What would you do with this body?

Options
So nervous about doing this!!!

My aims are to get lean, lose an inch maybe of each thigh and my hips / butt and love handles. I want ab definition and a toned butt with less cellulite!!!!! I am day 5 into 30DS at the moment and wondered what exercises you would suggest to make sure these pics stay firmly in the "before" category!!

11iz7ls.jpg

302lzc5.jpg

Replies

• james3302
    Options
    I am not sure what 30 Day Shred consists of, but if you want to tone/firm your legs you can do squats.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'd ravish it. Wait, that's not what you meant is it?

Ok, I'd focus on lifting heavy, eating at maintenance and not bothering with cardio.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If I was a little younger and still single....
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Oh,and heavy lifting. Look up Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, or New Rules of Lifting for Women .
  • vickiwo55
    Options
    I did 30 Day SHred too and LOVED it!! Great workout for only 30 mins! I have similar body as you and I definately toned up doing 30DS...I saw a difference after only about 2 weeks!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Calculate TDEE.
    Lift a heavy compound routine 3x a week.
    On lift days eat 20% above TDEE.
    On rest days eat 10% below TDEE.

Weight loss will stop.
    Fat loss will continue.
    Lean mass gains will happen slowly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

PM me if you need help.

EDIT: Drop cardio completely since you no longer need it.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You asked the hardest to obtain. I have been after losing fat at the same time as gaining muscle my entire adult life- very difficult balance. Usually as we cut calories to lose fat, muscle goes too. I used my diet diary for feedback. I noticed when my carbs were above about 120 grams during cutting calories I was hungry and weaker. When I ate more fat in place of the carbs I was stronger and retained more muscle as I lost the fat. We are all different-keep good notes and look back at the diary to point you in the right direction. I wish I knew this years ago.

I suggest reading up on glycemic index. In general- eat higher glycemic foods (bananna) right before and during exercise, and lower glycemic carbs (apple) throughout the rest of the day- to avoid spiking insulin. When you spike insulin the excess sugar in the blood is turned to fat. I eat more carbs on cardio days. From your pictures, you are close to having your abs showing. Good luck.

I disagree with the drop cardio. Cardio good for many reasons- you can eat more, stamina, endorphins, sports, etc. Unless you want to just stand around and look good.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Calculate TDEE.

Weight loss will stop.
    Fat loss will continue.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

PM me if you need help.

I do exactly that
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Calculate TDEE.

Weight loss will stop.
    Fat loss will continue.

PM me if you need help.

I do exactly that

this - and build a program around deadlfts, squats, over head press, pulls up/chin up, rows, etc...

good luck
  • I'd ravish it. Wait, that's not what you meant is it?

Ok, I'd focus on lifting heavy, eating at maintenance and not bothering with cardio.

this made me chuckle
  • patentguru
    Options
    I am always open to new ideas. What do you guys mean by drop the cardio? Do you mean no biking, running, swimming, etc? What do you do besides lifting?
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I am always open to new ideas. What do you guys mean by drop the cardio? Do you mean no biking, running, swimming, etc? What do you do besides lifting?

If you're pretty lean like the OPer then building muscle whilst doing cardio is possibly counter-productive. Your muscle size may be diminished by doing too much cardio. Let the muscles and diet take care of the fat.

Of course, if you enjoy biking, running, swimming etc then it's a sacrifice you'll be willing to make. I enjoy tai chi which is definitely LISS cardio but I won't stop doing it.
  • kc285
    kc285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies... even the boys ;)

I'll still be doing cardio on some days as I enjoy it and have a couple of 10k runs coming up this summer, plus a 35mile bike ride in a month.

Will keep you all posted. Am going to try and stick to 30DS and incorporate some extra weight work a couple days a week. Jillian is b*tch for all her lunging and squats... guess its what I need though!!

If anyone can recommend any work out videos (pref ones I can find on youtube) that would be great.

Thank you
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I'll still be doing cardio on some days as I enjoy it and have a couple of 10k runs coming up this summer, plus a 35mile bike ride in a month.

Will keep you all posted. Am going to try and stick to 30DS and incorporate some extra weight work a couple days a week. Jillian is b*tch for all her lunging and squats... guess its what I need though!!

If anyone can recommend any work out videos (pref ones I can find on youtube) that would be great.

Thank you

Those big *kitten* runs/cycles are going to burn muscle like nobody's business. With that in mind, keep your protein levels up and do ****loads of weighted squats and lunges.
  • patentguru
    Options
    I just do not agree with the mentality that cardio wastes your muscles. I believe it depends on diet more.

For example, five years ago I started training for my first marathon. I was benching 275 easily at the start of training. I joined road runners and did their running program, which a lot of slow long distance runs throughout the week. I dropped weight from 190 to 165. After the marathon, I could still bench 245 easily. I believe the strength loss was more from the weight loss than the cardio. If you eat all carbs and no protein, you will look like a typical long distance runner- no upper body mass. However, I kept my protein high, 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight.

Thank you

Those big *kitten* runs/cycles are going to burn muscle like nobody's business. With that in mind, keep your protein levels up and do ****loads of weighted squats and lunges.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I just do not agree with the mentality that cardio wastes your muscles. I believe it depends on diet more.

For example, five years ago I started training for my first marathon. I was benching 275 easily at the start of training. I joined road runners and did their running program, which a lot of slow long distance runs throughout the week. I dropped weight from 190 to 165. After the marathon, I could still bench 245 easily. I believe the strength loss was more from the weight loss than the cardio. If you eat all carbs and no protein, you will look like a typical long distance runner- no upper body mass. However, I kept my protein high, 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight.

You're right - but it's tricky to get the balance right which is why it's easier to avoid cardio unless you enjoy it.
  • Brobious
    Options
    Bang
  • kc285
    kc285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, its so damn confusing!!! I cant imagine eating 20% more than what my apparent TDEE is, that puts me at 700 - 1000 cal more than I would chose to eat in a day!!! I know I need to up my protein though if I want to see results.

I know its asking a lot but I am more after Victoria's secret body (we can dream right?) than that of muscle bulk.

On the days I am lifting should I be doing full body or target specific areas? I am so weak the idea of lifting something heavy fills me with dread.
  • patentguru
    Options
    Whatever you like. I do a three day split. Monday is chest, back and shoulders, Wed. legs, and Thursday biceps, triceps and heavy abs. Cardio and abs throughout the week. My favorite cardio is running.

Once you do the lifting right (form and nutrition) you will become addicted because the feedback is quick in strength gains and the mirror. For me, I found lifting in the morning is best- I get up drink coffee, head to the gym and on the way in door I stuff a banana in a my mouth. I do not eat carbs more than a few minutes before lifting to avoid spiking insulin. I drink my minimum 8 glasses of water between lifts. Once you get into a routine you won't want to miss it. The more you learn about form, nutrition, etc. the better and faster the results. Good luck.
    Thanks all, its so damn confusing!!! I cant imagine eating 20% more than what my apparent TDEE is, that puts me at 700 - 1000 cal more than I would chose to eat in a day!!! I know I need to up my protein though if I want to see results.

I know its asking a lot but I am more after Victoria's secret body (we can dream right?) than that of muscle bulk.

On the days I am lifting should I be doing full body or target specific areas? I am so weak the idea of lifting something heavy fills me with dread.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Good luck, OP! Your body is rockin!! I have no doubt you'll be able to reach your goal of a VS model body. When I get to where you are , I will be looking back to these suggestions for myself !!