Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Nibbling while cooking

Here's the deal: I HATE cooking. I do it because it's cheaper and healthier than eating out. TO get it out of the way, I cook my lunches and dinners for the week on sundays. This way I don't have to cut my workout short to get home in enough time to make my lunch before going to bed, and I don't have to snack and binge as my way of procrastinating and putting off this miserable task, where I obssess over calorie and macro content of the food I prepare.

It has relieved a great deal of stress fo rme but I end up eating the food while preparing it. SO i go to the fridge to snack on somethign else instead. Still, since it's normally late at night and I'd like to cut down on night-time eating, can someone give me some tips on how to not nibble/graze while cooking?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I stopped nibbling while cooking when I made the commitment to log everything. I couldn't be bothered working out exactly how much I'd "nibbled", so just stopped. Anything I do grab, I weigh and log. Sometimes I'll chop up a carrot and munch on that.

Before I joined MFP, chewing gum while cooking helped.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    I use to do that.... Now I either log it or don't do it. Gum does help. Even water .... But I sing instead lol
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I nibble here and there while I cook AFTER I weigh it. So, like, if I'm putting 3 oz of carrots into my lunch for tomorrow, I can pop a couple slices into my mouth, since I already will be logging the full 3 oz.
  • mbrdn
    mbrdn Posts: 1
    I did the same thing but read somewhere that it helps to pop in a piece of gum while you cook! It works for me as I hate mixing the mint flavor of my gum with anything else!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Maybe chew gum while you're cooking? I like the idea of carrots, maybe portion out some carrots or other veggies and include them in your meal.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    I literally chug water or sing and dance while I cook... I get to burn more calories while getting into an awesome groove PLUS I get my water in lol
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    This is a great topic for me since I am a nibbler as I cook but it is the veggies that I nibble on. I figured it was a veggie not a something sweet but still want to stop. Maybe I will make some mint water and keep it by my side as I cook. :wink:
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    I like the idea of chewing gum, too. Suck on a peppermint--the flavor causes the cravings to subside and the strong smell offsets the smell of the cooking food!
  • definitely gum! I started it because I read it keeps your eyes from tearing up while chopping onions (totally works btw!), so it just turned into habit.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I nibble when I cook food just for me.

But I measure absolutely everything, so it's all the same whether it hits my plate or goes from pan to mouth.

When I cook for the family, I try very hard to not nibble.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I nibble here and there while I cook AFTER I weigh it. So, like, if I'm putting 3 oz of carrots into my lunch for tomorrow, I can pop a couple slices into my mouth, since I already will be logging the full 3 oz.
    Oh yeah - I still do that kind of nibbling!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    I do chew gum, and sip tea as well. But I just take the gum out of my mouth when I want to try the delicious food! Unfortunately, it's never just "one bite".

I think I will set aside some carrots (or celery) while I cook. That is a brilliant idea!