How do thin people eat?

2»

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Skipping meals and skipping breakfast are bs. I skip breakfast and lunch and I'm underweight.

^ this, and all the thin people i know have no idea how much they weigh and 90% don't exercise.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Eat less, move more.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Eat less, move more.

this...

I'm 45, a size 6, under 135 pounds... I workout when I can and eat less than I used to.
  • No, it's not a good article. I'm afraid It's not written to help anyone, it's written to generate clicks and sell ad space, no more, no less!
    Especially the points about breakfast and meal skipping are just wrong and I cannot grasp how spreading those myths still happens.

edit: on that note, I'm glad you just copied it instead of linking to it! Ha! No ad money from this crowd.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    I don't know. I eat breakfast, and frequently throughout the day. I don't think about food all the time, when I'm hungry I eat. Often I'm engaged in something and I forget to eat until I'm hungry. I just don't think about food that often. I've never dieted for weight loss so my metabolism should be okay. If you're not already a thin person naturally you probably won't understand. I do however , eat quite a bit. 6 months of steady logging showed that I maintained 97 pounds at 1970 calories, completely sedentary. I ate 2500+ and gained a pound per month. When I say sedentary I mean it. I'm in bed half the day reading books.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    I agree with most of this! And people who disagree, well everyone is different! I thought the majority of people who were really thin just had fast metabolisms! :tongue:
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    This isn't always true. Both of my brothers have always been skinny and they skip meals and eat pretty much junk all the time. They don't exercise. I've never seen either of them drink anything but soda. And my oldest brother will eat 2 or 3 burgers and fries or chips at 1 meal.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I agree with most of this! And people who disagree, well everyone is different! I thought the majority of people who were really thin just had fast metabolisms! :tongue:

Somebody posted link to a BBC show that included a segment with a skinny friend and a chubby friend. The chubby one had the higher metabolism. However, as the article posted here noted, that is *resting* metabolism. If the thin people are just plain moving more, they will burn more calories in normal activities. I have wondered how much of the the post 30/ post 40 weight gain is attributable to this: those are the ages where a lot of people get professional jobs or promotions and might need to control jittery hands and feet, sit more for meetings, the kids are older, so it doesn't take as much energy to keep track of them...I would like to see a long term study that tracked measured RMR in individuals over the years.

Often thin people report eating all the time, while chubby folks report that they hardly eat anything. Usually what is happening is that the thin ones are aware of what they are eating, while the overweight ones munch mindlessly.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    ITs one of the two:

genetics

OR

they are active...... often!!!!!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member

Somebody posted link to a BBC show that included a segment with a skinny friend and a chubby friend. The chubby one had the higher metabolism. However, as the article posted here noted, that is *resting* metabolism. If the thin people are just plain moving more, they will burn more calories in normal activities. I have wondered how much of the the post 30/ post 40 weight gain is attributable to this: those are the ages where a lot of people get professional jobs or promotions and might need to control jittery hands and feet, sit more for meetings, the kids are older, so it doesn't take as much energy to keep track of them...I would like to see a long term study that tracked measured RMR in individuals over the years.

Often thin people report eating all the time, while chubby folks report that they hardly eat anything. Usually what is happening is that the thin ones are aware of what they are eating, while the overweight ones munch mindlessly.

I agree with you that our weight is often times tied to our jobs. I'm a nurse. The floor nurses burn all the calories and the ones behind the desks pile it on. I've also worked in other settings where the "runners" are the thinner ones. I also agree that we're not chasing kids around any longer. AND yes to thinner and heavier people reporting their intakes inaccurately.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I have noticed that my naturally thin friend does leave a lot more food on the plate than I will. If I buy an ice cream cone, I'm eating it to the last bite. My thin friend will get bored with it and toss it in the trash about halfway through. She doesn't know anything about calorie counts/calorie burns, though. I might mention that I can't eat "whatever" because it's about 600 calories per serving, but it doesn't matter where she is concerned because she'd probably only eat 1/3 to 1/2 of it anyway. Her brain says "I'm finished," and my brain says "eat all the foods!"
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    I have noticed that my naturally thin friend does leave a lot more food on the plate than I will. If I buy an ice cream cone, I'm eating it to the last bite. My thin friend will get bored with it and toss it in the trash about halfway through. She doesn't know anything about calorie counts/calorie burns, though. I might mention that I can't eat "whatever" because it's about 600 calories per serving, but it doesn't matter where she is concerned because she'd probably only eat 1/3 to 1/2 of it anyway. Her brain says "I'm finished," and my brain says "eat all the foods!"

I think I might gain weight hanging around her if you know what I mean! LOL!