Workout preference? (Gym, classes, or at home?)

Options
2»

Replies

• OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I prefer home work-outs. However, I have never tried a class, so I won't say that It wouldn't happen, I actually do want to try it. I personally do not like working out in front of anyone. It's an irrational fear I guess, that I've always had. I get anxious if I have to work out around anyone, and sometimes that can even include my fiance. I'd rather just do you tube video's and run on my treadmill. I don't believe I need a machine to tone and strength train, so I get hand weights to do so. Besides, driving an hour to a gym that is decent and worth the money, is not worth the extra 2 hours when I can spend those 2 hours on extra exercise, or on homework.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am a student, so I get access to our state of the art recreation center for free (if you want to look, http://www.kent.edu/recservices/index.cfm). When i am at the gym, I usually run on the indoor track. They also offer classes as well. I bought an unlimited $40 pass for the whole semester as usually take Zumba, Yoga, and Power Pump classes.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Home. I work at a large community center that has a very very nice fitness center in it. I get free access to that, and to all classes. But I don't like it. I like to wake up, eat breakfast, exercise, shower, and go about my day. Working out at home fits that.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I feel like working out in my apartment is EXTREMELY limiting mainly because of space but also because of the carpet.
    Does anybody have this problem to or am I just imagining it's harder with carpet? haha

I can't imagine not working out on carpet.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym and classes. I am horrible if I am left to myself at home. The couch looks way to comfortable for me to workout once I get home, it calls my name.
    I never thought I would turn into such a "gym rat" but I found the perfect gym for me. It's a smaller gym, less crowded than a lot of the chains (although it is a chain). When I started, I paid a little more than some other gyms, but it is a perfect fit for me. I was never intimitated, even 100 pounds ago. So, of you are thinking of joining a gym, try out several, most will give you a free week if you ask. Find one that is convenient and "fits" you. I also try new classes all the time, Groupon and Living Social are great places to find coupons for deals on classes.
  • justmarie
    justmarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and the gym. When I am not in mood to go to the gym, I work out at home. I use 10 Minutes Solution: Pilates to work out and I love it! Their work out routine is easy and fun. Of course, I have been doing their work out for about a month so I am somewhat bored with it already. I already ordered this DVD called Breathless Body the other day and will get the DVD this Thursday. Can't wait.

As for the gym, I go there twice a week. I like to use their treadmill so I can do sprints. I also sometime use their machines for weight lifting...just to tone up my arms and legs. I am thinking about quitting the gym soon, but I don't know when. I am just afraid that I may get bored with working out at home one day and end up not being a member of the gym anymore.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Gym. I can never seem to get into working out at home - the DVD's are so boring, and I have 3 kids and a puppy...not exactly a prime exercise enviroment.

I belong to a gym, and have a trainer. 3 days a week I do cardio on my own, 2 days a week I weight train with the trainer. I've never done a class, and I have no desire to ever do one. All the classes are included in my membership, it just doesn't sound fun to me.

Once the snow melts and its above freezing, I'll start running outside instead of at the gym. We have lots of forest trails that are fun for running.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, I do most of my cardio at home too, unless I'm out on a run. I do teach a fitness class 1x a week tho at my church's gym!
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. It forces me to burn more calories and work out longer than I actually want to (i.e well, I'm already here, might as well hop on that bike).

I've never been a group fitness person and don't dig classes. Although, it has crossed my mind recently to try one.
  • jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it up to keep it interesting. I go to the gym, go running, yoga on youtube, zumba class or dance with my Xbox Kinect. If I do the same thing everyday I get bored quickly.. I try to do something everyday.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    I work with a trainer 4x a week....best investment in myself ever!!!
  • mmk2988
    Options
    I prefer Home. it i easy, can do lots of workouts getting reference from Internet.
    Can take break, and make use of travel time to gym.
  • DispatcherLangmaid
    Options
    My gym has the best classes. I do classes almost 6 days a week now
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love the gym...I belong to three of them for very different reason! One is a boxing gym that I just can't get enough, one is a gym with my personal trainer (it's a functional fitness gym, kinda looks like what a crossfit box would), and one is a regular gym where I switch it up between my favorite classes the moment and also plenty of strength training (weights weights weights) and cardio machine warm-ups and cool downs.

Some of my personal favorite classes at one point or another have been: kickboxing, Zumba, Spinning, BodyPump, Body Attack, Yoga, Pilates and TRX.

Find what you love. Find what is fun. Find what makes you sweat. This is what will work for you. Enjoy!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and the gym. When I am not in mood to go to the gym, I work out at home. I use 10 Minutes Solution: Pilates to work out and I love it! Their work out routine is easy and fun. Of course, I have been doing their work out for about a month so I am somewhat bored with it already. I already ordered this DVD called Breathless Body the other day and will get the DVD this Thursday. Can't wait.

As for the gym, I go there twice a week. I like to use their treadmill so I can do sprints. I also sometime use their machines for weight lifting...just to tone up my arms and legs. I am thinking about quitting the gym soon, but I don't know when. I am just afraid that I may get bored with working out at home one day and end up not being a member of the gym anymore.

I know exactly how you feel about the boredom issue. My suggestion is to check out youtube. There are plenty of exercise video's on there such as Zumba, Weight lifting, HIIT, and yoga as well. Befit in 90 is one of my favorites, and livestrong too.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love the gym. Being at home holds no accountability. and classes make me nervous with that many people.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Gym for lifting (and some bike HIIT), cardio mostly outdoors through sports, riding and running, boxing and pilates classes. Anything but working out at home really.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've never had any desire to join a gym. I'm an introvert who likes solitude, and the thought of all those people and the loud music...ugh. Maybe I'm lucky in that I'm able to stay motivated to exercise on my own. I have walked for exercise for over 25 years now. We also have an arc trainer in the basement (before that it was a treadmill) that we both use regularly. I just ordered a Jillian Michaels DVD. Looking forward to that!

I totally agree with the person who said about walking, that when you get a couple miles from home, you can't just quit because you have to walk home! I've thought that very same thing so many times. It's easy to quit the treadmill or arc trainer before you originally intended, but walking, running, biking...not so much!