Self distugust

Options
I just uploaded a picture of myself taken by one of the guys I ride motorcycles with. In New England when there is snow, we get together for a few parties to help with PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome). I HATE THIS PICTURE. I have this thing on 2 cabinets in kitchen and on the fridge. In big bold black marker I wrote across the top, "Do you really want to continue looking like this?" And drew a nice big arrow to my gut. I won't even look at myself in the mirror when I shave anymore. I hope this place helps, cuz I know I cannot do it alone, not yet anyway.

Replies

• kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I hope you get your help here, too! I should do that picture thing in my house az well...thats a good idea. One day at a time and we'll get where we want to be!

Good luck!
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good luck.. you can do it..
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Take it from this ninja. Don't be hard on yourself. All you need is time and you'll wish you weren't so hard on yourself because really, this is easy. And if you don't find what you're doing to be easy, there are changes you can make to change that. Feel free to add me and ask for advice and talk about oil changes
    13599033_1651.jpg
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad. I know many of us are unsatisfied with our appearance; that's a part of why we are here. But I don't know if posting a picture and looking at your own negative self-talk on a regular basis is healthy, either.

Even if you were at your ideal weight, you can still look bad in a photo. Bad pictures happen all the time and it doesn't mean anything, really.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Pictures are great though. Even the nasty ones. Think about how accomplished you will feel about looking at that photo later. I really kind of wish I had a before pic.
  • sbatch43
    sbatch43 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am generally a happy go lucky guy. A friend at this party is one of those camera freaks, snapping all day long. he shared this one with me and a bunch of others, usually I don't care. I am not about self hate, I'm just using this NASTY picture of me to help keep me motivated. All my life I could eat whatever I wanted and it never showed up on the tummy line. My parents told me in my 20s that one day it would catch up with me. I hit my early 30s and it did. I've been basically in denial for 10 years. It's just time to wake up.
  • GreenLaura22
    GreenLaura22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm all about finding the sunny side in any given situation....the sunny side of how that picture makes you feel is that it can be a catalyst for you to eat better and move more. Or "more shakin' ....less bacon" : )

I have only been eating mindfully and working out for 8 days and I am already feeling better and looking better! Don't give up on yourself, promise yourself that TODAY you will try.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pics and you don't look that bad at all so don't be hard on yourself.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm a fellow PMS sufferer living in upstate NY and looking forward to riding at a much lighter weight this season, and looking much better on my cruiser.