To eat more or to eat less? Confused

2»

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I really don't think you're eating too much. I think your body needs time to adjust from months of eating 1000 calories and running on nothing.
  • jhul322
    jhul322 Posts: 25 Member
    I'm not criticizing, but for starters, you need to pick the entries that reflect the actual calorie count of what you're eating. For example, there is no way on earth that 13 ounces of potatoes have only 55 calories. A 4 oz baked potato has 100 calories, so for 13 oz you have about 330 calories. Your stats are off by 275 calories right there. Same with the chicken thighs- 4 oz should have about 200 calories. These small errors add up, trust me I've been there. Also, as others have said, a food scale is essential. You would not believe how much you over-portion yourself by eyeballing. Measure and weigh your food consistently for a month and make sure you pick proper entries to track, and I bet you will see big results as much as you work out.
    Wow I guess it does take someone else looking at it. I do not eat 13 oz of potatoes haha. That's crazy never realized that. But yes I will be buying a scale today thank you.
  • jhul322
    How are you measuring your calories burned by exercise? It's possible that you're overestimating.
    HRM with a strap, A polar ft4. And it is pretty consistent with the length of my workout and my HR.
  • jhul322
    You say you track cals on the days you work, because that's when you have the worst habits.

What about the days you don't work? Just because you have better habits doesn't mean you are eating the correct amount.

Eye balling foods is VERY risky when it comes to portion control and calorie goals.

If you are gaining, 99% sure you are eating too much. Some of it could be water retention based on workouts/foods eaten, but if you are gaining steadily for a fairly long stretch of time (which it sounds like you are doing), you're probably eating too much.

On my 3 days off spread out through the week it is generally just salad and fruit. Roomate works at Nooks (salad place) and normally just get a very basic salad with some chicken or cook up some talapia with it. And I can eat that twice a day with a protein shake in between and some eggs for breakfast. Main reason I don't track on those days is because I'm not near a computer as I try to go be active outside.

So the bottom line is that you have no idea how many cals you are eating. On off days you don't log, and on "on" days you don't measure, only eyeball portion sizes.

I stick with my original assessment... you're eating too much.

Will just start using a scale to see actually how much I eat and then see how it is.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Something no one has mentioned... You don't log your water intake. I didn't check your sodium consumption, but not drinking enough water can keep you from losing weight too. I agree with the other posters about eating too much, but you definitely need to check your water intake as well. I know that for me if I don't drink enough, the weight loss stalls. Just my two cents :)
  • jhul322
    Something no one has mentioned... You don't log your water intake. I didn't check your sodium consumption, but not drinking enough water can keep you from losing weight too. I agree with the other posters about eating too much, but you definitely need to check your water intake as well. I know that for me if I don't drink enough, the weight loss stalls. Just my two cents :)
    That's the only thing I can drink at work, I have a giant 32 oz jug that I fill up 2-3 times a day mostly more.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    You say you track cals on the days you work, because that's when you have the worst habits.

What about the days you don't work? Just because you have better habits doesn't mean you are eating the correct amount.

Eye balling foods is VERY risky when it comes to portion control and calorie goals.

If you are gaining, 99% sure you are eating too much. Some of it could be water retention based on workouts/foods eaten, but if you are gaining steadily for a fairly long stretch of time (which it sounds like you are doing), you're probably eating too much.

On my 3 days off spread out through the week it is generally just salad and fruit. Roomate works at Nooks (salad place) and normally just get a very basic salad with some chicken or cook up some talapia with it. And I can eat that twice a day with a protein shake in between and some eggs for breakfast. Main reason I don't track on those days is because I'm not near a computer as I try to go be active outside.

So the bottom line is that you have no idea how many cals you are eating. On off days you don't log, and on "on" days you don't measure, only eyeball portion sizes.

I stick with my original assessment... you're eating too much.

Will just start using a scale to see actually how much I eat and then see how it is.

Yep, the scale is incredibly helpful. Even on protein powder the scoops totally lie.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you are on the computer itself, pick the entry that DOES NOT have an asterisk by it. If you are on a mobile device using the app, then my personal rule of thumb is to pick the entry that has potassium actually tracked, in general it is the more accurate entry. Also, I sometimes use www.nutritiondata.self.com or the USDA site to match numbers to pick the correct entry.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Yep, the scale is incredibly helpful. Even on protein powder the scoops totally lie.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you are on the computer itself, pick the entry that DOES NOT have an asterisk by it. If you are on a mobile device using the app, then my personal rule of thumb is to pick the entry that has potassium actually tracked, in general it is the more accurate entry. Also, I sometimes use www.nutritiondata.self.com or the USDA site to match numbers to pick the correct entry.

I choose those entries as well but mostly log on my phone. The nutritiondata.self.com is the same entry the is MFP's data entry. IF I am on my phone, I search the item on nutritiondata.self.com, then search with their name. You will find that same entry on MFP.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    That's the only thing I can drink at work, I have a giant 32 oz jug that I fill up 2-3 times a day mostly more.

I do the same thing :) I was just wondering, because it is important.