Calorie question

Options
Hi I am a 5' 10" Mail 248 lbs. (started at 269) MFP tells me I am supposed to heat 1,500 calories per day. According to a BMR calculator I was told I should have 3,000 calories a day. So I am confused. I have been loosing weight but eating about 1,800 per day.

I also earn calories based on my fitbit exercising so it ads to mfp.

So I guess I am trying to figure out if I am eating too little or just right?

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically puts you at a deficit.

So if you set it at 1500 and work out for 300, at the end of the day you eat 1800, that would still be a -1200. So that's a pretty huge deficit. You will lose weight.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you got your BMR calculation from but it doesn't sound correct.

It may be your TDEE calculation.

Search for In Place of a Roadmap and give that a shot. Tons of great informatino on there. You don't want to eat too little. I am shorter than you, female and weight less than you and I lose weight on 1600 plus exercise calories.

I am unsure of your age but it appears your BMR is around 2100. Look at a few sites to find your bMR and net that amount daily.

1500 for a male is far too little to eat.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    yeh i would start closer to 3k then work your way down.. if you start at the bottom you wil stall out much quicker and not lose as much weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    With MFP you plug in the number of pounds you "want" to lose each week & MFP gives you the number that corresponds with that weight loss*

*There is a minimum threshold MFP will stick to, no matter how many pounds you "plug" in

If you are happy with your rate of losing on 1800 calories .....stick with it. Slower is better (IMO) .... less likely to lose muscle mass ... weight lost will more likely stay off