Odd childhood obsessions...

2»

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Books and matchbox cars. I read so much that I know a whole lot about nothing, but it HAS paid off in that someone will say, "I wonder about blah blah blah" and I can give them a straight up answer of something I read YEARS ago.

I keep matchbox cars in my office for "if my kids come by my office." Yeah. Really, they are here for me. :D
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Challenger.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Books. I would go to my friends' houses to play and they would get mad because I wouldn't play with them, I would just read their books. My siblings had friends who didn't believe I existed because I was always at the library. I was obsessed.

Also, running away. Any time I went anywhere, I scoping the area out for places I could hide if I ran away.

At sleepovers, I'd wait until everyone fell asleep and then read their parents' books (and...some people had books that were really inappropriate!).

We lived out in the country, so running away just never looked doable...otherwise I would have been delighted to get away from my bothers!*

*I always make this typo...I've begun to think it's a Freudian slip of sorts.
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    :smile: Books. I was determined to read every one I could get my hands on. I would lock myself in my room for hours. I spent an unthinkable amount of time in the library. I even chose "library assistant" as my elective in junior high. I always asked for books for Christmas, my birthday... my grandparents paid me my allowance in books. Obsessed really doesn't even cover it.

Glad I'm not the only one!!!
  • BOOKS!!!

I was in the Babysitter's Book Club and would get 3 books every month and have all three read within the hour of getting them. I still to this day will not read a series until I have all the books so I can read them back to back. I use to get in trouble for reading too much or reading my personal books in class that when I started failing because of it, my grandparents took all of my books away. I had the 2nd highest AR points in my entire school.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Challenger.
    This pleases me. SOmething as weird as Mt. St. Helens.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Neurosurgery. I had books, videos, and everything I could find on the net bookmarked.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Downloading age-inappropriate stuff off FidoNet @ 300 baud? :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Seashells, mummies (checked out every library book on them) and Star Wars, before the remade versions came out and got trendy again.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Hello Kitty and Pound Puppies. My dad threw away my favorite pound puppy sheet when I was in my early teens but a friend sent me one he found on eBay about 5 years ago. I still have it and I'm still o ceased with hello kitty.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Mr. T and the A-team... I had the van, and all the action figures - this past weekend actually my mom pulled out my Mr. T action figure. I never missed an episode and if we were out and about my mom Taped them... It started as a baby I would sit and watch them with my aunt, it was the only time they could get me to shut up - put the theme on and bam no more crying baby.

Pez dispensers.... still have that obsession though.
  • Sweets. Once when I was about 4 or 5 I diverted my Sunday school 25 cents and bought penny candy with it. I had been doing it for awhile before I got caught by the older sisters.

I vaguely recall them cornering me in the church courtyard and yelling at me about it all while I'm standing there munching on the candy. It was a Mary Jane I remember.

I ate a Mary Jane a few years ago for the first time and it was as good as I remember it. So I bought a whole bag and ate them. My inner child was screaming 'yeah' no one to tell me I can't eat these.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Billy Ray Cyrus.
    yes, true story folks.