Help needed - hurt shoulder

Options
Think I damaged my shoulder by doing push-ups last night.
What can I do?
I thought the pain would go away today but it hasn't and I want to workout tomorrow.

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well if it is major pain, go to the doctor and get some professional help.

Otherwise I would stay away from push ups and any sort of upper body pushing exercise for a bit. Find a rubber exercise tube/band and do some light pushing exercises with it like shoulder press and bench press. If there is no pain then you can do like 1 set of 10 - 15 and do them 4-5 times a day. You can also do the old rotator cuff exercises to see if that helps too.

Using your exercise band, stand on one end, place your arm straight out from your side with a 90 degree bend in your elbow. You'll sort of look like you're waving. Hold the other end of the band in your hand and bend/rotate your arm about the elbow while keeping your upper arm pointing straight out from your side. You can also keep your upper arm close to your body, hook one end of the band around a door knob, keep your forearm at 90 degrees to your body and rotate the arm about the elbow away from your body. (This is harder to explain than I thought it was going to be). Same deal, 1 set of 10 - 15 and do them 4-5 times a day. Ibuprofen is your friend.

Most any cardio will be okay, lower body resistance drills should be okay. If you do not see any improvement is about a week go to the doctor.

DISCLAIMER: (Of course) I am not a doctor, trainer or therapist. The above has worked for me so all I have is anecdotal evidence. YMMV.