Why do I even bother?

Options
13»

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    So much truth....Dav,firstsip,Lea,Concrete, and Coder, etc. pretty much nailed it...so i'm just gonna post this for inspiration...it gets me through the hard times:
    tumblr_lpazthHoLt1qa4ihzo1_500.gif
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You should realize that anything worth having is worth working hard for.....alllllllll the way until you get there. And then you start working toward the next thing and the next thing and the next thing.

I'm not sure what your goals are, whether it is to improve your body, improve your health, take on an event or just weigh less... but....

You can't start working toward something and a month into it say, 'well this is harder than I thought, so I'm probably going to give up.'

You can't aim for a goal haphazardly without a plan and without knowledge and comprehension of what it will take and expect yourself to make consistent progress, much less reach where you are aiming.

You could save yourself some pain, agony and frustration and learn the best way to go about reaching your goals - THEN settle in with the idea that it is going to take a year. Yes a YEAR - if it takes less- awesome! If it takes more - well, you're YOU - you can totally handle it.

If you are doing the correct workouts to reach your goal, and eating within the proper nutrition and calorie window to be able to handle those workouts and your everyday life, and you still see no changes in measurements, body fat or weight after 3-5 months - THEN you have a real plateau and then you can worry about increasing your intensity or shifting some things around to blow past it.

But this is not a plateau - it is a failure to launch correctly, - which is the easiest thing to fix of all the problems you could have stumbled upon.

Learn.
    Work hard.
    Be patient.
    Keep going....
    Don't stop unless it is for your victory dance.

Decide today that it is going to take a hell of a lot to stop you. You're no weak pushover and today is the day you're going to start proving it to the world.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Calculate your maintenance calories. Be realistic about your activity level.

Eat that for six weeks and report back.
  • stryke3
    stryke3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You've been stuck for a whole month and you want to give up?

....Seriously? I was stuck for 2 YEARS, and I never quit.

Weight loss isn't a race. It isn't linear. It doesn't always make sense, and it's not easy.
  • xxtaliaxx
    Options
    Well, thanks for slapping some sense into me guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and keep close to how many calories my body needs to function for a few weeks and hope that I see some improvement in how I feel overall and my weight. It's a little harder since being the military you have to be a certain weight or you fail and that doesn't look good so I don't have all the time in the world to lose weight. Although I am close to my maximum weight, I'd like to be under it so I don't have to be taped. I am going to read the articles you guys supplied me. Thanks again :happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Lolz - didn't see this when I posted the same thing...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Relax. You don't have to suffer to reach your goals.
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So you upped your calories and then burned EXTRA at the gym than what you've been doing? That kind of kills the point of upping your calories, no?

I will be honest....a month of no budge is not a plateau. You can lose weight without exercise. It would be a bit more helpful if your diary was open.

But quitting is not an option. That's the weak way out. Don't do it...no bulge ever disappeared from quitting!

Well Said.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Stay off the scale for awhile, take your measurements, and eat more whole food. If you are burning as much as you say you are, you are not eating enough.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You've been stuck for a whole month and you want to give up?

....Seriously? I was stuck for 2 YEARS, and I never quit.

Weight loss isn't a race. It isn't linear. It doesn't always make sense, and it's not easy.

*jaw drop* And here I was starting to get a little growly because I've only lost a pound in the last three weeks.....attitude adjusted! Wow!
  • pinkcloudrising
    Options
    It be-s that way sometimes. You just don't know what life has in store for you so you have to just hang in there. You get a bad hand sometimes but at least you're still in the game. I hope you hang in there so you can be an inspiration for me.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    dont just hang around anywhere.

dont just wait for life to happen to you.

you go happen to life.

seriously.