Has anyone tried Kale?

Options
I'm looking for ways to get more iron in my diet and have recently discovered that dried parsley & thyme are great sources with is fab cuz I love to sprinkle those over my dinner anyway. Another one that keeps popping up on high iron lists is kale, has anyone tried it? Is it nice? How do I cook it and last but not least has anyone got any yummy recipes that incorporate kale?

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ways to get more iron in my diet and have recently discovered that dried parsley & thyme are great sources with is fab cuz I love to sprinkle those over my dinner anyway. Another one that keeps popping up on high iron lists is kale, has anyone tried it? Is it nice? How do I cook it and last but not least has anyone got any yummy recipes that incorporate kale?

Only in my shakes. Stem and all.

Cooking the stem on it's on taste like broccoli to me
  • UnrequitedLoveSong
    Options
    Zuppa Toscana

Ingredients
    • 1 pound ground Italian sausage
    • 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
    • 1 large diced white onion
    • 3 pieces bacon, chopped
    • 3 garlic cloves, minced
    • 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 cup heavy cream
    • 1 of a bunch of kale
    Directions
    1. Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
    2. In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
    3. Add chicken broth to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
    4. Add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
    5. Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve.
  • NiceSpydr
    NiceSpydr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Kale is very common to eat in the UK. For lots of great recipes, check out: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=kale
    Personally, I think it's delicious AND flexible to accompany many different types of meals.
  • acd_04
    acd_04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I chop it up into little peices and add it to any soups I make in the crock pot. I find you can't taste it at all this way. You can also bake it and make kale "chips." Add different seasonings for more flavor. I also like it in my smoothies.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    LOVE the recipe above!!! Very good!!
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love Kale and collard greens! They're yummy. Spinach is very bland compared to these 2. You can buy kale by the bag now like spinach or lettuce. And the directions to cook it is on the bag. I simmer mine all day with a turkey neck.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Love to juice kale, cut it up in a salad, even steam it.

Spinach has many of the same benefits and it's easier to find, by the way :)
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Creamed Kale is awesome! or throw kale in any soup or stew,. or blend in a green smoothie
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We make baked kale chips all the time. They have the crispness of potato chips and a little bit of salt, so it feels like junk food but it's actually really healthy.
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Haven't tried Kale but have tried Chard which I think are similar.
  • 82ale
    82ale Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes and I rather be fat than eat kale.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I pull stem off and wash each leaf, dropping it in big stockpot. There's like a 1/4 cup of water in the pot with all the leaves at the end or add enough water or broth to have about a 1/4 c. Chop up some cooked bacon and throw in the pot with a few generous shakes of hot sauce.
    Cover the pot so that the water steams the leaves maybe 15-20 mins. Even the juice is yummy.

Another splash of hot sauce or vinegar when you plate it and DELISH!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, love kale .......

Wash it, discard the "spine", chop leaves into big pieces and add to soups or stews ...... or cook it stovetop with a bit of vegetable, chicken or beef broth ...... or chop into small pieces and eat it raw in a salad :drinker:
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I put kale in my smoothies with frozen pineapple, cottage cheese and some Bolthouse Green machine. i think it takes like a slightly sweet salad in a cup lol.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Kale is awesome! I like the dinosaur kale variety, and used to make kale chips in the oven. As to your iron goals, are you vegetarian? Lean beef is a good way to gain iron, and you basically keep your bases covered eating it once or twice a month.
  • katmustbeskinny
    Options
    Tastes nasty, but add some cashews and lemon juice.
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I boil it with chicken stock and just season to taste and just eat. I sometimes steam it and then add light coconut milk and curry. I also break it up into pieces and add it to my white beans. I love Kale!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Kale is BITTER ... and is a natural laxitive.
  • pryordesign
    Options
    I make a smoothy every morning with greens, sometimes kale, sometimes spinach, sometimes both. It is surprisingly good! I have a Vitamix blender, which blends everything very smooth.

Sample Recipe:

I kale leaf (or handfull of baby spinach leaves, chard, or any green leafy)
    1cup water
    1 whole apple (cut the whole thing into quarters, and toss in, seeds and all)
    1/4 lemon
    2 tbsp honey
    lots of ice

blend until very smooth and drink while fresh.

It's a great way to get your greens and re-train your body to crave them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We stir fry kale a couple of times a week in various ways. LOVE kale.

We love sauteed kale, white bean, and gorgonzola tacos.