RunKeeper vs Endomondo

Options
Who has used them and which do you like better or is more accurate for distance/pace? I just got my first smart phone this past weekend and would like to use one of these apps to "accurately" track my distance and pace while outside running. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I love run keeper. I havent used the other one. Run keeper is really acurate if you arent in a deep valley hiking where you have low signal. However, I used it to measure the 1.5 mile route we ran at my old base and it was accurate to the track. I like how it tells me my speed durring the run so I can adapt if I ened to start going faster.
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thank you for that reply. i really wanted something to measure speed without having to pay for the expensive gps watches. on a treadmill i can run an entire 5k distance very quickly but have a hard time judging my speed while outside to maintain the entire run :)
  • wag1129
    wag1129 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use endomondo and really like it. I have taken the same route in my truck and it always seems to be accurate. Plus, it usually says I'm walking a 15 - 16 minute mile, which would be close to 4mph. I'm not sure of the accuracy of the calories, but I trust it. But I also just use it as a general guide. If I'm burning more, that's great, if I'm burning less, I'm still no where near my calorie intake and burning more than sitting on the couch!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Another one to consider that I like is Runtastic. It syncs with mfp, like Endomondo does.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I like Runkeeper because it has a lot of features the others charge for, and it's completely free.
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the Nike+ Running app? I have the watch it's awesome.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Love Runkeeper. Seems accurate. Only once has it ever flipped out on me & gave me an extra half mile for some reason. It also gives calories burned which usually match cllsento MFP.. again as a guide. I like that it also shows you your splits & maps your route so you can see it visually as well.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like Endomondo better. Runkeeper takes a really long time to initialize, and I don't feel like standing around for 5-10 minutes waiting for it. I also love how Endomondo syncs with MFP. For the activities I'm doing (mostly walking and biking) it seems to give me similar results.
  • JonDixonYT
    JonDixonYT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new here but I've been using Endomondo for about 8 months. I like it, it has a bunch of activities in it that you can also track and it syncs up with MFB. I used it to track dog walks as well as mountain bike rides, hockey games, squash, all sorts of things. I suppose you can do all of that with MFB as well (and possibly RunKeeper, I've never used it.)

I can tell you that I like Endomondo though, I will continue to use it.
  • Zodwa1984
    Options
    I use Runkeeper. I have Endomondo installed as well but for android I prefer Runkeeper. The trick is to chose one and stick with it. all the best
  • LindaLou252
    Options
    I like Runkeeper because it has a lot of features the others charge for, and it's completely free.

^^This^^ I've tried the others, and I just like Runkeeper better. I have a HRM, so I don't need an app that syncs to MFP. A HRM is much more accurate for calorie burn.
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your comments. i have installed both RunKeeper and Endomondo apps and will probably try both a time or 2 on our local running trail to see which i prefer but i wanted others advice also. and as for that Nike + Running app...i have heard you have to buy the special shoes with the chip in them for that to work. is that the case?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Let me complicate the decision even more: I used MapMyFitness+ for over a year and really liked it. That said, I've been using endomondo since my return to running a few weeks ago...and really like it too. (Endomondo was linked to some "fitness reward" site and MMF+ wasn't, which is what prompted me to try it.)

Good luck. Ultimately, any of these apps will do just fine.
  • shanehd
    shanehd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like the runkeeper app. have not tried the other one but find run keeper to be very accurate and also like the map feature for when i'm running in an unfamiliar area so i can find my way back the the start. lol.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Endomondo 4 life!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ETA: Endomondo *still* doesn't allow you to edit a workout. Runkeeper does. (Necessary in case you get a few GPS glitches, or like what happened to me today, you forget to "unpause" recording after a bathroom break.)
  • jeffdoc
    jeffdoc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Endomondo actually lets you edit your workouts on their website after you upload the data after your workout. I've been using Endomondo for a few years and I love it! I won't use anything else because Endomondo is simple to use, accurate and it just plain works! :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I've used Endomondo for more than a year now. It is not always accurate, it has glitches now and then, but I'd imagine all apps have that issue now and then.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper for me. I have tried both. Both work well. I just like the mapping that I get with Runkeeper better and I can also access my records from my computer.
  • rubypond
    rubypond Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've always used Map My Fitness and I like it.