Gluten free

Options
pinkeclipse
pinkeclipse Posts: 9 Member
Gluten free here and looking for some new recipes want to share?!

Eggs Florentine on Golden Polenta with “Skinny” Mustard Sauce

1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Saucy Mama Tarragon Lemon Mustard or Champagne Honey Mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
12 oz prepared polenta, cut into 8 1/2" rounds
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 (6 oz) bag baby spinach leaves
8 eggs, poached
Salt and pepper to taste

First, mix the yogurt, mayo, mustard, lemon juice and water together; set aside
Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the polenta slices and fry them over medium/low heat for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.

Add an additional teaspoon of oil to the skillet and add the fresh spinach. Saute for 3 or 4 minutes, or until wilted and heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the spinach from the skillet. Spoon the mustard sauce into the warm pan and cook for about a minute until heated through.
Arrange two polenta slices on a plate. Top each slice with 1/8 of the spinach and a poached egg. Drizzle the sauce over the egg; repeat for each polenta slice. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. This recipe will serve 4, two eggs each.
How easy was that? And thanks to the Saucy Mama mustard, the sauce is tasty, gluten free, and low in calories. In fact, you can eat two of the eggs with sauce for about 325 calories! Not too shabby.

Tried this it is so good!!!

Kim

Replies

• barneychelle
    barneychelle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease...I, for the most part, just sub out pretty much everything that I used to eat. If you need suggestions for substitutes let me know :-)
  • amylcleveland
    Options
    My Mom thinks that I may have problems with Gluten & Dairy because I get sick after I eat anything! It's been happening for years now, but I haven't had health insurance to go to the doctor. I was going to try & cut it out of my diet completely & see if I feel any better. Any favorite recipes or go to healthy snacks?
  • pinkeclipse
    Options
    I have gluten intolerant bad GI problems. So I decided to stop eating it. My GI tract has inproved greatly and no joint pain. If you have any recipes please share!
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this almond bread recipe today:

21/2 c almond flour
    3 eggs
    1/4 cup fat (butter, coconut oil, lard, duck fat, whatever)

Preheat oven to 300F.

Grease loaf pan.

Mix flour, eggs and fat into a batter. Press into pan.

Bake for an hour or so. A knife inserted into the loaf should come out clean

Let rest in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it to cool.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So many gluten free alternatives have no fibre. Here is a great fibre filled recipe.

Gluten Free Flax Seed Bread

Ingredients:
    •2 cups flax seed meal
    •1 Tablespoon baking powder
    •1 teaspoon salt
    •5 beaten eggs
    •1/2 cup water
    •1/3 cup oil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Turn these into flax fruit bars - I call these my fruity power bars

- Double eggs and baking powder, add 1 c dried cranberries, 1 c raisins, 1/2 c coconut, 1/2 c sesame seeds, 1/2 c date pureed in 1 c water.
    Cut into bars and freeze

Turn these into flax chocolate power bars

- Double eggs and baking powder, add 1 1/2 c cocoa, 1 c sugar, 1 c chocolate chips
    Cut into bars and freeze
  • pinkeclipse
    Options
    Wow thanks those sound great. Do you have the nutrition info. on them? Want to make sure i stay under my count!!!

Kim

14192422.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • l3long
    Options
    One pan with made with the 2 cups of flax seed cut into 16 bars would yield per bar, 187 cals, 7 g protein, 8 g carbs, 15 g fat. Seeds of course are not low cal but the carbs in this would be mostly fibre and they would also be very nutrient dense and filling.
  • amylcleveland
    Options
    That almond bread sounds delicious ! I will have to try it
  • l3long
    Options
    Found this great site

http://paleomg.com/sweet-plantain-drop-biscuits/

I made their chocolate zucchini bread last night (gluten and dairy free) want to try these plantain biscuits today.

Lynn
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to start cutting gluten because I've heard a lot of success stories about chronic migraine sufferers getting rid of their headaches completely by cutting out gluten.

There's an MFP group too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free
  • l3long
    Options
    Yes, when I was in my teens, gluten gave me migraines. In my late twenties, when the headaches disappeared, I went back on gluten ... big mistake ... now, in my forties, I cannot tolerate gluten or dairy. they give me significant digestive issues and from my reading I now realise I am probably lactose intolerant because of my refusal to cut out gluten. The damage to my digestive tract prevents me from producing the enzymes needed to digest lactose.