Really could use some encouraging words

Options
I have been back on here for a little over a month. I have been doing really well, and have lost seven pounds. I was feeling really good about myself. Two pair of my jeans fit me now and my husband and family says they are starting to see my stomach pulling back in.

However, I work from home. I outgrew ALL of my clothes. I have been wearing yoga pants and stuff like that for the last three months. Since two pairs of my jeans fit I thought I was doing really well. That all changed tonight. Tomorrow my company is having a big work retreat and it mandatory that everyone go even the employees that work from home. The crappy part is we are not allowed to wear jeans tomorrow we have to dress up. WELL, apparently my progress has not been enough as none of my dress pants fit, my skirts do not fit and my dresses do not fit either. The ones I could get on and button I could not sit down in them. I have just spent the last hour and a half sitting on the floor of my closet bawling my eyes out. My husband is trying to be so supportive, but it just is not helping. He has no idea what I am going through so his encouraging words just don't seem to be helping. I did finally find a pair of pants, not sure where they came from, but I am glad I found them. Even though I found them and they do fit I now feel so defeated.

Please tell me if anyone has been through this. If so, what did you do to keep going and not do what I have been doing; bawling my eyes out for almost 2 hours now.

This was such a kick in the teeth! :(

Replies

• Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up! We've all been in similar situations, that's why we're on here!

Just remember that it's a journey. The weight will come back off. Just work hard and give it time. <3
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in one month is an awesome start and you're fitting back into some of your clothes so it's obviously showing in inches not just the scale. It obviously doesn't help for the retreat tomorrow but you're on the right track and if you just keep going then you will easily fit back into those clothes soon. Use this as motivation and don't let it take away from what you're already achieved. It doesn't take a lot of weight to take a pair of pants from tight to fitting perfectly (and then being loose) so keep at it!!!
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! 7 pounds in one month is amazing! You wanna know how long it took me to lose my 5? 5 whole months. So you're doing great!
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Cyn - I love you and you have done an amazing job. 7 pounds is a lot of weight to lose in 1 month and we all know how hard you are working even John knows. You are correct in saying he dosn't know what you are going thru, but at least he is supporting you in this journey. Use this as motivation instead of defeat. You are not defeated, you have loss weight, started eating healtier, and working out, which is a huge accomplishment. I am sure that at one point or another we have all sat on the floor and cried over our weight for one reason or another, and guess what? Tomorrow was a new day and we just kept going and we continued to lose weight and feel better. I know it sucks that you dont have any dress pants that fit, but you do have 2 pairs of jeans that fit now..YEA!!! The size of your clothes and the number on the scale don't matter, as long as you are happy with what you are doing and seeing the progress. Keep you head up honey, and know we are all with you.

I LOVE YOU BESTIE!!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I cant imagine how that must feel. Only thing I would try to add is to use this to fuel the fire! Burn up the calories and the fat! You are already a new you! Keep it up.........YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    If you can, borrow something to wear from a friend to get through the immediate crisis of having nothing to wear. Then remind yourself of the progress you are making. Every day you make the choice to eat better and move more, which is going to pay off in improved health. That's great!

Keep your chin up. This is a speedbump on the road to better health.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It is harder to lose the weight than it was to gain it. If it was easy we wouldn't struggle with it. Keep fighting and you will get into those other pants, dresses and skirts. You will even be able to go out and buy some new ones, because those will eventually become your fat clothes! Don't give up!
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    7 lb is a dang good beginning! And regarding sizes, don't worry, you will be getting in to those old clothes soon enough. I was discouraged for a long time at not seeming to change size despite the weight loss; it took me losing 15 lb to get out of my previous size!!! But it is worth it now and will be worth it when you get there. Keep plugging in your meals and workouts and you will be there before you know it.
  • misslmarie28
    misslmarie28 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Aww i totally know where you are coming from. My daughter just said to me yesterday that her and my husband would stay far away from me when I was 'searching for something that fit' . So i feel your pain. Your doing great though...so keep up the good work. But never forget that day and how it made you feel. Use that feeling to keep you motivated! ; )
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Woohoo on your 7 pound loss! I totally understand where you are coming from! So why not for your 7 pound loss, treat yourself to some new dress slacks? :smile:
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Been there!!! Had to go to an event at my husband's office. NOTHING fit!! Felt huge!!! Felt defeated...but didn't quit. Never lost as much as 7 pounds in a month...but in a little over a year and a half...I lost 80 pounds. THEN the next event...I looked fantastic. This will be you! Wait and see. Stick with it and in 6 months nothing will fit in your closet because it is too BIG!!! You can do it! I would buy one outfit that you feel good in now...then wait and see!
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh, sweet dear, it's all going to be alright.
    I recently had a baby and gained 80 lbs! I started losing the weight and thought I would be able to fit some of my old clothes.. but when I went to put on my work uniform for my first day back... my fat was spilling over the top of my pants. -_- When I went in to work, a customer asked me how many weeks pregnant I am (and my baby is 4 months old!)
    Just know that you're doing awesome! Don't give up! Your family knows how hard you've worked and how far you've come.
    The race is long.. but in the end, it's only with yourself. <3
  • fitgirl4x48
    fitgirl4x48 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Remember this is only temporary. You will fit those at a later date, that's all! Don't let prepackaged sizes of clothes defeat your happiness ~~you have worked hard, done a great job and are a very committed person. You're just in transition right now...be gentle with yourself!! ((((hugs))))
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You are doing great!

Go to your nearest thrift or consignment store and get one nice outfit that fits at your current weight. When you shrink out of it, you can sell or donate it.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. Your jeans are fitting again, that's great. Give yourself more time and everything else will too :)
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Use this awful day as your motivation to stay on course. Take your selfie and make this day 1 because you never want to be crying on the closet floor ever again. It's not easy. We are here for you.
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If I were in your situation, I would say screw it and go buy myself a nice outfit to wear that makes you feel confident and fits enough for you to be comfortable. Also, use this sucky situation to amplify your hatred for your weight! Every time you feel like slacking on your diet/workouts think of how bummed out you were trying to put together a simple professional outfit.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you had to feel down and depressed about your body. Those days happen, and the feelings linger more than we expect them to. As you pick yourself up from the closet floor, try to feel proud of your accomplishments and know that there are lots of us here on MFP rooting for you. If you have time, go to the Success Stories and read some of the posts - especially the people who have lost 100+ pounds. I find those so inspiring because I can't imagine how hard that would be (I only had 40 to lose). Drink a cup of calming tea, take some deep breaths, and remember: "No matter how slow you go, you're always lapping the person on the couch." You have made the decision to change, and for many people that's the hardest step and the one they will never take.

I am in a maintenance place, but if you want daily support, feel free to add me as a friend! Otherwise, I look forward to seeing your "success story" post - I know you can do it!!!!!
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged.. use this to motivate and vow to yourself that through healthy eating and movement... you will continue to make progress. Sometimes the weight doesn't come off like you want and it definitely doesn't happen fast...but continue your program... thank God you found a pair of pants to fit... i do not think that it was coincidence... use this as your wake up call... enjoy your work.... and continue to wear your jeans...avoid the yoga and stretchy pants..i find when i wear my tight clothes, it reminds me not to overeat so they will fit better tomorrow!!!!!! good luck
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Even if it kills you today, take a picture of yourself in those pants. Then imagine how you'll feel when you look back on that in a couple of months, or even at your next company outing!! You obviously took the steps to start losing weight before things got too out of control. You've now lost 7 lbs in a month instead of gaining two more to take of next month or the month after! You can (ARE) do this!!