Extra skin??

Options
For those that have lost 100 plus pounds, and did it through diet and exercise, is extra skin a big issue. I'm concerned that after all the weight loss there will be extra skin even with a lot of exercise. Any input? :ohwell:

Replies

• AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    well, i havent lost 100 pounds but i was almost 200 pounds when i had my daughter almost 6 years ago..... i'm now 143 and i can say that i have extra skin from that. i have a friend of mine that lost a HUGE amount of weight through diet and exercise and she had extra skin...i think it really may depend on the person.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that if you lose more than 80 pounds and *don't* have loose skin, consider it a miracle.

That being said, I've lost 64 pounds and loose skin is not and issue for me at this point. But, even if it was (and I'm sure it will be because I'm looking to lose 40-50 more pounds at least), I'd so mauch rather have loose skin & feel fantastic than gobs of extra fat & feel like I did before!!

Edit to add: I agree with the person above me, it definitely depends on the person. A lot of it is genetic. I'm also applying lots of lotion on the parts of my body I think may give me a problem (tummy, inner thighs & upper arms). I figure even if it doesn't really help much, it's not hurting anything to do that. My understanding is that hydration is also important for skin health but I already drink quite a bit of water because I feel better when I do. And, that it takes time for your skin to snap back, so there's that too. So far, I'd say that my skin looks better than I thought it would at this point. And that it looks better than some folks I've seen who have lost comparable amounts of weight. I think I may be one of the luckier ones as far as skin is concerned but I *know* that I will have loose skin at my goal weight. I think it's kind of unavoidable since I've been overweight my entire life.
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    HI,

I've lost 82 lbs so a fair chunk of weight in a fairly short period of time (1 yr) so yes, I have skin that is over stretched and hasn't had the time to go back to more normal. I cannot say at this point if this will go back to normal, but I'm expecting that part of it should as I maintain the weight loss.
  • eeyore81
    eeyore81 Posts: 13
    Options
    I've asked this question many times and always get the same answer. The slower you lose it the less loose skin you'll have, because it'll have more time to go back into shape. It also depends on how long the skin has been stretched out. The longer it's been stretched out the less likely it will be to bounce back.