Lack of motivation...what do you do to kick it?

Options
Good morning MFP community! Hope you all enjoy your Tuesday...Question for you: What have any of you done to deal with your lack of motivation? This is not typical for me and I am really struggling to a) get to the gym and b) make food choices that keep me under my calorie goal..The past two weeks have been awful and I am pretty sure I have gained. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• tanderson1000
    Options
    Check out this video....it might help motivate you (it does it for me)!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmurxfN-o9k
  • Mamalea32
    Options
    I am motivated by the fact that my workout is like my only quiet time during my day. I get up at 3:55 a.m. just to do my routine. Also, I am motivated by the fact the exercise allows me to eat more of what I want.... within reason.:bigsmile:
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I always put my gym clothes on when I wake up. Then I read the forums. If I am really not in the mood, I do a quick 13 minute workout on Just Dance or my cable network. That gets going. If that don't work, I look at old pictures of myself when I was big.

Another thing that use to get to me, my calories were too low and I was hungry. So you may want to reevaluate your goals. I have mine at .5 a week.
  • Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For me I have to ride the non motivated period until it passes and then as soon as I feel reday I'll start again. It's depressing trying to be good when your hearts not in it xxx
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The skinny picture of myself on my fridge. or post jillian Michaels everywhere in your house (or some super hot girl you wanna look like),....

that usually motivates me.,
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to kick it! I have started walking at lunch every day, so that is helping a little...still can't make myself get on the ball in the evenings once I get home, though, and my eating definitely needs improvement!!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm to a point where motivation is a non-factor. Eating healthfully and working out 5-6 days a week is as much a part of my life as brushing my teeth and getting dressed. I don't ask myself if I feel like doing it. I just do it. But on the other hand, I always have something I'm working toward. Right now it's a half marathon in August.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a full-length mirror is all I need to keep motivated. Some people might think it's vanity, but I don't care what other people think. Even after I have a bad day, I pick myself up and do better the next day. One thing I have done is change my settings and set my calories at my TDEE. That way, I look at my daily deficit each day, and if I make a dumb choice, at the end of the day, I can at least say that I didn't go over my TDEE which means I won't gain. That has helped me a lot, as I am working toward having a diet that I can stick with the rest of my life.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I pull my fat clothes out of the closet as a reminder of what I am working for.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey I was 280.6 pounds, and I took a picture.....Now at 200 pounds everytime I don't feel like exercising I just look at my before picture, and it gets my azz going....lol...I refuse to be that woman EVER AGAIN
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have really - REALLY been struggling with this lately. I kinda fell off the wagon over the holidays, and it has been very hard for me to get back into the swing of things. I went back, and looked at my blog from when I was really successfull to see what I was doing then. I had kickstarted my weight loss by doing a 3 day detox. It cleans your body of all the toxins and flushes them out of your system. It also honestly flatlines all your cravings for the bad junk! I decided to give it a shot again - and by the second day - I was dying to go work out!!! I finished the detox yesterday, and finally get to work out today - and I literally can't wait. I just want the day to be over so I can get to the gym!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    First of all if you haven't written your goals down do that. If you do have your goals then review them to remind yourself what you're working towards. Then look at others success stories. MFP is good for that but so is instagram. There are so many people who have gone from fat to fab and so many who are just good examples of clean living. Surrounding yourself with positive people who are at the level you are trying to achieve is a great boost.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Check out this video....it might help motivate you (it does it for me)!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmurxfN-o9k

Wow, that's great. Thanks for sharing.
  • ctyler150
    ctyler150 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I'm lacking motivation and I have yesterday and today...I simply don't give myself a choice. I just do it. Both days i'm glad when its over. Just to get started I want to fight with myself excuses to start it. Start with one thing at a time. Try starting working out and gradually add the calorie count back. That way your not making yourself do both right away.
  • dietingdanni
    Options
    I get on this website and read some stories, comment on some posts and remind myself i am not the only one struggling and so may people have got through it, so i can too :D
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with getting into a groove at the gym. I haven't been enjoying the cardio workouts - treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, etc. Since I have no desire to do the workouts, I have no desire to make an effort to go to the gym.

What I needed to do was change things up. Discover what I enjoy, with regards to exercise. Since it is winter here in the northeast and I can't get out to play a round of golf or go hiking, I needed to find some indoor activities, which would keep my interest. I committed to three months of pilates and started working out in the pool. Again, these are things that I truly enjoy!! It doesn't feel like a workout, although, I am starting to burn major calories.

When I get into a pattern of eating unhealthy, I need to gradually reintroduce healthier options. Instead of ice cream - frozen yogurt. Instead of cake - a healthy version of banana bread. Making these little changes daily becomes a habit :) although, I have learned that during this journey sometimes I just need a 'break' and then have that red velvet cupcake or that piece of birthday cake. although, i've also started to recognize when I need to put down that fork, stop the unhealthy binge, and strive to be healthier. it is a daily choice that I need to make at the start of each day.

Hang in there!! it does get better!! and don't be so hard on yourself...this is a journey...not a quick fix to be healthier.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    You have to make the choice: do you want to change, or do you want to stay the same?

If you want to change, you have to put in work. Here are some ways to make it easier:

- Set out a workout outfit the night before so it's sitting there waiting for you.
    - Have your alarm clock on the opposite side of the room so you have to get up to turn it off. Getting out of bed is usually the hardest part!
    - Plan out your meals the day before or even for the whole week. Make sure you have all the ingredients you'll need, so you can avoid grabbing things on the go that aren't good for you.
    - Plan out your workouts in advance.
    - Reward yourself in little ways for doing a good job. Reward yourself with healthy things, like new workout outfits, shoes, or workout equipment.
    - Always have a large bottle of water on you so if you get a sudden craving, you can drink water instead.
  • jenniferlouisebarrow
    Options
    unfortunately I have the same problem. I lack a ton of motivation and I know that if I just did some exercise that I would gain more energy to keep me going! All I do is go work, sit at a desk, walk to the vending machine, eat chocolate or crisps, go home, sit on the sofa, go to bed. repeat!
    I hate how I'm so lathargic but I just can't get moving once I'm sat down! I need serious help...
  • lumpsypod
    Options
    I am in same boat somewhat. I have it in my head what I need to do, but it always seems that family,work etc is what I focus more of my energy and thoughts on for the day. I dont focus on myself!! :frown: