Two years, just 20lbs but a huge difference - loads of pics

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
It's a familiar story. In the dying embers of my twenties, I found I'd got complacent and contented. In a well-paid job, "Let's just get a takeaway" or "Let's open a second bottle of wine, Thursday is the new Friday after all," became my siren call.

Moving to a new office, I ended up sharing an office with an Australian girl who was the most super-fit person I'd ever encountered - she ran marathons and could do a triathlon at the drop of a hat. Aged 29 I was wearing a size 18 (US size 14) polyester trouser suit and getting out of breath climbing stairs. With my colleague's encouragement, I joined the local YMCA gym. Starting with basic gym work and beginner's aerobics, I worked my way up to high-impact classes and circuit training. I can remember running my first mile on the treadmill as if it were yesterday. It took me 13.5 minutes, and I felt, and looked, as if I'd explode.

But within months I was running 5Ks, then 10Ks. I took part in a relay triathlon, then a sprint triathlon of my own. At my fittest, I took part in The X Zone, a hardcore fitness competition, in 2001. I looked like this:
X-Zone.jpg

I weep for that tiny waist!

But something went wrong. I felt that was it, I was fit, I didn't need to work at it any more. I threw away my Big Book Of Calories, and although I never abandoned fitness altogether, I didn't have any goals. Then I changed careers to journalism, a high-stress, low-pay job if ever there was one. After a long illness my mum died, I took it out on my partner, and ended up single, clinically depressed, and very, very fat. Here I am aged 43, once again straining size 18 clothes, and weighing 14 stone (196lbs):

Frontviewsmall.jpg

Realising I needed to get fit, and armed with my new smartphone, I started shopping for apps (free ones because I was broke!). I tried a few running and walking trackers which got me mobile but weren't terribly inspirational. Then I stumbled across MFP, which I was a bit meh about as as standalone app until I discovered the motivational forums and made awesome, inspirational friends.

I did a lot of this:
TaeBo1.jpg

Bought a lot of this from the local market:
Vegdrawer.jpg

Sweated this much:
Croppedtopgymdownstairs.jpg

And ran to Zombies, Run!, even in the rain:
c662f653-f910-4616-ac1b-b7c1493cce52_zpsa0690e23.jpg

I ate more to lose more, usually more than 2,000 calories a day. I tried lifting heavy, but it wasn't for me (too hurty to run the next day, easily bored, and no squat rack), and ended up doing more dynamic resistance work, especially kettlebells, and circuit training style exercise DVDs. If I couldn't do anything else, I'd walk fast at lunchtime.

At one point I'd lost 28lb, or two stones in old money. I was disappointed to put 8lb back on, but you know what? The number on the scale doesn't matter. Unless you have it tattooed on your forehead, no-one's going to see it except you.

Today I look like this:
f851e3e7-1591-4b26-a88c-80cefdcf3806_zps1c2160e3.jpg

I still have a long way to go in terms of shifting body composition and increasing fitness, but that's nothing compared with how far I've come, and I couldn't have done it without you. MFP friends. Thank you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• BendySpartan
    BendySpartan Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Amazing, you have done so so well. An inspiration xx
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Great job! You've come a long way and are very inspirational!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You're amazing Berry :drinker:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Fantastic transformation, there is just no substitute for determination is there!
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Really inspirational, shows the reality of the journey we're all on when we join MFP. Not always easy, but with motivational stuff like this on here then it makes you feel like it can be done! :-) Well done and thank you for being such a great MFP friend. :-)
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    Fab thread! Berry you look great and you were one of my earliest inspirations on MFP, you never give up and I love seeing your posts on my news feed - thank you x
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options
    That is such a huge difference! Really motivational!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    You're looking great B!
  • pollypo
    pollypo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look great. I know it was hard work but it paid off.
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You look like you're about to kick *kitten* and take names in that last shot. Absolutely awesome.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You have done so well BH - you have come a long way!! Proud to have shared the last two years with you!! Here's to the future!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    a really nice piece of realistic weight loss and the things that have driven you
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! You have done amazing well, well done x
  • NicoleR1980
    NicoleR1980 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing and so much younger CONGRATULATIONS :smile:
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Good Job Berry...:flowerforyou: yeah that ol depression bug can mess you up, I know. Keep on truckin! Cheers! :drinker:
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wow .. That's fantastic :-) you look great ..!!
    Can I ask how many times a week you exercised ..??
    I do 3 mainly sometimes 4 times .. I'm a busy nurse 3 times a week too (ED so I'm always running around like a headless chicken)
    I usually do 1 class of HITT exercise ... Run once or twice a week (3-4miles) and then a Jillian michaels DVD.
    I only have 7lbs to lose .. Started doing more calories a nd lost 4lbs in January. I'm also 43 :-)
    I'm hoping that I will get what you have .. You look ace x
  • BerryH
    Options
    Wow .. That's fantastic :-) you look great ..!!
    Can I ask how many times a week you exercised ..??
    I do 3 mainly sometimes 4 times .. I'm a busy nurse 3 times a week too (ED so I'm always running around like a headless chicken)
    I usually do 1 class of HITT exercise ... Run once or twice a week (3-4miles) and then a Jillian michaels DVD.
    I only have 7lbs to lose .. Started doing more calories a nd lost 4lbs in January. I'm also 43 :-)
    I'm hoping that I will get what you have .. You look ace x
    Thanks!

I only do "formal" exercise three or four times a week too, but I make sure I get some exercise every day. If I have a busy evening ahead, at lunchtime I'll swim at the local council pool near work, or run and have a wet-wipe shower (no showers at work!). If I know I won't have time to get sweaty, I go for a half-hour power-walk, or do some resistance exercises in ad breaks if I can't drag myself away from the TV.
  • BerryH
    Options
    You look like you're about to kick *kitten* and take names in that last shot. Absolutely awesome.
    :laugh: My favourite comment so far, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!