Strength training/heavy lifting for women

Options
I'm currently 250 lbs, just started cardio about a month ago. I've read a lot on the forums about lifting and ST to change body shape (in addition to the eating habits obviously at this weight). So my question is, for someone who is completely new to this, and doesn't have money for a gym membership or personal trainer, what do you suggest for me to get started?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Look into bodyweight exercises and/or resistance bands (they're pretty inexpensive).

You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren is a great book full of body weight workouts--there's an app as well.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book. I think it assumes some level of fitness already, but gives modifications for at-home gyms and body weight exercises too, along with nutrition advice.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question and got some really useful responses http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/894337-my-barbell-s-not-heavy-enough some of them may be helpful to you, though the situation isn't exactly the same.

You could also see if you can buy a dumbbell set or barbell 2nd hand/used online (e.g. local listings for 2nd hand stuff)
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys :) I appreciate your help.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Start with your own bodyweight:
    Squats (sit down, barely touch the chair and get up again, or deeper if your knees are okay)
    Lunges (I like to go across the room and back)
    Pushups against a wall (feet back a bit; move to a table as you get stronger, then a chair, then the floor)

Maybe try 3 sets of 10 repetitions of each to start. Less if you have to, more if you can.
    That doesn't cover everything, but it's a start. There are lots of internet resources for strength training at home, with or without weights.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!