Scales are Dumb

Options
I know, that's a pretty trite little title, but bear with me for a second. Scales are dumb. Why? Well, because I say so. This is coming from a 28 year old and I'm aware it sounds like a 6 year old saying "Tommy" is dumb because he won't play with her at recess. I say my scale is dumb because it obviously does not recognize the amount of effort I am putting in to make the little number on its bright blue display change.

I currently weigh in once a week, and even for the last two months, once a week is no change at all. Here's the kicker. I'm wondering if I'm not gaining close to the same amount of muscle as fat that I'm losing. I've only been working out since December 7, 2012, and only 2-4 days a week for that matter, but I'd think I'd see SOME sort of progress. I have tracked all my food (even my sugar free creamer , as it contains calories) and am staying within my recommended 1420/day (even on workout days), and am eating 15-30g of protein a day as supplement bars etc. to make sure I'm getting enough of that. Bad diet includes hardly any veggies or fruit, mostly meat and carbs.

I know the weight has gradually gone up (strength training), from 7 pounds to 10 pounds for my arms (bicep curl, tricep press, shoulder press) and from 110 to 130 lbs for hip adductor/abductor and 90 to 110 leg press, but I'm not noticing my body looking any different, nor is the scale moving.

Can I get any thoughts or constructive criticism? I'll take whatever I can get at this point :) And yes, I know I need to eat more veggies and fruit, I'm working on a plan towards getting them in during the day while I'm at work. That way I don't notice them as much.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    The average female eating at a surplus and on a good hypertrophy program can put on about half a pound of muscle a month so it's probably not muscle. Your diary is closed so I can't give you any advice about your diet. The only thing I can tell you is that you're either burning less than you think you are (BMR + exercise + daily activities) or you're eating more than you think you are (inaccuracies in logging).
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    have you been taking pictures or measurements? I find that at times, my scale doesn't change but I've lost inches that I may not have noticed had I not been documenting them.

Also, as is stated previously, are you sure you're eating ENOUGH? sounds counterproductive, but I'm eating at -20% from my TDEE and I'm losing on a regular basis when I'm on track. Check out scoobys calculator, it's the most comprehensive tool I've found
  • jacquegrant
    Options
    I wish I could encourage you, except to say you are not alone. I am feeling the same way as you. The only difference is I am 42 and am staying under a 1360 calorie mark since Jan. 1, 2013. Like you, I track EVERY calorie I eat. That darn scale just is moving too slow for my liking. And worse yet, today it was up by 2 pounds. But, I honestly knew better than to get on it for a few days since my monthly cycle is only a few days away. I just couldn't resist and stepped on it and bummed myself out for the rest of the day.

I will say though stick with it!! Don't give up! Eventually your body will react to your efforts and start to drop weight. I know there are probably thousands of people just like us who hate that "stupid" scale. You are doing a good thing for your body and the more you work out and the better you eat, the more your body will reward you. I feel your pain and thank you for your post as you encouraged me that I am also not alone.
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow, my brain almost exploded from figuring out how to open my diary! It's open now so ya'll can see what I eat, although it's not complete, I'm trying to get better about logging daily.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ive looked back on the past week on your diary you need to cut the processed food especially the KFC. Have a decent breakfast too

Small changes and log EVERYTHING be accountable.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    EAT! 1400 is really low with your workouts. Jacque, the same goes for you. I am your age and I net around 1300.

You might also want to add in some cardio for awhile to shake things up.

Eating more is part of trusting the process, just like sticking with it without visible results is part of trusting the process. After two months, what you are doing isn't working for you - try something else, without going fad. If you are currently set to a deficit of 1000, eating 500 calories more a day will still leave you at a deficit; no one is suggesting that you eat above maintenance!
  • colorslide
    colorslide Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to eat more and stay away from fast foods and processed foods. You'll most likely see a huge difference when you do this. I also recommend switching up your macronutrients like your carbs, fats, and proteins. Try eating your lean body mass in grams of protein. Also, I would say focus more on measurements and body fat percentage. When we look at scales we see the total number for EVERYTHING. Meaning fat (of course) but also muscle, bones, organs, water, etc. Don't pay so much attention to the numbers on the scale because your weight is going to fluctuate daily. So don't weigh yourself everyday. Do it at the most once a week. It'll save you a lot of frustration.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Less fast food, more protein and fiber. More calories probably wouldn't hurt either. Try incorporating things like edamame, chicken breast, whole grain breads, brown rice, old fashioned or steel cut oatmeal, cottage cheese, salmon, eggs, low GI veggies and fruit, peanut butter, avocados. You don't have to get rid of processed food entirely (some people advocate for clean eating, but I'm more of a IIFYM eater) but it shouldn't compose the majority of your diet.
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What is IIFYM? Sorry I'm not used to these acronyms :) And copy that on the less processed foods. I have done Ideal Protein and had fabulous success, then promptly regained almost all the weight after I got off the diet, I didn't really learn to eat healthier, I just was uber controlling about the food I consumed and focused on my list of what to eat every day. I felt trapped after a few months, I think I was too obsessive about it. I've also succeeded with weight watchers, although that was a few years ago, and am strongly considering joining again.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    What is IIFYM? Sorry I'm not used to these acronyms :) And copy that on the less processed foods. I have done Ideal Protein and had fabulous success, then promptly regained almost all the weight after I got off the diet, I didn't really learn to eat healthier, I just was uber controlling about the food I consumed and focused on my list of what to eat every day. I felt trapped after a few months, I think I was too obsessive about it. I've also succeeded with weight watchers, although that was a few years ago, and am strongly considering joining again.
    IIFYM = if it fits your macros. For example, if I have carbs and calories left at the end of the day and I want a cookie I can eat it. Try to eat mostly healthy foods, but if you want a treat and it fits your goals you can have it.