My digital scales.. are a bit loopy

Options
Now before I begin, I am aware that I'll get a load of scale bashing, all I am looking for is practical advise.. People's experiences. I am not using my scales to weigh myself each day and complain about fluctuations etc..

My digital scales have gone mad. I can stand on them 5 times and get 5 different readings across a range of 6lbs, so not helpful.

Yes, they are on a hard surface unmoved.

Whenever I put a 5kg dumbell on, they are exactly accurate each time.. So what's up when I stand on them?

Anyone had this problem before? Solved it? Should I just chuck em? They are pretty new :ohwell:

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    That is very strange indeed. When you stand on them do they continually fluctuate or does it do it for a few seconds then 'locks in' the weight? Mine does and that is intended to account for your fluctuation as you move and sway on the scales. If you are getting fluctuations of 6lbs though as you stand on it I'd say its defo faulty. What brand is the scale?
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Oh no, they 'lock' each time on a different reading, each reading with upto 6lbs in difference.. I do turn it on and off to see if that makes a difference.

E.g. reading 1: 149
    Reading 2: 146
    Reading 3: 150 ... etc

But in a way you are right too, that even before it 'locks' onto a reading, it flicks quite high up and down. But is bang on 5kg for the weights.

It's a Salter scale :S
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had that problem with my old scale. I can't recall the name. It was something I picked up at Target six or seven years ago.

The scale would show a different weight depending on exactly where I placed my feet, if I leaned forward, back, etc. I tried a new battery and that didn't help either.

Last month, I replaced it with this EatSmart scale:
    http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361271864&sr=8-2&keywords=bathroom+scale

BIG numbers and extremely accurate, no matter how I place my feet. And, unlike my other digital scale, it shows partial pounds in 2/10th increments. I love it!

Depending on how new the scale is, I'd consider returning it or contacting the manufacturer.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have one just like it! I feels like throwing it out the bathroom window sometimes.:explode:
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Digital scales can be terribly inaccurate. I once went a Bed Bath & Beyond store and ran a tree step test of ten digital scales. 1) my weight, 2) my weight plus some five pound item, 3) my weight. 1) and 3) were more often than not off by more than half a pound. Some up to two pounds off. Some months later I returned and found one that passed the test. A Salter Stainless Steel Electronic Scale which weighs in increments of two tenths of a pound. Still, like many other scales, it appears to remember recent weights, so it's sometimes necessary to do some variation of the tree step test. Ideally I would like a scale so accurate that it could tell whether I had cut my nails or put on deodorant. Perhaps a future edition of the mentioned Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale!
  • JanelleSonnenberg1
    Options
    Min4us...I LOVE your profile picture!!!

I use to have a digital scale...but I would get all sorts of readings dependin on breathing(?), feet placement, placement on the flooor....it was so annoying! I went to a scale that spins around...:) It's old fashion but I feel better now! :)

Have a great day and good luck!!!
  • MN4US
    Options
    Thanks Janelle!!

Unfortunately, I got quite cross with my scales and 'accidentally' quite violently 'dropped' them down the back of my bed.. To banish them from my life! :sick: :bigsmile:

I am going to stick to once a week, either at my local drug store or when I visit my parents (who have an old fashioned spinny one).
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I had big problems with my scales being inaccurate like you had described. I could get on them 5 times in a row and it would lock into different readings all five times by up to 20kg. I was at first upset - had paid big money for my scales which also told fat and muscle percentages, then I had an idea to bring in a spare heavy brick paving stone from outside and set the scale on it in the bathroom. It immediately solved the problem - for some reason the scale had not liked sitting on the bathroom lino. Now I love my scales, and they're soooo accurate.
  • MN4US
    Options
    Quick update.. My intentional act of violence towards my digital scales seems to have done the trick!!!

It works: stood on it 5 times, and had the same reading 5 times. :bigsmile:

Lesson: If it's not working, try giving it a good knock/drop? :tongue:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Have your tried replacing the batteries? That's usually what's behind erratic readings. You might have eked a little more life out of them by giving it a good kick!
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    mine can be like that but lately they have been giving the same reading, so i am please also have the mechanical (spinny) scales for a back up x
  • nicoled6842
    Options

I use to have a digital scale...but I would get all sorts of readings dependin on breathing(?), feet placement, placement on the flooor....it was so annoying! I went to a scale that spins around...:) It's old fashion but I feel better now! :)

Have a great day and good luck!!!

I just ordered a digital scale yesterday because my dial scale does this. The last straw was when I got on it 3 consecutive times and got 3 numbers that varied over 15lbs!
  • MN4US
    Options
    Have your tried replacing the batteries? That's usually what's behind erratic readings. You might have eked a little more life out of them by giving it a good kick!

They are only a month or so old.. I'd hope it wasn't the batteries! :(
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My scales are the same I can weigh anything between 184 and 205 lb - I spend 10 minutes moving it around the house and even get two widely different measurements in the same place.

Think I'm going to get some doctor scales instead.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Mine does the exact same thing- 5 consecutive times, 5 different readings. Brand new batteries, on a flat surface, nothing under it in the exact spot. I have gives up on the P.o.s. and now use my Wii balance board and Wii fit plus to weigh myself.

BTW- the scale I have us a health-o-meter that tracks weight loss.