55 lbs lost...in 4 years (Pic heavy)

Options
So this post is more to serve as a motivator for myself as I've seemed to reach a plateau with my weight-loss, yet again, and I'm hoping some visual recognition will get my scales moving in the right direction again. (Along with recommitting to the gym and healthy food choices, of course!)

Here's my story:
I've battled my weight since elementary school and managed to keep control of it until college through the use of yoga, tae-bo, and weight watchers. However, freshman year away at college with no meal plan and a very limited budget led me to late nights of pizza, wings, and burgers, as well as LOTS of packaged/processed foods. I can't remember eating anything that resembled a vegetable my freshman year. I began 2004 around 180lbs, but after 4 years of intense classes, rehearsals, multiple jobs, and lots of extra-curricular activities, I found myself at graduation toppling the scales somewhere around 270lbs. (Please note, a 90-lbs difference in 4 years...YIKES)

April 2008 - College graduation ~270lbs
7dd53840-1c43-45bb-861d-691acbff00bf_zps85377a1d.jpg
0a80e638-4fac-4249-95dc-44edd765b714_zpsa673da71.jpg

Moved home after graduation and after 6 months of self-loathing, I joined a gym and dug out my dusty weight-watchers materials. I was struggling with depression and finding a job wasn't helping the matter, so I knew joining WW again wasn't a option. I stumbled upon My Fitness Pal, and started logging in October of 2008. By the summer of 2009, I was down to 230lbs and was feeling great.

Then, weight-loss came to a staggering halt when I began applications for graduate schools and was working 60-70 hours a week to pay for all of the applications, flights, lessons, fees, etc. I managed to maintain this weight until I moved to Colorado in August of 2010. Upon moving to Colorado, I lost another 10 lbs my first semester, but after a difficult breakup, I found myself stressed and lonely, and by summer of 2011, I had gained 20# back.
c51fb19c-791a-4a48-b9db-3b0f703505e9_zps94716cb4.jpg
a95fa7a8-2d54-4c92-9e69-e146494c02c2_zps06725e0a.jpg

So, back on track for the gazillionth time. I finished my Master's Degree in May 2012 and was solidly weighing in around 235lbs. Once I settled in to two new jobs, I joined a local gym and focused on eating healthy again. I've lost about 22lbs since then and cannot seem to get below 212lbs. So...here are my most recent pictures from the holidays.
c5a765a3-75f8-4f88-8076-3f1fb1c5d5f7_zps64b805d5.jpg
e09bcd17-850e-49f1-9555-22896048ec2a_zps68f77c5b.jpg
fbcef24d-a839-485c-86bb-5989391b8048_zpsb3b313d9.jpg

There ya have it folks, my weight-loss journey over the past 4 years...and still counting. I have a LOT on my plate in the next 6 months, including a huge opera performance and being Maid-of-Honor in a giant wedding for my best friend. I want to feel comfortable in my skin, and while I notice the differences in pictures, I don't see it in the mirror any more. Here's to a fresh start in the morning and to always dusting ourselves off and moving on in the direction of our dreams.

Thank you, MFP-ers. Without your posts, thoughts, struggles, and successes I never would have gotten this far. Let's hope I get these last 60lbs off in less than 4 years! ;)

Replies

• jhavila
    Options
    Well done. You still have that focus. Don't lose it. Use your support system including your friends here at MFP. Look back at what you've accomplished and be proud. It's ok to pat yourself on the back. :)
  • frances_hudson
    Options
    I think you look absolutely stunning.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I agree - you look beautiful! And very stylish. Keep it up, I know it's discouraging sometimes with these plateaus, but you have great commitment, and you will get there!
  • hayleyxx93
    hayleyxx93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing! I'll add you and we can keep each other motivated! Have you tried any exercise programs? I've not long started the 30 day shred, might be worth a try? It's a real motivation booster especially when you see the before and after pictures :)
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree as well-you look very beautiful! You are doing well, so just keep it up! :)
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You look great! When I hit a plateau that lasted for months I went to my doctor and at her advice I changed to a low carb diet. I REALLY didn't want to do it, it went against everything I had learned about nutrition. But she convinced me to try it just untill I broke through the plateau then I could add carbs back in. As much as I hated it and was against it, it worked. It also forced me to find new foods and recipies to enjoy after months of eating the same foods (hey, they worked) which is prolly what led to the plateau in the first place :) Just a suggustion to keep in mind. Keep it up my fellow song bird!
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options
    You look great!!!!!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    You look great!..You came this far it is only a matter of time before you reach your goal.
  • texastwilight
    texastwilight Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You look great! Just keep doing what you are doing. One day at a time, you will get there!
  • calamitykat80
    calamitykat80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    You are lovely, congratulations on your Masters. You are quite the acomplished young lady! The wedding and huge perfomance are great short term goals. In the long run I hope you do this just for you, because you are surely worth it.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Such a great job! I love those after dresses!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You look so wonderful! You look happy and confident as well. You look ready to have an exciting and joyous life!
  • amandasilva
    amandasilva Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You are looking great- I hope you keep the motivation to keep working toward your goal!
    Cheers to you!
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You look great! When I hit a plateau that lasted for months I went to my doctor and at her advice I changed to a low carb diet. I REALLY didn't want to do it, it went against everything I had learned about nutrition. But she convinced me to try it just untill I broke through the plateau then I could add carbs back in. As much as I hated it and was against it, it worked. It also forced me to find new foods and recipies to enjoy after months of eating the same foods (hey, they worked) which is prolly what led to the plateau in the first place :) Just a suggustion to keep in mind. Keep it up my fellow song bird!

Thanks for the advice! I think I really do need to try something different with my food choices. I technically work three different jobs right now, so time is always a limited factor, but I think that plays a huge part in plateaus as well. :) Thanks, and best of luck to you as well!
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing! I'll add you and we can keep each other motivated! Have you tried any exercise programs? I've not long started the 30 day shred, might be worth a try? It's a real motivation booster especially when you see the before and after pictures :)

I made it through Day 17 of the 30DS, but I moved and live upstairs. I have a weird complex about sounding like a herd of animals to my downstairs neighbors, so I really don't like to work out at home any more. It's unfortunate, because it was cheaper and easier for me to get at least some sort of daily activity in when I lived in a lower level apartment. Thanks for the suggestion though!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    well done - you look phenomenal

keep it up!
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    great job! you look fantastic! I too had lost 50 lbs 2 yrs ago and 20 of it has crept back on. I will not give up ever tho on reaching my goal!
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! You look great btw
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Love your sense of style by the way.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!