. Whisk in the lemon zest and juice. Remove the crust from the oven and reduce the temperature to 300 degrees F. Pour the filling over the warm crust and return to the oven. Bake until the filling is just set, 30 to 35 minutes.

Let the bars cool in the pan on a rack, then refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours. Lift out of the pan using the foil and slice. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Very Yummy...hope this helps ya!

Thank you, this sounds like the one! and it's tried and true! ok, gonna go try batch number two.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bump
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    That sounds better than Becca's! :laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    That sounds better than Becca's! :laugh:
    :laugh: could it be the butter, white sugar, & brown sugar this recipe calls for?:tongue: But I agree Selby:blushing: :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.