Deciding to try the TDEE minus 20% thing.

Options
I don't always (in fact, hardly ever) work out first thing in the morning. It's usually mid afternoon, and sometimes after dinner. Using the MFP generated calorie goal, and then trying to eat back some of my exercise calories, left me with a lot of calories to stuff in at the end of the day. Sometimes I didn't bother, and after a few days of that I'd get run down and sluggish. Sometimes I'd eat anything to get the calories in, and wake up puffy.

So in the interest of a more balanced day, I've decided to try the TDEE thing. I used several BMR calculators, and took the lowest one, then shaved a few calories off of that, because I believe my BMR is lower than average*. I used the moderate activity because I lift three days a week with a mile and a half cool down walk, and do cardio three days a week, usually 5k, sometimes intervals. The other day there will at least be a walk.

My calculations gave me a 1900 cal a day goal. I gotta say, that looks like a LOT of calories.

*I think my BMR is lower than average because even before I started any cardio exercise, my resting hear rate was often in the 50s, and my b/p about 110/60, and when I would scuba dive, dive masters would think my gauge was broken because I used much less air than average for the length of dive.

ETA: I guess I'm posting this for reassurance that 1900 calories/day isn't way too much for a 5'9" 192lb woman.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    TDEE method has been working great for me. And I would say your numbers are correct - I'm an inch shorter than you and have been losing on 1800+ a day.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's working for me. I used this method most recently to calculate everything:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Have gone from 225 on Jan 1 to around 216 now, with estimated 5% body fat loss, and 5 inches lost.

Through TDEE, and trying to get ~10,000 steps a day alone.

Set for somewhere between light and moderately active calories.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and eating 1750 and losing!!!! :bigsmile:
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb, did you lose immediately on the TDEE minus 20% plan? I was eating 1400 calories daily and eating back exercise calories and losing 1 pound per week. I ran into the same problem mentioned above and switched to TDEE - 20%, which is 1780 per day. I have not lost since then - it has been 3 weeks. I am waiting one more week and then retaking measurements before I switch back. I'm okay with losing inches but it is so nice to see the scale drop :-).

I am 5'6", 150 (down from 158). I do spin twice a week, TRX class for 45 minutes twice a week, run 2 miles twice a week (training for a 5K) and lift weights for upper body twice a week to meet my NSV of doing a pull up this year. As an adult, the least I've ever weighed is 140 - my body is pretty happy there. Thanks for any input you might have!
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and eating 1750 and losing!!!! :bigsmile:

I need to try this (5'2" as well). I've been stuck in a plateau for 6 months now. I will try just about anything to break out of it.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i'm really struggling to lose at the moment and may try this, if my TDEE is 2200 as calcualted then that minus the 20% is about 1760, but is this my total calories in or my net calories after eating back exercise?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you were. With the MFP method I was having a hard time eating back exercise calories. The MFP method complicates it too much I think. I prefer to have a set amount and eat to that and be good. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust. I went up a pound or two, that is normal. I just want you to be aware of it so you aren't posting another thread freaking out about it hehe.

I love the TDEE method. I know a lot of people have success with the way MFP sets it up, but when you have to shift the times you work out like we do, it often times isn't practical and you end up with 600 calories left at the end of the day. I am eating about 1700 calories a day and I am 5'3", 157lbs. It might seem like a lot at first, but remember you don't eat back exercise calories. And it is good to look at it from the stand point you were before. Doing the 1200 calorie thing, then burning 500 calories....you were eating 1700. So you are only eating 200 more than you were prior.

Just remember to recalculate at every 5lbs lost....good luck! :smile: :wink: :smile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb, did you lose immediately on the TDEE minus 20% plan? I was eating 1400 calories daily and eating back exercise calories and losing 1 pound per week. I ran into the same problem mentioned above and switched to TDEE - 20%, which is 1780 per day. I have not lost since then - it has been 3 weeks. I am waiting one more week and then retaking measurements before I switch back. I'm okay with losing inches but it is so nice to see the scale drop :-).

I am 5'6", 150 (down from 158). I do spin twice a week, TRX class for 45 minutes twice a week, run 2 miles twice a week (training for a 5K) and lift weights for upper body twice a week to meet my NSV of doing a pull up this year. As an adult, the least I've ever weighed is 140 - my body is pretty happy there. Thanks for any input you might have!

It took 3 weeks for my body to adjust to this method. But my body has finally caught on to what we are doing here and I lost about 1.5 pounds this past week. It is normal to gain a pound or two or stall for the first few weeks. I don't know what your goal is, but the closer you get to goal the less you take away. So you -might- be in the -15% range...I would go ask Dan if in another week you aren't seeing results. I am sure he will help you.

One other thing, did you start any of your work out routines when you started TDEE? If so that might be why you aren't losing. I started a new weight lifting routine when I started doing TDEE and it caused me to retain a lot of water for a bout 2 weeks.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I don't remember if I started losing right away. I will say that I went for about six months without losing a pound, but during that time I lost fat and inches and dropped a pants size. Definitely take measurements and photos with this method. I've been eating this way for nearly a year, with steady progress.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll make sure to give it a few weeks before I panic.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One other thing, did you start any of your work out routines when you started TDEE? If so that might be why you aren't losing. I started a new weight lifting routine when I started doing TDEE and it caused me to retain a lot of water for a bout 2 weeks

Thank you for answering! No, I have been working out for about 2 years, gradually increasing what I can do. This January I decided to try and get my eating in line to see better changes in my body.