Sleep & your health - including weightloss

Options
My gym, Lifetime Fitness has a great magazine called Experience Life. This is an article I thought might be of interest to some people. I NEVER get enough sleep. I guess I shoudl try harder. http://experiencelife.com/article/the-healing-power-of-sleep/

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont feel like reading the article how much sleep do they recommend is 6hours too little?
  • letbc
    letbc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The article stated that most people do well with 7-8 hours of sleep. Some people need 10!! I'll never be able to do that. It did say -

"To test the hypothesis, she recruited a group of young men to spend four nights in her lab. For two nights the men were allowed to sleep only four hours, and for two nights their rest period was 10 hours. Importantly, two hormones that regulate appetite changed radically when the subjects slept less: Leptin, which signals the brain to feel full and stop eating, decreased by 18 percent, and ghrelin, the hunger hormone, increased by 28 percent"

It also mentioned that when you are up late you tend to snack & take in extra calories.