Joints popping/ cracking?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil pills - I think they help keep your joints moving (they offer other good health benefits, too). I'm not creaky anymore!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my shoulders and knees. It's not a problem if it isn't causing pain. According to my orthopedist, it is usually slight swelling in the joint (at least in my case). He says it's possibly tendonitis but that continuing to increase strength will reduce the stress and may reduce the clicking (which for me is more annoying than anything else).

I have traumatic ankle osteoarthritis (had a couple surgeries on it) and that causes painful clicking, grinding and crunching. It is the reason I don't run on concrete or asphalt. When I do something that creates too great an impact on my ankle, it grinds and then crunches and gets stuck. I have limited flexibility and extreme pain (I'm talking about the kind of pain that wakes you up in the middle of the night) for a couple days. This is something that you would want to see your doctor about. I wear a brace on that ankle when I'm doing anything that could cause more than normal stress on that joint but try not to do too much in the brace because it will cause greater atrophy than there already is (or make my other leg work harder to compensate).
  • Funnyfishat40
    Funnyfishat40 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be gas, yes it can be harmless however It can also be a sign of things to come,
    my ankles started like this when I was younger (13/14) it turned out to be my tendons popping over the joint and rubbing
    eventually the tendon wore away leading to increasing pain and eventually surgery (16) (had to be done again 12 years later)
    I have since had the same problem with my shoulder (26) , more surgery and my spine (38), again more surgery and currently looking down the barrel the gun that will be for my thumbs, this is not the problem for all I know BUT when the popping turns into popping and swelling OR aching after exercise, get it checked, Please xxx
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    :huh: I'm going to come back to this later because everything of mine pops like that.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My knees, elbows, shoulders and hips pop. No pain.

According to my doc and personal trainer, as long as there isn't pain, it's not a problem. Most likely, tendons moving over or around the joints.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time, in most of my joints.

Usually there's no pain, just a loud noise, ranging from clicking to popping to cracking. The only time I get pain is lifting weights and I lock or overextend my arms. I find if I keep my joints soft and don't lock them, there's no issue.
  • elliev30
    elliev30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What about Glucosmine? My daughter told me to take it to lubricate my joints.. I have that same problem with the crackling in my knees... Does anyone know if it works or helps? (Great topic BTW.. glad you brought this up)
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just started taking glucosamine/MSM. Have only been taking it for a few days... I'll let you know if it starts to help.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What about Glucosmine? My daughter told me to take it to lubricate my joints.. I have that same problem with the crackling in my knees... Does anyone know if it works or helps? (Great topic BTW.. glad you brought this up)

I've been taking 2 a day for over a year and it hasn't changed anything.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I already take fish oil as part of my vitamins. I guess when I think about it, one of my ankles cracks sometimes too.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

There are a variety of things you can take. I once read that there are over 100 different kinds of arthritis. I have gouty osteoarthritis with some mild rheumatic aspects affecting my hands. What works for me may not work for someone else. The first thing that you must fight in all arthritic conditions is inflammation. MSM is commonly recommended as an anti-inflammatory and it is used in many arthritis products along with glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. It does cause stomach upset for some---but I have been taking an MSM, glucosamine/chondrotin product for many years with good effect. Turmeric (the yellow spice used in curries) is a great anti-inflammatory with none of the serious side effects of NSAIDs (kidney and liver issues and severe gastric bleeding is possible with NSAIDs). You will want to take it with food though as it can irritate the stomach when taken alone and gradually increase the amount you take (I take it in capsules) to let your bowel get used to it (it has also been shown to be a potent retarder of bowel cancer cells as well). Turmeric is probably one of the best all around spices you can take for a variety of ailments (since inflammation is one characteristic of almost all chronic disease). Another great herbal anti-inflammatory is bromelain (an extract from the pineapple plant). It helps with range of motion because it will increase flexibility in the joint over time. There are combination products of turmeric (the active anti-inflammatory in it is curcumin) and bromelain. Another good one is ginger. There are other herbs, but I found most of them to be too irritating to my stomach)---cat's claw, boswelia, celery seed extract. There is one called berberine that should be used VERY sparingly as it tends to be toxic if too much is used too often--you'd probably have a difficult time even finding it as a single product but it is in golden seal. Fish oil is also good as an anti-inflammatory. If you take it in supplement form, the best products are "molecularly distilled" and tested for PCBs and other assorted nasties.

I've heard that chasteberry (also called vitex) is good for rheumatoid arthritis because it promotes progesterone production and progesterone has a very mild immuno-suppressive action (the pregnant woman's body makes a LOT of progesterone in order to force her body to accept the "foreign" DNA of her baby). Since rheumatoid is a result of the victim's immune system attacking the joints, anything that has an immune system suppressing effect can be helpful. I take bio-identical progesterone directly and I believe this helps keep my rheumatoid factors down.

Avoiding sugar is critical for lots of reasons but especially if you have a tendency to gout, as I do. Doctors usually tell those with gouty arthritis to avoid purine-rich food to lower uric acid levels (gout is the result of levels of uric acid that are too high). One thing that they miss though, is that fructose is converted to uric acid in the human body. Since sucrose is 50% fructose, the 500 calories worth of sugar (i.e. sucrose) that the average person eats in a day, is raising uric acid levels across the board. Researchers say that what is considered "normal" now would have been considered as somewhat elevated in the past. A piece or two of low-fructose fruit per day won't cause a problem but large amounts of fructose are detrimental. There are drugs for gout like allopurinol but I'm told that there are lots of side effects.

A note about glucosamine/ chondroitn products. They don't help everyone. Again--each individual case of arthritis has different aspects to it. One product that I especially like is egg shell membrane (you can make your own by boiling organic egg shells---there's a recipe on the web). I buy it in capsule form just because I can't be bothered with making it myself. It is very restorative to the joints and ligaments around the joints. I hurt my knee last May and it is almost back to normal again. I think that the egg shell membrane helped the most when I started using it.

And finally, pool exercise or swimming produces joint magic. I highly recommend it for anyone who is at the beginning stages of joint problems. I know a 78 year old lady who was told 23 years ago that she would likely have to have her knees replaced in five years. She refused to accept that diagnosis and, instead, started religiously attending pool exercise twice a week (and she lifts weights). She's still going strong and has all her own joints. :smile: