Question about calories and HRM (Crane)

Options
So I got a cheapo HRM for Valentine's day (waiting on the newer FitBit, which is what I really wanted but its not out til later this year.) Anyway, I tested it against the treadmill for HR and calories, and it was pretty accurate, off by a small amount (about 50 calorie difference and about 10 beats under on the HR) But for the whole 24 hours it says I only used 1344 calories. Does that mean my metabolism is low, or is that just the "extra" on top of BMR? I am kind of confused about this. The steps counted were over 24,000 for the whole day so I think I am kind of active, I would have expected to burn much more than this. The 1344 was including my hour long workout (all cardio yesterday.)

I guess I am just confused by all of this. FYI, the HRM watch I got is a cheap one from Aldi's, you enter your height/weight/age, etc. and it has a pedometer, average speed, average pace, heartrate beeps if it goes above or below your target range, etc. and it records how many miles youve traveled also. Maybe I am doing something wrong with how I am working it? Its a Crane, so if anyone has one I would like to hear from you!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    HRM use an algorithm based on a relatively high intensity workout and high HR. Therefore, the algorithm is not valid when you are sitting around and sleeping. For now, guesstimate your expenditures based off of online calculators. Wait until you get the new fitbit for 24 hour data.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRM's are not correct for non-steady state cardio where your HR is elevated. Even then it is just an estimate using HR as an estimate of intensity and oxygen intake, etc.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't really designed for or accurate for round the clock use, they are for exercise sessions. Your FitBit will give you a much better idea when you get it.

I've also got an Aldi Crane HRM but only use the strap now which feeds my heart rate to the gym equipment which is so much more accurate than the calorie calculation on the watch!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Are you waiting for the bracelet version of FitBit? The Ultra I have is pretty good but having a bracelet you have to wear all the time might be more annoying than something you can hide in your pocket or clip to your bra.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Oh, OK, I have never had a HRM before so I was confused about its uses. :) Thanks everyone... I was kind of worried by that low number considering I normally eat more than that in a day! :)
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Are you waiting for the bracelet version of FitBit? The Ultra I have is pretty good but having a bracelet you have to wear all the time might be more annoying than something you can hide in your pocket or clip to your bra.

yes, I am waiting on the bracelet. I dont think it will bother me at all, I cant wait for it to come out! :0