Question.

Options
R most of these success stories strictly from using mfp and counting calories or are u all also working out. I'm just curious bc I see all these amazing stories and how many calories were eatin but sometimes hardly anything about working out and exercising.

Replies

• BodyOfMarylinMonroe
    Options
    For me personally MPF has helped but the real change only happened when I started eating less and better foods. I was so big though that at first all did was eat less and I lost about 20 pounds in about a month. Now I try and walk my dog everyday but usually it's like a 15 minute walk every other day and sometimes I still eat unhealthy but I am still doing pretty good.
    Everyone body is different though really. I tell myself even if I do a little bad and don't loose that week, I'd rather maintain than gain!
    Hope this helps! :D
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    R most of these success stories strictly from using mfp and counting calories or are u all also working out. I'm just curious bc I see all these amazing stories and how many calories were eatin but sometimes hardly anything about working out and exercising.

Are you sure you're reading properly? Nearly every post I read mentions exercise.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just moved to MFP from Lose it. No particular reason, but I found myself looking up calories here, so I just switched. I love the little note when I wrap up my food for the day. It's cool that it says "If you ate this way every day in 5 weeks you'd weigh..." It encourages me. I like the way folks look at my diary before saying, "good job".. starving yourself is not a good job.

Anyway, I read the Lose It book.. and the Sparks book is good too. I also read "You can be better next year." I read a book about Emotional Blackmail.. and really got REAL with myself. That I am important and that when I make a promise to myself it is as important as the promises I make to others.

I wear a fitbit.. and love the challenge. I took up hiking and walking.. which I LOVE..and I walk on the DREAD mill bringing a mystery to read on my Kendall or IPad.... I work out with a trainer..

I identified ways I was sabotaging myself and don't allow others to manipulate me.. It was a learning curb. Tracking helped me to see triggers and patterns.

My mom died this year and it set me back a bit, but just a bit (weight wise).. which was it's own victory. So I would say.. it can't be just MFP .. that's one thing .. but there are other things to consider.

It really is about so many things. This is a good start for folks though..
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I believe the adage that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. That being said, if you exercise, you can up your (restricted) caloric intake and eat more like you're accustomed to while still losing weight. That helps you succeed. Also, exercising makes you more aware of your body and more in-tune with your overall fitness, which can be a great motivator. There's nothing like the rush of being able to push through your physical boundaries because you're stronger (and lighter) than you once were.

As another poster noted, careful reading of virtually every success story here will reveal a workout regimen. While you cannot get slim by exercise alone, my personal opinion is that you cannot STAY fit without adopting a smart, balanced lifestyle that incorporates good eating, occasional treats and indulgences, and lots of physical activity.

Good luck!!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about the calorie deficit. Exercise is incredibly important, but you exercise for fitness. No matter how much you exercise you can eat up all the calories you've burned if you try to (not recommended, but possible). If you combine a calorie deficit with a healthy diet and solid exercise routines, you will get to a healthy weight with a strong and fit body.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!